• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I feeding to little?

becca114

Young Bun
My bunnies get a handful of alfalfa bunny mix each in the morning and a bit of veg at night. Of course, they have unlimited hay which they love. At mealtimes they go frantic like they haven't eaten in a week, is this just excitement or are they starving? They seem to be a healthy weight.

My bunnies get a handful of alfalfa bunny mix each in the morning and a bit of veg at night. Of course, they have unlimited hay which they love. At mealtimes they go frantic like they haven't eaten in a week, is this just excitement or are they starving? They seem to be a healthy weight.

As far as I know, most bunnies tell (lie to) their owners that they are poor starved creatures that haven't eaten for weeks....:lol:
(Of course some of the horror stories you read on these pages will tell you some bunnies really are neglected to such a point, but not the bunnies of the people who post on here..)
Hay is their main diet, plus a few veggies, anything else is a bonus and a treat. Although other owners will disagree, a handful of pellets (dependant on bunny size) per day is fine. I split mine so they have half in the morning and half in the evening.

They need high fibre food, which doesn't contain too much nutrition, (like they would eat in the wild) and then they browse on it most of the day, which keeps their ever-growing teeth ground down.
But they will still tell you how starving they are, and prefer the nice tasty pellet food, cos it's easier for them. Like fast food without the bad bits!!

I don't know if bunnies know if they are full up, like we do after a large meal. They seem to go on nibbling all the time.

Bunnies are funny critters, that's why we love 'em xx

It all depends on the size of the rabbit, but that sounds about right. As Bunnyhopper said, rabbits are designed to live of quite a nutritionally poor diet. Don't trust your rabbit when it acts like its still hungry! I did and as a result Rowan ended up getting fat because I never thought she was getting enough :oops: course she's fine now and has a strict diet of about a handful of pellets, few veg and lots of hay :D

Mine get a closed handful of pellets each, once a day (apart from melanie who has another handful for afternoon tea - she's a 4 month old giant and she gets hungry in the afternoon. Pellets stop her eating the house!!)

Unlimited hay and some veg at night. As long as they have unlimited hay and water they'll be fine.

Ive heard it said that a good sign of a healthy rabbit is being hungry at mealtimes. Do you weigh them? Checking that they are maintaining and not loosing weight might reassure you :)

:wave: mine is the same she is always craving for food and would eat anything.. please make sure your rabbit'weight is ok for his size and just leave him with his hay to chew during the day to occupy him.. and no food between meals otherwise they put on weight which is harmfull for their health and at short term their lives.. I also give a table spoon full of rabbit's industrial food in the morning with a branch of "fenouil" to eat.. hay all day and night, and in the evening I give vegetables : fenouil, endive, carrot pealed, washed and dried up because of pesticides, and a tea spoon of rabbits mix but she weight about 2kg (lops ears)

you can check the weight of your bun by standing on the scales (I switch to Kg so I don't know how much I really weigh), then stand on with the bun. Trouble is that weights within a breed can vary a lot. I have 2 dwarf lops. One ways 2.5 kg and one 1.8 kg. They are both fully grown and near perfect in terms of how much weight they carry. I tend to feel mines ribs and look at their dewlap area & take a peak when they run past to make sure they are looking about right.

Oh and ps....my buns would eat a whole bag of pellets and still act hungry.

My buns have before!! :shock:

Pellets now stored very high up!!!! :lol: :roll:

mmmmm sooty lept onto his carrier and somehow pulled box the box of treats beetroot treats that was on the side. I came home to an empty box and purple pee :shock: Oh and they were still begging for their dinner.

Mine go absolutely manic at tea times- however they are far from starved and have the best hay in Brum to keep them going throughout the day.
They are just trying to con me that they are really really hungry!

Having said that we have just come back off holiday and I think our bunnysitters have been a little too generous with the grub as both of them still had some left in their bowls (a very rare occurence!) Needless to say they are back to normal rations today and back to rattling the bars at tea time!

Back