• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advise please, Orion is subdued :(

thank you all xx [emoji173]️

we’re en route to the vets now, they have one appointment left but they basically said get here for when you can.

he seems better this morning with his ear up but his head is still tilted.

I gave in and he had 0.4ml of metacam at midnight, maybe the wrong thing to do but he looked so miserable like snoopy did [emoji20] it wasn’t much as he’s 2kg roughly so I hope that was okay.

even so I want a check over to be sure!!

I will check the fb page when I am home, thank you so much jane [emoji173]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that dose will be fine, I was giving my head tilt bun more than that as directed by the vet and he weighed just under 2kg at the time. At least it'll take the edge off any pain he might be in. Also don't beat yourself up about spending your money, you weren't to know this was going to happen, these things never happen at the best time!

In my experience with Teddy, you could be in for a long journey depending on what is diagnosed. My boy was up and down for a few months, but I think that's because he wasn't given long enough treatment prior to me adopting him. I know I haven't been on the forum long but if you need any practical tips for helping him cope with his tilt while he recovers feel free to message me. All the best for a swift recovery.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what you mean by "I would just take him to out of hours and sort payment tomorrow"?

I wish it was that simple but I'm running on limited money.. I have £300 for vet bills on hand currently, and a consult at the out of hours is £200 I'm pretty sure.. that leaves me with nothing over after consult for medical costs and I don't know how much insurance will cover.. or if my vet (or the out of hours) will do direct insurance claims.

I was stupid, I had enough and things were stable, boyf was going to get a job, so I brought myself a new phone, otherwise I could have gone to the out of hours vet now. I didn't think two weeks later we'd still be trying to finalise boyf job, and we've been waiting for 3 days on his mother to provide past moving dates as they want 5 years previous address. she is the type of person unless she's getting money or something out of it, she quite frankly doesn't care. he isn't sure and doesn't want to cause issues via guessing and being way off.

I am the idiot here, I know that. but I didn't expect this to happen knowing he is a young & healthy rabbit, with no issues prior at all and a clean bill of health. ofc that doesn't mean jack for rabbits and I should have known better.

he's doing okay, eating some herbs & grass slowly.. Luna is a bit subdued but she is more than likely picking up on my stress.

I just meant I would get him seen straight away and worry about payment once I knew what I was dealing with. Didn’t mean for you to take offence. I hope he is ok.

I don't trust out of hours vets, I'll be honest. when I've had contact with them they've been rude or dismissed any issues. when they got ahold of chocolate they told me it was nothing and hung up on me. the amount of out of hours vets who have offered ill advise or even killed rabbits just because they don't know is.. well heartbreaking to say the least. he's eating fine and chilling out, he's not cold nor hot either (offered a cooling pad and a heating one). Luna is attentively staying by him, she's a little subdued but I do think she's picking up on my stress and is clearly worried about her brother. I carried him down stairs and she stood by the door shaking the baby gate waiting for him, when I brought him back she jumped onto the bed and began furiously grooming him.

she is stealing critical care though the little monkey :lol:

Sending loads of vibes for you and Orion xx

can say I'm exhausted and spacey due to the medication but I'll be alright :)

she can see what there is something wrong with his right ear, it looks more inflamed than his left one and his right reflexes seemed a little slow. she doesn't think its EC or anything too dangerous as his head straighter now. he kept trying to fight her when she went to look in his ear :lol: she is hesitant to do any in depth studying for the moment as she doesn't want to stress him out and possibly make things worse with upsetting his immune system etc.

he's on antibiotics and metacam too, as after his metacam dosage he's perked up and his head went back to normal so to speak, so it does seem like he was holding it funny due to pain. he is so very loving though, its kinda nice lol

he's still a bit subdued and grumpy but I think that's to be expected. he's nibbling hay now which I think he didn't want too as it was too difficult with his head being sideways. he's showing interest in food so I'll continue to monitor him.

we have an appointment next week for a follow up, to check how his ear is doing even if he seems like he's doing okay.

she did mention that she's had a few other bunnies come in recently with ear infections for no seeming reason, some bunnies seem to react to all the pollen in the air which irritates their ears causing more earwax to build up, creating a good breeding ground for bacteria.

usually she would give ear drops but she isn't sure how deep the infection is, whether its only outer or if it goes into inner ear, so ear drops could cause an issue.

I'm happy with how things went and I hope he continues to improve, we can only hope at this point.

a3f70439a45e12545a54f291fd648bce.jpg
fe4d918daadb41d376cb016b9de84cb0.jpg

“no i won’t accept your “I’m sorry treats”.. go away hoomin”

a3f70439a45e12545a54f291fd648bce.jpg
fe4d918daadb41d376cb016b9de84cb0.jpg

“no i won’t accept your “I’m sorry treats”.. go away hoomin”

He's looking a lot more perky this morning. Hopefully the abx and Metacam will sort out the infection quickly. He is certainly a very handsome Rex, although I may be a tad biased about Rexes !!

Sending him lots of get well soon vibes.............oh and and some de-spacey vibes for you xx

can say I'm exhausted and spacey due to the medication but I'll be alright :)

she can see what there is something wrong with his right ear, it looks more inflamed than his left one and his right reflexes seemed a little slow. she doesn't think its EC or anything too dangerous as his head straighter now. he kept trying to fight her when she went to look in his ear :lol: she is hesitant to do any in depth studying for the moment as she doesn't want to stress him out and possibly make things worse with upsetting his immune system etc.

he's on antibiotics and metacam too, as after his metacam dosage he's perked up and his head went back to normal so to speak, so it does seem like he was holding it funny due to pain. he is so very loving though, its kinda nice lol

he's still a bit subdued and grumpy but I think that's to be expected. he's nibbling hay now which I think he didn't want too as it was too difficult with his head being sideways. he's showing interest in food so I'll continue to monitor him.

we have an appointment next week for a follow up, to check how his ear is doing even if he seems like he's doing okay.

she did mention that she's had a few other bunnies come in recently with ear infections for no seeming reason, some bunnies seem to react to all the pollen in the air which irritates their ears causing more earwax to build up, creating a good breeding ground for bacteria.

usually she would give ear drops but she isn't sure how deep the infection is, whether its only outer or if it goes into inner ear, so ear drops could cause an issue.

I'm happy with how things went and I hope he continues to improve, we can only hope at this point.

Ah i'm so glad :) Hope he recovers well - and he's very cute - but like Jane, bit biased about Rexes :p they're hands down my favourite bunny breed I think :)

I have to admit, I love rex’s. it’s why I was so picky as I wanted another. a lot of other rabbits aren’t my thing, I’m not keen on lop ears. rex coats are wonderful too [emoji7] i’ll be sure to join the fan club lol!

I do agree he’s more perked up, not himself though as he wants to do nothing for really. understandable but I want my little goofball back

I’ve let them have a run outside now as I hope some grass and fresh air will do him good. he’s very submissive and scared, which is odd. he’s “snaking” across the pen the entire time. could his hearing be a bit off? he looks very scared at times but he is also eating. I’m not sure.

that being said he’s just scratched me!! he’s still very feisty which is a good sign, he hasnt taken lunas idea of sitting nicely for meds.

e9a90c52070a2ace8b12e40e8427bec8.jpg

I have to admit, I love rex’s. it’s why I was so picky as I wanted another. a lot of other rabbits aren’t my thing, I’m not keen on lop ears. rex coats are wonderful too [emoji7] i’ll be sure to join the fan club lol!

I do agree he’s more perked up, not himself though as he wants to do nothing for really. understandable but I want my little goofball back

I’ve let them have a run outside now as I hope some grass and fresh air will do him good. he’s very submissive and scared, which is odd. he’s “snaking” across the pen the entire time. could his hearing be a bit off? he looks very scared at times but he is also eating. I’m not sure.

that being said he’s just scratched me!! he’s still very feisty which is a good sign, he hasnt taken lunas idea of sitting nicely for meds.

Awh poor baby!

I probably wouldn't pick him up, or move him whilst he's like this, can be scary and disorienting for them. I'd probably keep him calm and in his environment :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Awh poor baby!

I probably wouldn't pick him up, or move him whilst he's like this, can be scary and disorienting for them. I'd probably keep him calm and in his environment :)

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree with Gracie, ear infections can make the Bunny feel a bit dizzy and this can be exacerbated by being picked up. He probably feels as though he's on a boat on choppy seas . Although Rabbits cannot vomit it is possible that any condition that causes disturbance to their balance may make them feel nauseous. I hope that his meds will soon have him feeling a lot better xx

Fresh grass and fresh air (and Vitamin d) often make a bun feel much better :)

Yes I think you may be right about the hearing - but that's incredibly difficult to establish in rabbits.

I wasn't sure, but I'll try and keep handling to a minimum. I just thought some outside time might do him a bit of good, and to have some fresh grass and some space to stretch his legs. unfortunately without carrying him, there isn't a way to get him there as they won't walk though the house :lol: shoes, people and other places to chew are far more interesting.

unfortunately I can't not handle him for meds either, he doesn't want to sit and take them nicely. so its a bit of a struggle with being wrapped in a towel.

he's bounced back to his normal self today, running to greet me at the door and jumping into the hay box when I try to refill their hay. its nice to see him being himself again.

I wasn't sure, but I'll try and keep handling to a minimum. I just thought some outside time might do him a bit of good, and to have some fresh grass and some space to stretch his legs. unfortunately without carrying him, there isn't a way to get him there as they won't walk though the house :lol: shoes, people and other places to chew are far more interesting.

unfortunately I can't not handle him for meds either, he doesn't want to sit and take them nicely. so its a bit of a struggle with being wrapped in a towel.

he's bounced back to his normal self today, running to greet me at the door and jumping into the hay box when I try to refill their hay. its nice to see him being himself again.

That sounds to be very encouraging, I hope he'll soon be 100% well again x

Back