• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agressive Girl?

Petitepuppet

Young Bun
I have a 2yr old netherland dwarf who I cannot touch because she just runs away or growls and stamps her feet at me. I have had her since she was 9 wk old and I have really tried to be her friend but she just wont have it. What do I do?

No she hasnt been spayed. I spoke to a vet about it and he said that because she is now in the habit of being aggressive that spaying her may not be much help.

I feel awful, because I really dont think she is happy:(.

No she hasnt been spayed. I spoke to a vet about it and he said that because she is now in the habit of being aggressive that spaying her may not be much help.

I feel awful, because I really dont think she is happy:(.

:? Im not saying your vet is wrong, but the advice isnt great :? I think you ought to get her neutered, as it may well help calm her down.

have a read of this:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ourwork/neutering.asp

Some points on there as to why neutering is advised in a female bunny, and it also states it can help with agression :) It may not stop the agression totally but surely its worth a try? It may also be worth considering getting your bunny a friend xXx

You need to look at lots of things here, where is she housed, how much interaction and exercise does she get? Also does she have enough to keep her busy, plenty of hay and hidey holes in her enclosure? Ideally go back to basics and sit on the floor and let her come to you, speak quietly and hand feed her 'greens' everyday. Do you pick her up a lot? Whilst doe's can be hormonal you need to establish that she is not unhappy or in pain with anything which may involve a trip to the vet. You then need to spend a lot of time letting her come to you, avoid picking her up and build her trust. If she is healthy, I would get her spayed and a neutered male from a rescue, a rescue should bond them for you if you are unsure. There can be many reasons for aggression apart from hormones and you just need to work through the list to eliminate other things aswell. Best of luck, lots of patience and time at her level will pay off eventually but, spaying will help providing she is happy with her surroundings and is not in pain or anything x

I had the most aggressive rabbit you could imagine! She would chase me out the garden, grunt at me, attack me and alsorts. she was 9 months old and I rescued her.

I then got her speyed and within a month she was lovely. she quietened down so much :)

Definately worth doing~!

I feel awful, because I really dont think she is happy

And yet the vet SHOULD have recommended spaying her anyway, for health reasons :roll: It's common for unspayed females to get uterine cancer.

Dont feel too bad, you're still trying and caring after two years :D Get her spayed and if you can have another rabbit, then get her a friend. At least she'll be happy with her friend even if she still doesnt like you so much ;) (Out of my two, Muppet loves me but Sooty - as yet still unspayed female - thinks I'm a nuisance! But she loves him so I know she's happy.)

Thank you very much everyone. I am going to speak to a vet about having her spayed and then maybe look into getting her a friend. At least that way even if she dosnt want to be near me, she wont be lonely. Plus all the local rescue centres have a ton of rabbits at the moment. In the meantime I am going to go back to basics.

I will update this and let you know how she is coming along.

Thanks again x

Back