• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please *urgent*

Auzelia

Young Bun
Hi everyone.

We have since yesterday made Dusty an outdoor rabbit, but since he has been out there he has not drank any water, eaten any food, pooped or peed. He has eaten some hay. I saw him eat a couple of bits.

He was eating and drinking etc all fine until he went outside. Could he just be in a cream puff?

Any rabbit who doesnt eat or drink must be in pain or distress of some kind,imo.
Please take him back indoors and check him out.xx

he has never been out no, he has been put out as we thought he would be happier outside

We had decided last winter to move him out anyway and we where waiting for the nicer weather as he didnt have a winter coat or anything.

He doesnt have a companion as the lady we got him from had said that he didnt get on well with the other male rabbit that she had and that was why she was looking for a new home for him.

He walks up and down and is still social coming up for claps. He just isn't eating.

If he's not eating or pooping at all you need to take him to the vets or it could be fatal if you can't get him eating again.

How long has been out for?

I had a rabbit who hated being outside over night. She was fine outside all day up until 2am when she'll actually let herself be caught. If she stayed outside all night even in a secure hutch and run with her mate, she'd stop eating and sit in the corner which was very unlike her. So my plans for keeping her outside every summer failed completely as no matter what I did, she became depressed and stopped eating by morning. Bringing her inside and offering her yummy food and mashed pellets helped bring her round again.

just since yesterday afternoon.

Im going to pop into the vets with him tomorrow and see if there is anything underlying.

Thanks guys

well thats him back inside now. Will see how is during the night. Going to sleep in the living room with him ......

He is jumping around in his crate like a wee loon ball lol. Going to let him settle then give him his hay.

well thats him back inside now. Will see how is during the night. Going to sleep in the living room with him ......

He is jumping around in his crate like a wee loon ball lol. Going to let him settle then give him his hay.

He sounds like he was incredibly stressed.Hope he eats/drinks/wees/poops.
xxx

I would make sure he's eating something in the next hour, once he's calmed down, and get him to a vet tonight if he doesn't. Hope he'll be OK xx

I would make sure he's eating something in the next hour, once he's calmed down, and get him to a vet tonight if he doesn't. Hope he'll be OK xx

This i'm afraid. Not having eaten/drunk/pooped since yesterday afternoon is extremely serious and well over 24 hours. Even 12 hours puts rabbits at risk of hepatic lipidosis and organ failure. I suspect he is in GI stasis and dehydrated. He needs emergency vet attention tonight for pain relief, fluids and checking for any obstruction of the bowel/stomach IMO. I hope he will be ok. I would be very wary about leaving him until morning in his current state. Hope he feels better soon x

black poos indicate a slow gut- they should be golden brown and crumbly. Aside from the stress of going outside has he been allowed a lot more access to fresh grass than usual? that could very well have given him a stomach upset. As others have said stomach upset is very serious in rabbits and he may need some gut stimulant and pain relief.

Is he neutered? if not that will be why he wasn't getting on with the other rabbit. If you want him outside he will get lonely so would be best being neutered and bonded with another neutered rabbit. I think so long as they have space then next thing a rabbit wants is company.

I think it was probably a big shock to him to go out like that. I can't see why you couldn't make him an outside bun, however if he's a lone bun he may not be happier outside as he would likely get less contact with you. If you want to move him outside it'll need to be done gradually and he'll need things that are familar to him outside with him so he doesn't feel like everything has changed. It may be better to neuter if that isn't done and bond him with another rabbit first. That way he will have a friend with him.
Hope the little chap is ok.

well dusty is a bit better, he has eaten some pellets and hay. drank water too.

Passed a little bit of urine and what looks like about 20 - 30 poops.

Less than normal but im happy :love:

Back