• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Allergies

Apologies if this is the wrong section. My friend has a severe allegic reaction to her rabbits fur, not just contact allergy from touching, and has athsma. She is considering trying 'Petal Cleanse', a product designed to go on the fur of the rabbit to stop the allergens affecting humans. Has anyone used this and if so, what do you think of it? I am generally against washing or treating rabbits with anything like that because scent is so important to them. But, they are desperate to keep her and want to try it. They really love her, she is a freerange house rabbit and they are considering a companion. She is a single rabbit so this treatment won't create problems with a companion or anything at the moment. Any advice gratefully received.

Has she spoken to her Doctor about it? He may prescribe an anti-histamine nasal spray, for example. As she has asthma she MUST speak to her Doc first and not just buy one over the counter in case it affects her asthma/asthma medication.

However, if it is seriously affecting her health and can bring on an asthma attack, I would genuinely be worried about it and would give the thought of rehoming some extremely serious thought. Asthma attacks can and have killed people.

And they're thinking of buying another rabbit? :shock: I'm sorry - this isn't going to be very helpful I'm afraid, but I really do believe they shouldn't have any. Sorry to be blunt.

Last edited:
I think you have misunderstood. They truly love their rabbit Scarlet and want to do whatever it takes to mean that she can stay even if it means buying this treatment often. They feel it is not Scarlets fault that suddenly her fur is causing my friends allergies to flare up so they are being very responsible by asking me for advice. I have suggested converting Scarlet to an outdoor bunny after the Winter but getting her a friend so that she is not alone out there, hence considering a companion as I said. In the meantime they want to try this petal cleanse treatment as they know she will not survive the winter if they put her out now when she has been an indoor bunny. In an ideal world they would not have taken Scarlet on but I have athsma and it is not a problem with the fur, everyone reacts differently. This is a recent problem after having Scarlet indoors for 3 years without any problems. Rehoming her is their last resort because she is a much loved family member so I was just sussing out whether this petal cleanse is all its cracked up to be and whether anyone on here has had any problems with it. However, if they cannot find a solution they will be contacting Rabbit Recue Residence about rehoming.

has your friend tried a nasal spray? You dont say. I mention this as I developed allergies to my house bunny, fur i think, and was at the point where I could only stroke him wearing a mask and had to make sure there was not fur on me at all, ever.... but then my doctor suggested the nasal spray and it has changed everything. I still cant breathe in lots of fur but as long as i spray twice a day I can cuddle my bunny :)

Back