• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ADVICE NEEDED 9 Week Old Baby Rabbit with Myxi - She has been to vets

Thanks to Everyone again for your kind advice and sharing your stories. Thanks Parsnip bun for taking a look at photos for me. I have been back to the vet this morning and he agrees that she has not deteriorated and that her genitals have not swollen still. She is also still eating and drinking on her own. So has given me some more of the meloxicam andtold me to continue to use the eye drops. However he has not given me any baytril and when I mentioned this he just said it does the same thing as the meloxicam after research I do not believe this is the case the meloxicam is metacam which is basically an anti inflamitary. So Im now wondering if my vet is not very bunny savvy and concerned without antibiotics she will not get any better and if I should now see another vet.

I'm so sorry to hear about your bunny. :( I don't have any experience so I can't comment on the meds & whether they're appropriate.

I'm in Essex but near Lakeside, Thurrock so I can't recommend any vets that close to you - it might be worth starting a new thread called "Rabbit savvy vet needed in Southend" as some people from the are might see it.

It might be a little far, especially for a poorly rabbit, but William Lewis at Wylie Vets in Upminster is a very good exotics vet. South Beech in Wickford is perhaps a little closer for you though & also has a couple of exotics vets.

ETA: Lucy beat me to it!

Thanks to Everyone again for your kind advice and sharing your stories. Thanks Parsnip bun for taking a look at photos for me. I have been back to the vet this morning and he agrees that she has not deteriorated and that her genitals have not swollen still. She is also still eating and drinking on her own. So has given me some more of the meloxicam andtold me to continue to use the eye drops. However he has not given me any baytril and when I mentioned this he just said it does the same thing as the meloxicam after research I do not believe this is the case the meloxicam is metacam which is basically an anti inflamitary. So Im now wondering if my vet is not very bunny savvy and concerned without antibiotics she will not get any better and if I should now see another vet.

They are indeed VERY different things - meloxicam is a non steroidal anti inflammatory, which will help with swellings and pain, baytril is an anti-biotic that would help stave off secondary infections (though will not do anything against the actual myxo as it is a virus).

I would strongly suggest a different vet. This will help with confirming diagnosis as well as treatments.

What dosage meloxicam have you got (and how much does bun weigh?).

So sorry to hear about your bunny :( I agree with the others the best rabbit vet in the Essex area is William Lewis at Wylies Vets they have 2 branches, one at Upminster and one in Hornchurch. I think he spends 4 days at Hornchurch, but has also trained up another vet at Upminster!

It is a way to come but William Lewis at Wylie vets is upmister is excellent, definitely worth a second opinion I'd say. He is my vet and I'd trust him 100%

I don't think anyone on here has used South Beech at Wickford since they had a complete change of vets. They might be worth a go if they are a more reasonable distance for you though.

They are indeed VERY different things - meloxicam is a non steroidal anti inflammatory, which will help with swellings and pain, baytril is an anti-biotic that would help stave off secondary infections (though will not do anything against the actual myxo as it is a virus).

I would strongly suggest a different vet. This will help with confirming diagnosis as well as treatments.

What dosage meloxicam have you got (and how much does bun weigh?).

Meloxicam is 0.05
The vet has not weighed her at all and I could only guess at it. I would say she is prob about 3-4 pounds. She is a french lop and 9 weeks old. I am going to try a different vet as I am not feeling very confident with this one. Unfortunately hornchurch and upminster are about an hours drive from me. So feel its too far to take her especially as hubby is at work all this week and he is the one who drives so I would have to do it on train and just think the journey even in a car would be stressful for her for that amount of time. I will keep you all posted and thank you all once again for your messages of support and your concern. x x

Meloxicam is 0.05
The vet has not weighed her at all and I could only guess at it. I would say she is prob about 3-4 pounds. She is a french lop and 9 weeks old. I am going to try a different vet as I am not feeling very confident with this one. Unfortunately hornchurch and upminster are about an hours drive from me. So feel its too far to take her especially as hubby is at work all this week and he is the one who drives so I would have to do it on train and just think the journey even in a car would be stressful for her for that amount of time. I will keep you all posted and thank you all once again for your messages of support and your concern. x x

He didn't weigh her before working out the dose of the medication? :shock: I'd definitely try and get her to a different vet.

I have no experience of myxi but I wish you and your bunny all the best and have my fingers crossed for her x

He didn't weigh her before working out the dose of the medication? :shock: I'd definitely try and get her to a different vet.

I have no experience of myxi but I wish you and your bunny all the best and have my fingers crossed for her x

My thoughts exactly! You cant work out the dosage for medication without knowing the weight of the animal!

Whereabouts are you?? Perhaps others in your area can recommend someone.....Really praying for this baby.xx

Have you informed the breeder?? Any new on the babies and mum??

I hope bunny is doing ok.

Is it possible that the vet took her out the back to weigh her? Medicine dosages vary by weight and even vets that aren't very rabbit savvy should be aware of that so it might be worth double checking with them first and, if in doubt, look into another vet in the area.

I agree that the travel to Wylie might be too far under the circumstances; I don't know if William would be willing to speak to your vet over the phone and give some advice though - it would be worth enquiring.

Back