• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice for pre-neutered brothers, new rabbit parent!

Hello, I have 2 mixed lion head brothers who have been cleared from a reputable vet for spaying (they are now 5 months old) but who cannot get them in until June 4. They have been great together, grooming, eating, sleeping, all done together. Well, the last month has seen more humping, lots of spraying and even urine outside the box for one. Black brother is the aggressor. We found out out from a groomer yesterday that Grey brother has small bite marks from Black’s humping. Yesterday the jumping seemed more aggressive and Blavk bit Grey’s leg as he tried to hop away. There has been no fighting behavior seen. I decided to separate them so they are now in 2 pens next to each other with one open view slat 2x3. There’s cardboard along other slats to contain spray. They were angry when so did this as it’s the first time I witnessed the foot stomping. Black was very annoyed looking to get out, Grey was more relaxed (also the less shy one and more adventurous of the two). So is this something I should do until they are neutered? Should I let them together for “supervised” stretches at a time to maintain bond? Should I have more clear pen gate areas so they can see more of each other? Also, should I try to get them neutered sooner from what may be a less rabbit savvy vet? The current vet only does small animals and is accredited for rabbits. Any and all advice appreciated. (While I’m a new rabbit parent, I did do quite a bit of research and am active on a couple fb groups). Thank you!

You are lucky the boys have made it to 5 months without fighting. If you keep them together now, the risk of them fighting will be great. Are you on UK Rabbits as there are more people on there that have gone through this? I hope everything works out for you and the boys.

I agree with tonibun, it's surprising that they haven't had a serious fight.

It's certainly a pity that the vet cannot neuter them before June 4th. I would not want to arrange for their neuter at a practice where the vets were not experienced in rabbit neuters, but I would try to find out if you have another rabbit savvy vet nearby. Have a look at this list https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/ Also if you are willing to disclose your approximate location, forum members might be able to recommend a vet.

In the meantime, I would definitely keep them completely separate and make sure that they can't nip each other through the bars. Plus if they are unsettled being next to each other without being able to be together, I would consider separating the pens so that they can't see or smell each other.

Following their neuter I would wait 6 weeks to allow their hormones to subside before attempting to re-bond them. Re-bonding should then take place in a neutral space.

Back