• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new pet shop in Epping but selling rabbits

How about you put a LARGE sign in your window saying that you are a member of RU:)that should impress rabbit owners everywhere:)

Why is there this assumption that the hutch is for rabbits? The hutch outside at the moment is a guinea pig hutch and measures 3 feet although we only got this particular one for a lady for hedgehogs, we bought two, (she bought one). We would only reccomend it for 1 (not advised) or 2 guinea pigs and not for rabbits. We always ask people what the intend to house in the hutches and advise appropriately.
If anyone out there could see there way clear to asisting me every morning and evening to get the larger hutches in and out, I'll certainly be up for it, we only sell decent hutches which aren't that light and being an unfit fat bloke, it's just not that easy!!

TBH I wouldnt house a guinea pig in a 3FT hutch :) and defo not for two guineas!!

How about you put a LARGE sign in your window saying that you are a member of RU:)that should impress rabbit owners everywhere:)

Also I'm sure that if people saw you advertising the Make Mine Chocolate campaign and/or being a member of the Rabbit Welfare Association people would be impressed at your dedication to responsible ownership of rabbits :wave:

:(To be perfectly honest neither would I but you mustn't forget that a lot of the public are driven by cost alone and may not be able (or willing) to pay for a larger hutch.
We can only strongly advise on the right sizes but in the end it's the customer who decides although if i was informed that they were going to be housing any animal who in my opinion would suffer, I WOULD refuse the sale but having said that, you don't always hear the full story

Cool, just looked on the MMC website. Is there anyone near Ongar on here who I could liase with? I could put some advertising out coming up to easter and possibly use some of the stationary on the site but might need a hand with the computermabob

and being an unfit fat bloke, it's just not that easy!!

bless you for being so honest!

It sounds like you are nice people and are doing a good job. I can understand both sides - although I see why you only have a small hutch outside, you have to appreciate that that will be enough to put some animal lovers off entering your shop and giving you the opportunity to speak to them and show your awareness and understanding of animals' needs.

:(To be perfectly honest neither would I but you mustn't forget that a lot of the public are driven by cost alone and may not be able (or willing) to pay for a larger hutch.
We can only strongly advise on the right sizes but in the end it's the customer who decides although if i was informed that they were going to be housing any animal who in my opinion would suffer, I WOULD refuse the sale but having said that, you don't always hear the full story

I do agree with this - it's all well and good to have strong beliefs about what size housing an animal should have when your income doesn't depend on it. You have to bare in mind that, as stated above, Joe Public is often driven by price alone and will go elsewhere if refused the sale of the smaller, cheaper hutch. I'm sure, whatever his beliefs, bubblespetcare can't afford to be sending customers away, particularly given that he doesn't sell animals, as that would bring in a lot of revenue.

Plus, although bubblespetcare says he would refuse sale if he thought the pet would suffer, I wouldn't blame him if he allowed the sale - it must be hard keeping your head above water if you run your own business in the current climate.

In reply to Bubblepetcare, I commend you for stopping the sale of animals when the shop came under your ownership & any work you do towards animal rescue & charities.

However, I am greatly upset at seeing small rabbit hutches on sale as I see & deal with the results of rabbits being kept in them while working at rabbit rescues, with RSPCA foster rabbits & my previous adopted rabbit. Therefore I don’t agree with your percerpition that I gave 'unjust criticism' & 'uninformed reactionary opinion' by stating the fact that small hutches were on sale outside the shop.

You asked "Why is there the assumption that the hutch is for rabbits". Early last week, the hutch outside your shop had a manufacturers label attached stating 'Rabbit hutch' with a picture of a rabbit on it. The other day the hutch, or one very similar & at the same price, had lost the manufacturers label & was displaying a hand written sign stating the hutch was for guinea pigs not rabbits. Also in the lead up to Easter you had outside 2 or 3 similar sized hutches being marketed for rabbits & being sold with a bag of rabbit food & hay etc.

Last edited:
OMG, popped into the new pet shop in Epping to check it out & found they are selling rabbits which the shop owner happily told me that her husband breeds himself.

Fingers crossed that they have to close the business before Christmas & certainly before Easter.

I avoid going past/near the pet shop in Ongar as they have small hutches for sale outside & now I'll dread going near that end of Epping high street.

so whats this about then if u dont stock rabbits why are ur family members telling people u breed?

either seagreen is lying or u r?

Sam & Nala - The pet shop in Ongar doesn't sell rabbits or any other animal & they must be commended for that but its the pet shop in Epping that breeds & sells rabbits.

Sam & Nala - The pet shop in Ongar doesn't sell rabbits or any other animal & they must be commended for that but its the pet shop in Epping that breeds & sells rabbits.

Im confused too, if this thread is about a different petshop why is this petshop owner offended by it?

The pet shop selling rabbit is in Epping:cry:(i am planning to have a snoop round soon;))
The pet shop in Ongar is the one that has been accused of selling too small hutches BUT the owner bubblespetcare has given a very good reason for why he puts out the smaller hutches for display purposes and that he tries his best to get customer,s to buy the biggest hutch that they can afford:)
I think he should be commended for coming on here and stating his case :)he is also going to get some leaflets from RWA/RWF to display in his shop plus the "make mine choclate" campaign:)

In reply to Bubblepetcare, I commend you for stopping the sale of animals when the shop came under your ownership & any work you do towards animal rescue & charities.

However, I am greatly upset at seeing small rabbit hutches on sale as I see & deal with the results of rabbits being kept in them while working at rabbit rescues, with RSPCA foster rabbits & my previous adopted rabbit. Therefore I don’t agree with your percerpition that I gave 'unjust criticism' & 'uninformed reactionary opinion' by stating the fact that small hutches were on sale outside the shop.

You asked "Why is there the assumption that the hutch is for rabbits". Early last week, the hutch outside your shop had a manufacturers label attached stating 'Rabbit hutch' with a picture of a rabbit on it. The other day the hutch, or one very similar & at the same price, had lost the manufacturers label & was displaying a hand written sign stating the hutch was for guinea pigs not rabbits. Also in the lead up to Easter you had outside 2 or 3 similar sized hutches being marketed for rabbits & being sold with a bag of rabbit food & hay etc.

Was it this Easter just gone? as I honestly cannot remember offering such a deal (that' not to say I didn't) but if I did it definitely was NOT an easter promotion and if it appeared that I was promoting the buying of any animal for Easter, I apologise. One deal I did have going was a hutch, grass house, comfy cave and some toys. If that is wrong again I apologise.
It just so happens that springtime is just a very popular time for people to think about the garden etc. and maybe renewing hutches and Easter is also in spring but there have never and would never be signs such as 'get a bunny for Easter' or 'get a puppy for Christmas'.
I also take issue that they were similar sizes as it was me who had to carry them in every night and I can assure you they were much bigger, as I remember there was a 4' and a 5' hutch out there.

The hutch outside was, I discovered last week, marked as a rabbit hutch (I know I SHOULD have noticed, it was in the brouchure a small animal) but as you know, thanks to this forum, I have ammended this and as previously stated I would never recommend such a home for a rabbit as it is far too small and may I request that instead of walking past a shop like ours and condeming us out of hand on a public forum such as this, you come in and point out these things and work with responsible pet shop owners instead of against us. Good pet shops are a valuable ally to have on these issues and any attempt to alienate them (or us) seems a retrograde step and aligning with big pet supermarkets who sell animals and 'rescue' animals (which are largely thier ex breeding stock) is completely counter productive.
If you are doing work for rescue charities, rspca etc, why not pop in and see us and see if we can help in any way, you are the sort of person we want in our shop and can do promotional work for rescue rabbits as well as the current dogs and cats.

Regards

Alan

I have been reading this, but didn't feel the need to comment (and wasn't sure I wanted to)

I think you are a very nice person who obviously cares a lot about animals. I don't believe you would intentionally sell something to someone if you believed the animal would suffer.

It must be hard taking over a business that has not been thought very highly of, and I wish you all the luck in making it a profitable business

Good pet shops are a valuable ally to have on these issues and any attempt to alienate them (or us) seems a retrograde step and aligning with big pet supermarkets who sell animals and 'rescue' animals (which are largely thier ex breeding stock) is completely counter productive.
If you are doing work for rescue charities, rspca etc, why not pop in and see us and see if we can help in any way, you are the sort of person we want in our shop and can do promotional work for rescue rabbits as well as the current dogs and cats.

Regards

Alan

Well said! :thumb::rabbit2:

I have been reading this, but didn't feel the need to comment (and wasn't sure I wanted to)

I think you are a very nice person who obviously cares a lot about animals. I don't believe you would intentionally sell something to someone if you believed the animal would suffer.

It must be hard taking over a business that has not been thought very highly of, and I wish you all the luck in making it a profitable business

Thank you for that and for all the support we've recieved both on here and in the shop. The more we earn, the more we can do via rescue donations etc. so please everyone out there, if you have a decent, responsibly owned and run independant pet shop, support it!!

Agree completely. You sound like a top guy. It's great to know there are 'pet supplies' shops out there that care about the animals people own, and encourage people to consider rescue animals when looking to 'buy' a pet. Best of luck in your business venture Alan and keep up the good work in your promotion of healthy, loved and happy animals. That's what we all want. :)

Well i went to Ongar today and instead of walking past Alan,s pet shop and judging it without actually having been there:shock::evil:I went in:)and was very impressed with both alan himself :)who was very friendly and helpful:)and with the shop itself :)oohh and his gorgeous Labradoodle doggie:love:
He has a full range of supplies (some i had never hear of:oops:) but my cats love the dry food that i bought for them and hetty loves her catnip mouse:love:so thanks Alan for your help:Dit really was a pleasure to meet you and maybe before people judge others they should do the same as me and go and speak with owner,s:)they may be pleasntly surprised (as i was):)

Back