• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting bun from RSCPA and bonding

chareg96

Young Bun
hi :) i have a newly spayed 6 month old bun called phoebe, who we have had for 4 months now. we really want to get her a friend as she is going in a hutch outside and we obviously know bunnies are happier in pairs. we really want to adopt from the rscpa so wondered if anyone has had any experience with them and whether they helped you bond the bunnies?

we aren't ready to get one for a few more weeks as we want phoebe to completely recover from her spay! we also want to get a boy one. :) any advice would be grateful!

We have adopted from the RSPCA before. From what I remember (as it was a few years ago) they allow you to bring in your bun, and put them in a run together. They let us try different buns until our bun made a choice of husbun. They do a homecheck and when you get the all clear you can adopt. They only neuter their buns when they have found a new home (or did back then), so we had to wait a bit to bring the new bunboy home. I will be visiting my local branch soon as we need to find our doe a new husbun so I'll update you on how they help with bonding if anythings changed :)

We have adopted from the RSPCA before. From what I remember (as it was a few years ago) they allow you to bring in your bun, and put them in a run together. They let us try different buns until our bun made a choice of husbun. They do a homecheck and when you get the all clear you can adopt. They only neuter their buns when they have found a new home (or did back then), so we had to wait a bit to bring the new bunboy home. I will be visiting my local branch soon as we need to find our doe a new husbun so I'll update you on how they help with bonding if anythings changed :)

Brilliant thank you! Good luck finding a new husbun! :)

They will make sure you have the required hutch and run space all set up beforehand, it is the first thing they ask when you ask about rehoming, so make sure you have that set up sorted first

Thread about housing...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples

Size Guidelines..

http://www.therabbithouse.com/guide_size.asp

RSPCA Info..

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/rabbits/environment

You will need a set up also for the new bun during bonding if it doesnt work out and for during the bonding process.

Last edited:
Two of my current three rabbits were rehomed from the RSPCA, different branches. I think they all do home checks with a focus on appropriate living set up, discussion on diet, health, holiday cover etc. They are friendly & helpful in my experience. I think the similarity ends there as all RSPCA have their own rules, procedures, bonding theories, husbandry in their care etc. As examples we got Joey from an RSPCA branch nr Accrington. Joey lived with his brother in a cage with no exercise bit I could see. We were allowed to take our existing bunny to do introductions & then we reserved him. When Joey needed a new wife we got Boo from the RSPCA nr Wilmslow where she lived with a lovely fosterer - they liked to do the bonding themselves but (said she) made an exception as we had experience. Good luck with it !

Back