• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I giving enough pellets?

myfriendpiegan

Warren Scout
My mini lop is nearly 11 weeks old and I have had him for just over a week now - initially I was filling his bowl to the top with the dry mix he ate before I had him, gradually mixing in the pellets I bought. At first he was leaving a fair amount of caecals (cecos?)

The past few days I have cut down the amount of dry food he has to a very small handful twice a day. Yesterday I still found a couple of caecals under my bed :roll::evil:, but Bun seems very hungry, waiting by his food bowl!

Any advice? I don't want him leaving the caecals as I know it is important that he eats these, but I have read that rabbits under 7 months should have access to unlimited pellets. Am I underfeeding? Of course he has 24 hour access to unlimited Timothy hay, which I replace every morning (and sometimes top up in the afternoon if it looks a little dirty).

Thanks in advance for any help, this forum is absolutely invaluable to a first-time owner like me! Both Bunchkin and I thank you all for your time and wonderful advice :)

My mini lop is nearly 11 weeks old and I have had him for just over a week now - initially I was filling his bowl to the top with the dry mix he ate before I had him, gradually mixing in the pellets I bought. At first he was leaving a fair amount of caecals (cecos?)

The past few days I have cut down the amount of dry food he has to a very small handful twice a day. Yesterday I still found a couple of caecals under my bed :roll::evil:, but Bun seems very hungry, waiting by his food bowl!

Any advice? I don't want him leaving the caecals as I know it is important that he eats these, but I have read that rabbits under 7 months should have access to unlimited pellets. Am I underfeeding? Of course he has 24 hour access to unlimited Timothy hay, which I replace every morning (and sometimes top up in the afternoon if it looks a little dirty).

Thanks in advance for any help, this forum is absolutely invaluable to a first-time owner like me! Both Bunchkin and I thank you all for your time and wonderful advice :)

Unlimited pellets you say. Might I suggest your problem may lie there

What pellets are you feeding? Are they Excel per chance?

Unlimited pellets up until 6-7 months is a bit excessive, I cut down around 3-4 months around the time of Biscuits neuter.

I'd personally start to slowly cut down, over the space of a week or two, so eventually, bun is on ~1 eggcupful per day. They simply don't need anymore. Think of pellets as sweets to bunnies!

Then it works out to be 85% hay, 5% pellets, 10% greenery/forage.

EDIT: Sorry, can't read :lol:

Last edited:
If you read again the op says she has cut there bun down to a small handful. You are right that he should have unlimited why he is so young but its all about monitoring him and if he was having to many caecals(sp) then yes you are right to cut him down a bit

What pellets are you feeding? Are they Excel per chance?

Unlimited pellets up until 6-7 months is a bit excessive, I cut down around 3-4 months around the time of Biscuits neuter.

I'd personally start to slowly cut down, over the space of a week or two, so eventually, bun is on ~1 eggcupful per day. They simply don't need anymore. Think of pellets as sweets to bunnies!

Then it works out to be 85% hay, 5% pellets, 10% greenery/forage.

EDIT: Sorry, can't read :lol:

He has Pets at Home pellets and I have yet to introduce any greenery to his diet - is he old enough for this? :oops:

;)

Gray makes a good point about Excel pellets, they do tend to cause excess cecals. Also it may take a little while longer for things to balance out after reducing pellets.

He's on Pets at Home pellets, are these known to have a similar effect?

It could well be that his tummy is still settling, balancing out as you say :)

He's on Pets at Home pellets, are these known to have a similar effect?

It could well be that his tummy is still settling, balancing out as you say :)

I believe they are made by the same company. I would wait a few weeks and see if it settles and if not consider changing pellets. When you do change though do it gradually. Start with a week of 75% of the old 25% of the new, then 50/50 for a week then 75% new, 25% old for a week.

I believe they are made by the same company. I would wait a few weeks and see if it settles and if not consider changing pellets. When you do change though do it gradually. Start with a week of 75% of the old 25% of the new, then 50/50 for a week then 75% new, 25% old for a week.

Thanks for the advice :) I will monitor him closely and review in a few weeks!:thumb:

Hi fellow new bunny owner :wave:

I would agree with limiting his nuggets to an egg cup a day, I know you may find it difficult if you have been giving him unlimited but just gradually reduce it little by little, he is still young for veg but you could introduce a little bit here & there to break him in gently, thats what I have been doing & my bunny is now enjoying his veg (he's 14 weeks old). Try greens first as root veg i.e. carrott is a little harder on the tummy. What you do with the hay is perfect! :D

Hi fellow new bunny owner :wave:

I would agree with limiting his nuggets to an egg cup a day, I know you may find it difficult if you have been giving him unlimited but just gradually reduce it little by little, he is still young for veg but you could introduce a little bit here & there to break him in gently, thats what I have been doing & my bunny is now enjoying his veg (he's 14 weeks old). Try greens first as root veg i.e. carrott is a little harder on the tummy. What you do with the hay is perfect! :D

Hello :wave:

Thanks for the advice! Bun will be over the moon to hear he can try a bit of greenery I'm sure :lol:

I gave unlimited pellets until 4 months, but my buns weren't that concerned with eating pellets when they were small so they didn't eat that much more than an adult and they still ate plenty of hay and greens. I started them off on Spring Greens and Romaine Lettuce (very small amounts to begin with) every night.

I think it really does depend on your rabbit. If he is pooing normally on what you are feeding him then I wouldn't worry to much about reducing until he is a bit older, but if he seems to have a 'dodgy tummy' then I'd slowly cut down or try a different pellet.
:)

Back