• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed for brothers who are fighting following a vet stay (together)

NikC

New Kit
Hello :wave:, I'm new here and I hope you don't mind if I jump straight in with a request for advice as I'm going out of my mind with worry:(.

I am a relatively new bunny owner, I purchased two male mini rex's (brothers) in April last year, Cuddles and Snuggles. They live outdoors in a large double-decker hutch with a run attached via a runaround burrow tube and come into the house 4 or 5 times a week for playtime. They have always got along well and were both neutered at 16 weeks old, without a hitch. They are now 12 months old and my problems began last week when Cuddles seemed a bit 'off color' and I noticed later that day that he was off his food. I called the vet immediately and they suggested I bring him in, which I did with Snuggles for company. He was diagnosed with gut stasis and spent the next 3 nights in the vet hospital. I insisted that they stay together, but at times they were separated into adjoining kennels so that they could monitor Cuddles' progress more easily (i.e. food eaten and poos produced). He was given an GA on the 3rd day and his teeth rasped, although they admitted that there were only a few tiny sharp hooks, which in the vets words "would not have bothered most rabbits". Sure enough after the dental treatment Cuddles started eating again and they came home the next morning. When they came home we let them loose in our downstairs (open plan) as usual and all seemed well for the first half an hour. They then started chasing each other rapidly in circles which quickly escalated into a full on fight with fur flying everywhere. We separated them for a while to calm down and tried again several times... I called the vets for advice and was told to put them in a small area where they could see and smell each other to help them re-bond. Since then we have had them in our downstairs loo, with one in a dog cage and the other loose, alternating them a few times a day. We also took them for a drive in the same carrier as I was told that this helps the bonding process. Whenever they are separated by the bars they both seem quite happy and even lie down snuggled up on either side of the bars. But whenever I try them together Cuddles seems terrified of his brother :cry: and Snuggles (who I think has always been the dominant one) tries to chase and/or climb on top of him (I don't think he is mounting?). Cuddles is clearly uncomfortable and extremely submissive, pressing himself to the ground and sometimes squeaking and even trembling when Snuggles comes close. I should add that Cuddles is still not fully recovered, he is eating plenty of hay and greens but not touching his pellets. I am still giving him meds twice daily as per the vets advise. I don't want to push the re-bonding too far and stress him any more than necessary.

I apologise that this is turning into an essay... What I would love to know is whether I am doing the right thing? Has anyone experienced a similar situation, did it resolve itself? Or am I going to have to consider other options? I am feeling so emotional about the whole thing having come close to loosing Cuddles and now worrying about them no longer being able to live together. Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Oh dear! I would wait until Cuddles has finished his medicine as it might be making him smell differently, then put them together in a neutral area to hopefully rebond them. Meanwhile I would keep them separated and give them time to forget their fall-out.

I agree with tonibun. Keep them apart so that they can forget about each other. I was advised to do this for a few weeks (two brothers fighting just after being neutered). I reintroduced them on totally neutral territory (my bedroom, they lived outside) and also introduced two sisters at the same time. They have all been together happily ever since.

Hope your boys get back together ok once Cuddles has recovered and they have had a chance to for get their differences.

Thank you so much for your advice. This evening Cuddles has been much brighter and even did a few binkys when he came into the lounge for his medicine and he has eaten some of his pellets, plenty of hay and a few herbs. They are currently both in the downstairs loo which is neutral territory for them both. Snuggles is in the dog cage and Cuddles is lying next to him on the other side of the mesh, both seem relaxed. Do you think I should separate them at this point? Perhaps put Snuggles outside in the hutch/run and keep Cuddles in the loo?

Back