• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please - dental?

A little thank-you. She seemed a bit happier to have a bit of an explore. We managed to get her meds and a small amount of rabbit recovery in her last night and this morning, but not without a lot of struggle which is clearly distressing for her. She's nibbled a small amount of hay and passed some poo,albeit small in size and quantity. Really need to her to start eating properly as I'm worried about stasis and her teeth again. Mr Magoo is a bit off aswell and didn't want pellets this morning (most unlike him!).[emoji20]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I expect that Mr M is a bit stressed by it all too. The fact that Daisy has some output and she is now nibbling food for herself is very encouraging. Hopefully she will chill out a bit more throughout the day and they will both get back to their familiar routine. That will make them both feel a lot more secure and hopefully their eating will return to normal too.

A little thank-you. She seemed a bit happier to have a bit of an explore. We managed to get her meds and a small amount of rabbit recovery in her last night and this morning, but not without a lot of struggle which is clearly distressing for her. She's nibbled a small amount of hay and passed some poo,albeit small in size and quantity. Really need to her to start eating properly as I'm worried about stasis and her teeth again. Mr Magoo is a bit off aswell and didn't want pellets this morning (most unlike him!).[emoji20]

I find stress affects some rabbits completely. Others aren't so bothered by it, but if they are, it can unsettle them.

I hope she begins to eat more on her own and everything begins to settle down today xx

7dbc9a970b34c747a8cf7ef1fc19c303.jpg

We have some Daisy poos! (Apologies to anyone who is eating their lunch![emoji4] ) my husband managed to pop in and check on them. Pellets have gone, so assume Magoo had them. Daisy was walking around which is an improvement of her hiding behind the futon. Although not ideal poo but hopefully means she's been munching on hay.
Thanks for all your support. X

7dbc9a970b34c747a8cf7ef1fc19c303.jpg

We have some Daisy poos! (Apologies to anyone who is eating their lunch![emoji4] ) my husband managed to pop in and check on them. Pellets have gone, so assume Magoo had them. Daisy was walking around which is an improvement of her hiding behind the futon. Although not ideal poo but hopefully means she's been munching on hay.
Thanks for all your support. X

Hey, looking good :D

Think I spoke too soon. Daisy is still struggling to eat she does seem interested in eating however when she tries to eat hay she's just snapping it in half, making me think she's in alot of pain. She has eaten a small amount of coriander, kale, plantain and dandelion leaf. We managed to get her metacam in her earlier, we tried numerous attempts with rabbit recovery but whatever way we tried to hold her she was wriggling and fighting against us (she is not used to being handled at all, as she gets so stressed ) Just feel so useless and worried about her recovery. Concerned now about stasis. Mr M still isn't his normal self either.
I feel another vet trip tomorrow coming on, but know that'll only stress them more.
Any suggestions of a painkiller I can ask the vet about?

Think I spoke too soon. Daisy is still struggling to eat she does seem interested in eating however when she tries to eat hay she's just snapping it in half, making me think she's in alot of pain. She has eaten a small amount of coriander, kale, plantain and dandelion leaf. We managed to get her metacam in her earlier, we tried numerous attempts with rabbit recovery but whatever way we tried to hold her she was wriggling and fighting against us (she is not used to being handled at all, as she gets so stressed ) Just feel so useless and worried about her recovery. Concerned now about stasis. Mr M still isn't his normal self either.
I feel another vet trip tomorrow coming on, but know that'll only stress them more.
Any suggestions of a painkiller I can ask the vet about?

Oh dear, I'm really sorry to read this :(

Another painkiller would be Tramadol, but to be honest, the teeth should have been sorted out, and if there's ongoing issues, they need to be addressed. She had a skull X-ray, yes? Did it show anything untoward?

I think the vet should have another look inside the mouth. Sometimes those implements they use to do dentals can nick the skin/cheek and cause an ulcer. Or maybe there was an ulcer developing as the teeth were a bit worse than the vet thought? Antibiotics would be needed in that case.

At any event it doesn't sound quite right and I hope the vet can advise tomorrow. I'm thinking of you xx

Oh dear, I'm really sorry to read this :(

Another painkiller would be Tramadol, but to be honest, the teeth should have been sorted out, and if there's ongoing issues, they need to be addressed. She had a skull X-ray, yes? Did it show anything untoward?

I think the vet should have another look inside the mouth. Sometimes those implements they use to do dentals can nick the skin/cheek and cause an ulcer. Or maybe there was an ulcer developing as the teeth were a bit worse than the vet thought? Antibiotics would be needed in that case.

At any event it doesn't sound quite right and I hope the vet can advise tomorrow. I'm thinking of you xx
Thanks for your advice.
Yes, she has a skull xray. The vet told my husband that there was no sign of an ulcer or a abscess. However he wanted to keep a close eye on her teeth as they can also go downwards into the gum and cause problems with the jaw.
We've noticed that since the dental she seems to open her mouth slightly when she eats...which is a little strange.
I'm not familiar with average recovery times for a dental but would have thought she'd be better than this by now.[emoji22]

Thanks for your advice.
Yes, she has a skull xray. The vet told my husband that there was no sign of an ulcer or a abscess. However he wanted to keep a close eye on her teeth as they can also go downwards into the gum and cause problems with the jaw.
We've noticed that since the dental she seems to open her mouth slightly when she eats...which is a little strange.
I'm not familiar with average recovery times for a dental but would have thought she'd be better than this by now.[emoji22]

Sometimes it's the anaesthetic they recover from. When any of my rabbits have a conscious dental because they haven't been eating, they immediately begin eating as soon as they get home. There's no down time as with a GA.

I'm sure you'll tell the vet what you've mentioned about eating with her mouth open. Ask exactly what they did to the teeth. Did they grind the crowns down, or simply remove offending spurs?

It could be she's getting used to the 'new' feel of her teeth, but I like you, would be a little concerned.

Update! Daisy was admitted (with Magoo for company ) this morning 😩We had a very tough night with her and she really wasn't eating anything and we were really struggling to syringe feed her as the more we tried the more stressed she got. So my husband took them down this morning. The vet said when they did the op he had to cut into the gum slightly as one of the spurs was pushing into her gum, so probably explains why she's in such pain. He was happy with the poos she produced but recommended that she stays so they can administer her rabbit recovery regularly and monitor her. I know this is probably for the best as they can provide her with the care she needs as we have work but feel bad that we can't do it ourselves. I guess given she is SO nervous (the rescue centre where she came from thought she'd been abused) combined with the pain and trauma of vets etc makes it very difficult to handle her.
I'm glad mr m is there to keep her company, but hope a stay at the vets doesn't stress him too much.
Positive vibes needed please for my little ones😢

Update! Daisy was admitted (with Magoo for company ) this morning ��We had a very tough night with her and she really wasn't eating anything and we were really struggling to syringe feed her as the more we tried the more stressed she got. So my husband took them down this morning. The vet said when they did the op he had to cut into the gum slightly as one of the spurs was pushing into her gum, so probably explains why she's in such pain. He was happy with the poos she produced but recommended that she stays so they can administer her rabbit recovery regularly and monitor her. I know this is probably for the best as they can provide her with the care she needs as we have work but feel bad that we can't do it ourselves. I guess given she is SO nervous (the rescue centre where she came from thought she'd been abused) combined with the pain and trauma of vets etc makes it very difficult to handle her.
I'm glad mr m is there to keep her company, but hope a stay at the vets doesn't stress him too much.
Positive vibes needed please for my little ones��

I think having her admitted was a wise decision and it is not a reflection at all on your ability to care for her. Hopefully she'll soon be feeling a lot better and able to return home with Mr M XX

They are my world, I do everything I can for them and as soon as she starting refusing her pellets and not eating caetotrophs I knew something was up. I'm going to see if I can visit later and take down their water bowls, favourite herbs /veg and toys a selection of toys so they feel a little at home and carpet mats from their room - not sure how the vets will take it, hopefully they won't mind!

So sorry that Daisy is still having problems eating. Hopefully now that the vet has sorted her teeth out, everything will heal quickly and she can get back to normal. The first time Toffee had a dental, I didn't realise how bad things had got for him. The vet said that he he had a really sore ulcer, that looked like it had been there for some time. I felt just awful, and felt like a failure, for not knowing, but bunnies are notorious for covering up pain.
I'm sure the vets won't mind at all if you take in a few "home comforts", they sound pretty good.
At least you know she is being well cared for, and has her mate with her. Sending lots of healing vibes for Daisy xxxx

Update! Daisy was admitted (with Magoo for company ) this morning 😩We had a very tough night with her and she really wasn't eating anything and we were really struggling to syringe feed her as the more we tried the more stressed she got. So my husband took them down this morning. The vet said when they did the op he had to cut into the gum slightly as one of the spurs was pushing into her gum, so probably explains why she's in such pain. He was happy with the poos she produced but recommended that she stays so they can administer her rabbit recovery regularly and monitor her. I know this is probably for the best as they can provide her with the care she needs as we have work but feel bad that we can't do it ourselves. I guess given she is SO nervous (the rescue centre where she came from thought she'd been abused) combined with the pain and trauma of vets etc makes it very difficult to handle her.
Positive vibes needed please for my little ones😢

Ah that makes a lot of sense now the vet has explained what he had to do. Following a dental, if they don't eat it's often down to some nick or ulcer in the mouth that prevents them

But why didn't the vet tell you that to begin with???

Vibes for her recovery and hope Daisy and Mr M have a good stay at the vet x

So it's been a bit of a weekend, we have been syringe feeding Daisy all weekend as other than the odd piece of plantain or hay she has not been eating. She had a further injection of painkiller and gut stimulant on Saturday and has been having metacam daily. She managed a small amount of hay, readigrass and pellets this evening and for the first time since before her dental has produced ok size poop. I'm worried there is something else going on as I would've thought nearly a week on she'd have made more progress??
It has all affected Magoo aswell he's no way eating as much hay as he should and normally does. Not as though there's no choice, they have approx 6 types to choose from.
Just don't know what else I can do to help them??! ??[emoji53]

So it's been a bit of a weekend, we have been syringe feeding Daisy all weekend as other than the odd piece of plantain or hay she has not been eating. She had a further injection of painkiller and gut stimulant on Saturday and has been having metacam daily. She managed a small amount of hay, readigrass and pellets this evening and for the first time since before her dental has produced ok size poop. I'm worried there is something else going on as I would've thought nearly a week on she'd have made more progress??
It has all affected Magoo aswell he's no way eating as much hay as he should and normally does. Not as though there's no choice, they have approx 6 types to choose from.
Just don't know what else I can do to help them??! ??[emoji53]

Are you sure that where the gum was cut there isn't an ulcer or something? If it were sore, or had become infected, that would prevent her from wanting to eat ..

The vet checked her mouth when we went back last week and said that he couldn't see anything...he asked us to keep in touch over the weekend which we have done. He wants to see her again tomorrow. So will ask about possibility of an ulcer. I know she had to have the dental done but strange to think she was eating so much better before it. I just feel for her and Mr Magoo so much and would do anything to get them on top form again! Although funnily enough Daisy did do a couple of happy flops tonight!

The plot thickens...so this morning we found very dark urine /redish in colour. The vet is saying this might be to do with her gut and when it slowed down and her tummy is now hurting and this is why she's not wanting to eat or take the rabbit recovery. I thought the red urine might be the dandilion leaves as she doesn't really have them normally. Vet is going to give her a full examination and test the urine.
I really want to trust the vet, he did get Magoo through his broken jaw but as the progress with Daisy is so slow I'm starting to think he's stabbing in the dark!

The plot thickens...so this morning we found very dark urine /redish in colour. The vet is saying this might be to do with her gut and when it slowed down and her tummy is now hurting and this is why she's not wanting to eat or take the rabbit recovery. I thought the red urine might be the dandilion leaves as she doesn't really have them normally. Vet is going to give her a full examination and test the urine.
I really want to trust the vet, he did get Magoo through his broken jaw but as the progress with Daisy is so slow I'm starting to think he's stabbing in the dark!

Red urine certainly does sound like dandelions leaves. However, good to check the urine. I hope he will be able to express the bladder?

I hope he can palpate the abdomen and find out if there's any gut issues. It would be worth sounding out a vet who would be a good second opinion at this stage, even if you don't use them, as it sounds like Daisy has no time to lose.

Thinking of you today and good luck x

Back