• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

agouti rabbit in garden centre

She is a hunny:D At last this gorgeous bunny will have a loving home, I don't believe in getting animals from pet shops now either, but sometimes fate lends a helping hand, she was meant to be;)

Her name is under debate :rolleyes: My OH wants Lene (pronounces lay-na) after a singer he likes (and fancies :lol: ) He thinks he deserves it because we agreed just to have two before and he didn't stop me getting her :roll: But I'm not so sure, lol.

Becky x

Last edited:
Well done you!!! a bunny saved from an awful life.

Good luck with her and i wish you many happy years together xxx

some things are meant to be . . . she looks just like one I 'adopted' from PAH (who had been 'returned to shop' 3 times!!!).

Agoutis are so lovely!

She is a beauty :love: i'm so pleased you decided to get her, you'dve never forgiven yourself if you'd left it too long & she'd been sent back to the breeder.

Perhaps, life isn't fair I'm afraid and it never will be. If we all took in every unwanted petshop pun that pulled at our heart strings not only would be over run by rabbits but possibly endangering the rabbits we already own, plus the pet shops will only bring in more to replace those rabbits.
We can't rescue everyone or every rabbit.

They would replace them anyway, you don’t think by leaving the rabbit there that the pet shop in question would continue to look after it for the rest of its life do you? Of course not. It would either be returned to the breeder or be gotton rid of to a mum on an impulse sprint for free. It may even end up at a rescue. But if somebody experienced was to get the bun (and usually only the people who are willing to pay for an older rabbit in a shop is likely to keep it) then its not going to end up at a rescue or worse have an horrible life. No animal lover would say it was ok to forget about a poor helpless animal “in need”.

ahhhhh a happy ending, she looks like my Tilly who I have rehomed, had her 3 weeks now, and itching to get her a husband. Still working on my husband to let me.

They would replace them anyway, you don’t think by leaving the rabbit there that the pet shop in question would continue to look after it for the rest of its life do you? Of course not. It would either be returned to the breeder or be gotton rid of to a mum on an impulse sprint for free. It may even end up at a rescue. But if somebody experienced was to get the bun (and usually only the people who are willing to pay for an older rabbit in a shop is likely to keep it) then its not going to end up at a rescue or worse have an horrible life. No animal lover would say it was ok to forget about a poor helpless animal “in need”.

But they'd just get another rabbit in to sell to a mum as an impulse buy and make twice the profit.
I always compare it to vegetarianisms - if you believe in a cause you follow it no matter how small a drop in the ocean it seems. Vegetarians don't say "Oh, we might as well buy that pack of mince then, the cow is already dead so what difference does it make?"

But they'd just get another rabbit in to sell to a mum as an impulse buy and make twice the profit.
I always compare it to vegetarianisms - if you believe in a cause you follow it no matter how small a drop in the ocean it seems. Vegetarians don't say "Oh, we might as well buy that pack of mince then, the cow is already dead so what difference does it make?"

All I mean is, if the people (like the author of this thread) gets a rabbit that has been sat in a shop for ages is more likely to keep it then somebody who gets a cute baby one from the beginning. This lady would never buy a cute baby bun from a shop but she has homed an older one from a similar environment and it will stay in her home for the rest of its life. Inexperienced people who just want a cute bunny will probably lose interest by the time it’s the same age s this one. So I think if a rabbit has been sat in a shop for awhile I don’t think there is a problem to get it because chances are it will be removed for worse uses. Either way it will be replaced sold or not.

All I mean is, if the people (like the author of this thread) gets a rabbit that has been sat in a shop for ages is more likely to keep it then somebody who gets a cute baby one from the beginning. This lady would never buy a cute baby bun from a shop but she has homed an older one from a similar environment and it will stay in her home for the rest of its life. Inexperienced people who just want a cute bunny will probably lose interest by the time it’s the same age s this one. So I think if a rabbit has been sat in a shop for awhile I don’t think there is a problem to get it because chances are it will be removed for worse uses. Either way it will be replaced sold or not.

Of course, there are some situations where if a petshop's had an animal sit in the shop for a while, they may decide that animal doesn't sell well enough and "discontinue" it after selling the last one, but from experience working in petshops and being friends with someone who is managerss of a petshop that until recently sold animals, that's not how the majority of them work. They'll continue to "stock" that animal regardless - and yes, it's not nice if they take the easy option and send the animal back to the 'supplier', BUT it will teach them more of a lesson in what we think of them selling animals than going and giving them money! By buying these heart-string cases it just proves that they can sell animals no matter what age they are, so why stop selling them?
One or two people speaking with their purse and not buying a rabbit might not make a huge difference but the saying "every little helps" is true and it soon adds up. It's not just forum members, but those that the members advice and influence too. Even when I worked in petshops selling animals, I managed to convice a fair few customers to adopt from rescues instead of buying from the petshop - I'd say I convinced about 5 people a month minimum, so working there for 6 months that's 30 people, if 10 other members of the forum on here did the same that's 300 people, etc. - OK, still not a huge amount compared to the amount of petshops etc. but it's still 300 less rabbits that will be bred to replace the ones we've bought out of pity - and I'm sure you've heard of the starfish story and how seemingly useless actions against a majority still make a difference to the minority involved.

You know what Becky? I am a newbie here and as such read this thread from start to finish and by post number 2 by you I SO KNEW you'd get her!!!:lol: KNOW HOW I KNEW THAT??? Purely because I would have done EXACTLY THE SAME THING!!!;)

I am NOT one for pet store buys when it comes to animals as they are in it for profit. In fact, just the other day while my Mum was visiting me she insisted we visited a very well known pet store in order that she may purchase "goodies" for her 17 year old cats...in fairness the store kept their rabbits in large enclosures with one rabbit per enclosure BUT charged £26 per rabbit and advised buying 2 (desite the fact that they weren't housed together and goodness knows whether they'd get on!) for £35. They had a little note attatched to each enclosure too that stated "We try our best to give accurate information with regards to sex of rabbit"...SO that's "buy 2 and you try your best for £35 then?" TRANSLATED: NOT our fault if you end up with babies!!!...:rolleyes:

They are INDEED in it for profit but frankly, in your situation? - Damn right I would have dissed my principles if I couldn't get her out of my head!!!
I wish you the very best with her and your trio per say. She looks and sounds a LOVELY rabbit and I'm very glad that she found somebody that cared enough to give her a chance despite her unfortunate placement in a pet store. I personally would have maybe shown interest to staff and told them to contact me when ready to "send back to breeder" (or kept popping in with same message!) with a view of getting said rabbit for free or minimal price in a bid to minimise profit from selling animals in this manner - but all said and done, if my HEART was set? YUP! Would have done EXACTLY the same thing - Sorry Ben's mum. ;)

Yep i would have done the same thing too, sometimes you have to do what YOU feel is right, well done :) shes beautiful

well done shes going to have a great life now!!!

i think you made the right choice, fair enough by buying a pet shop bun you are contributing to "the cycle" but in this case they were going to replace her anyway with babies that are more likely to sell.

plus in a few months time it would have been HER babies in that shop!

so technically you have taken a bun out of "the cycle" because they cant breed from her and add more buns to it!

She has such a cute little face...bless her.

I love agoutis and she is a real cutie pie. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your new addition.

Love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

moved from agouti rabbit in garden centre

What a shame, when there are lots of agouti bunnies in rescue. You could have helped those that are trying to help rabbits rather than profit from them. You have encouraged them to carry on doing what many of us want to see stopped, which is for them to stop selling animals.

Back