• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A safe way to stop chewing???????

tulips2kissu

Young Bun
I have just been to my local hardware store to buy cable protector to continue rabbit proofing the rest of my house. When I told the owner why i was buying it he put forward the fact that he uses VapourRub as a deterant to stop his dogs chewing the furniture! He did not know whether this was suitable for rabbits or not but I thought it was such a simple idea that it was worth investigating further so I decided to post it up and see what information we could all gather...
Is eucalyptus or peppermint bad for bunnies? If not, do they like it too much?
It works to deter dogs by making their noses tingle before they even get close. Would it do the same for rabbits and if so is it harmless?
Clearly this would not and should not replace cable coverings but might it help stop the chewing of wooden furniture?
Has anyone any background on this?
Comments please....

P.S. Please don't anyone try it out on their bun until we have had some feedback from a vet!! I would hate this topic of discussion (this is all this is at the moment) to get a bunny hurt!!

Haven't heard anything from anyone yet so did a bit of my own research:

Many sites on chew prevention suggest the bitter apple spray that vets supply, or alternatively white vinegar.

Perhaps it's smarter just to stick to these as they are obviously tried and tested.

Not sure if I could manage the constant stink of vinegar in my home though? Would prefer Eucalyptus!! Oh well...

I have heard that vaseline can also be used to stop bunnies chewing, but I'm not sure about that either :? I have heard of the bitter apple spray, but I don't think I would want my house to smell like vinegar constantly either, I hate the stuff!

you can get a bunny chew stop from most pet stores. It doesn't smell as far as I can tell but probably tastes bitter. Seemed to work for me.

Hehe, when my bunnies were going through the phase of mounting each other constantly (two girls), my vet advised me to put a little bit of vapour rub on their backs as the smell deterred them from doing it. I have to admit, it did work - but I don't know about the chewing thing.

you can get a bunny chew stop from most pet stores. It doesn't smell as far as I can tell but probably tastes bitter. Seemed to work for me.

It didn't work for me- Charlie is far too determined :rolleyes:

Crittercord are working on a spray at the moment, the cable protector I bought from them works.

My vet told me to dab a touch of olbas oil of vicks (which is pretty much the same as the rub, I think) around Molly when he gets a bit of a blocked nose in the summer, so I don't think it would really deter them as it was recommended as a treatment, so I would hope they don't hate it too much! :lol:

Try to keep them occupied chewing okay things so they never think to chew the bits they shouldn't ;) Stock up on cardboard boxes.

I dunno whatt he recycle place must think, atm all our boxes are going via the rabbit for a chew before going in the bag :lol:

I got the deterrent spray from the pet and it didn't make any difference to my Charlie. I've had to put plastic corners on all my plasterwork and cable protector around my wires. The wires I couldn't cover, I put an old cushion against them but he ate that too!!! :roll: He loves to chew the toilet/kitchen roll holders although he actually swallows it!! Not good!

Apparently a chewer is a sign of an intelligent rabbit :shock: :lol: Think they got it wrong somewhere!

Back