• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rescue Bunny

HanBun

New Kit
Hi so I'm new to rabbit ownership and have rescued my first bunny from a reputable shelter near me. Unfortunately had to be rehoused as a solo. I brought him home Sunday afternoon, put him straight in his x pen with everything all set up and left him to get settled. He's in my kitchen, not a high traffic area and I live alone no other pets. Only popped in to make cuppas and food and spoke to him so he gets used to the sound of my voice. He hid most of the night which I expected although he did take some kale from me when I offered.

He must been out and about during the night as stuff had been moved around. Was out for a bit this morning, but for the most past has still stayed pretty hidden in his hidey house, and looks quite scared. He's eating his hay, took him a while to eat his greens this morning, ate a bit, left it and then went back to them on and off till they were finished.

So we're about a day and a half together. I work from home, so spent a bit of time on the floor a little bit away from his cage today just to get him used to me being around. And again once I'd finished work and spoke to him whilst playing on my phone.
He's still hiding tonight between his hidey house and enclosed litterbox. I have read that rabbits take a while to trust, which I'm fine with. I'm just wondering how long is too long for him to keep hiding? Is there a point I should be concerned he's not going to settle? My plan for tomorrow is to work from the floor again, and open his pen door, with the kitchen door shut to give him some roaming time if he wants to come out. Is this too soon?

What reason were you given for him having to live alone with no Rabbit companion ?It is very, very unusual for this to be the case. It is often something that Pet Shops will tell people if the Rabbit is unneutered and had previously fought with another unneutered Rabbit he/she was being kept with. Neutering and then going through the correct bonding process is the solution to that problem.

Is he passing poo and wee ?

Does he have a lot of hiding tunnels around in the X pen ?

If the base of the pen is just Lino/ tiles/ vinyl floor he probably won’t like hoping on it. Those types of flooring provide poor traction and many Rabbits feel unsafe moving about on it. Covering the base with rugs/ mats solves that issue.

Do you cook meat ? As he is in the kitchen he will be exposed to the smells of cooking, many Rabbits get very upset at the smell of cooking, especially meat.

He has only been with you fo a couple of days so it will take a lot more time for him to build up his confidence. But do look at the possibility that you have been mis- informed about him having to live alone, IME of 25 years of Rabbit care this is never the case. Some Rabbits actually remain quite wary of humans, but are very happy as long as they have a friend of their own kind.

There is a lot more information about Rabbit care, behaviour and health on the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund’s website, I suggest you bookmark the page :)

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Last edited:
Welcome. As IM stated, monitor he is making wee and poo. Stress from a move can upset digestion, and not pooing can indicate gi stasis which is an emergency in bunnies.
Make any changes to his diet slowly, including brand of pellets. Use pellets as treats.
Introduce new greens slowly.
Give your bunny time to truss you.

Thank you for the replies. I'm a veggie myself so no cooked meats here! I have put a rug down down under his cage so he is off the hard floors. I have 1 hidey house and tunnels. I have another house being delivered. I got some of the pellets the shelter use from them and and have also bought the same brand ones. And also they gave me some of his hay from his bedding there to add to his litter box help him settle. As for veg I've gave him the same as what they've said, but was looking to introduce others.

He's pooped and weed more than I seen yesterday, and have been monitoring his litter box to make sure. Tbf on checking his pen this morning his toys have been chewed and they haven't been up until now, so I guess he is settling in more.

He was in the shelter on his own, as they don't get many rabbits/smaller animals in, and said due to a respiratory illness he had and been treated for. I asked them about a cage mate, but they said me being at home alot he should be OK as I'm pretty much always there to give him company. I know I don't substitute as a rabbit friend though.

Another thing I wanted to ask, he is a lionhead lop cross (that's my guess anyway!) and I know he'll need to be groomed. Do I wait for him to come to me before I try to get to groom him? I don't want to stress him out more in these early days trying to get him to groom him if he doesn't even know who I am yet. Or do you think its better to do it as soon as possible? I'm worried about him eating too much of his fur.

I would hold off trying to groom him for a few days and try to get him used to being near you. Sit on the floor so he can approach you. Food treats on your lap can work . Or putting an empty cereal box on your lap, I have found this gets Bunny curious and they come over to investigate. When you first attempt to touch him do so by stroking his head, moving your hand to his head from his side, not head on. Rabbits have a blind spot right infront of their nose, so putting a hand toward a Rabbit head on can be scary.

I have had numerous Rescue Rabbits who came to me with a history of having RTIs. Once treated and asymptomatic they were all successfully bonded with a Rabbit friend and this never caused any problems as far as the other Rabbit becoming unwell is concerned. Personally I would not totally rule out the possibility of eventually finding a Rabbit friend for him :)

welcome to the wonderful world of bunny ownership - & to the forum too.

I agree with all the advice IM has given you.

I've had bunnies be really confident on arrival to exceptionally wary & everything inbetween. It sounds like you are doing the right stuff. How long it takes to win their trust & affections varies so much between rabbits - its hard to predict. One thing I would consider is that my own rabbits have never really liked the kitchen. They free roam but new additions have lodged there (no cooking) pre-bonding & they've never settled as well. If there is scope for your rabbit to be based in a room you use lots he can learn to trust you just by familiarity, getting used to your ways etc.

When you're sat on the floor try draping some coriander / dandelions over your legs

I was considering basing him in my living room but didn't know if that was going to be too active for him first coming home.

I want to get him free roamed eventually and I generally work from my kitchen at the dining table. My thoughts were I could initially let him free roam around my kitchen where I work during the day and eventually open up the door to my hallway to give him more space as he gets more comfortable. I was then going to open up the space to my living room, but only give him free access when I'm in there too just to be sure he's not getting into anywhere dangerous, even though I have bunny proofed (I've read you can never be 100% though!). Or maybe eventually when I know its all secured and what he's like as a rabbit, I could let him have free access all day to the living room when I'm home.

Some bunnies are quite quiet when they first arrive, others are braver. I'm trying to recall but I think the last time I adopted a bun he barely moved for the first few days! I did what you've done and kept him in a quiet place, checked he was eating, drinking and going to the toilet etc until he was settled. I would say that he came out of his shell a lot more once he was introduced to my female bun and bonded with her. Hopefully your bun will settle soon, I think they just need time to get used to their surroundings, everything will be new to him for quite a while. It'll also take you a while to get to know his personality and likes/dislikes etc.

Hi welcome to the forum :wave: lots of good advice already given, so will just wish you and your bunny well. I'm sure he'll settle in his good time :D

Back