• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Message Great Update P 60

:thumb: brilliant post!!
I love the "problem" buns, out of my 9 I only have 2 which are "normal" buns with no problems/aggression. If I could take more I would. But we have the same problem at PACT, everyone wants the nice buns the area I work I only have angora x's and aggressive rabbits left to rehome :( I already took 1 aggressive (who is now the most friendly bunny!!) and one Angora.

I really hope that these guys find forever homes but if not at least they have a fabby life with love from you guys :D

Also I have decided to stop calling them aggressive rabbits... they are just misunderstood :lol:

:thumb: Excellent post MichG. I understand that most aggression towards humans is either rooted in fear (they've discovered an effective way to keep tormentors at a distance) or protectiveness of eg food/ territory.

I'll be looking out for your posts in the behaviour section now. :)

I told my sister about bouncer and she said he was lovely, She has had buns in the past and is buying her own place at the moment. So when she's in her new home, she will be looking for someone to share it with. I will send her your way. :love:

I would def consider a 'special needs' bun. After fostering cookie and seeing her turn from really aggressive and untouchable to sitting on my knee for cuddles was an amazing experience and when she first came to me I never in a million years thought that she would find a new home.

Great post Jill, it breaks my heart when I see people who know and understand the rescue situation continuing to buy from pet shops or breeders :-(

Also to add this isn't just about overlooked hard-to-homers. Of course no-one would want someone to take on a tricky bun that they couldn't cope with, but there are plenty of young, healthy buns in rescues too :)

yep Alison..so many to choose from
but re the hard to homers..a while ago there was a rescue highlighted as having dental rabbits put to sleep.now we DO NOT put to sleep dental bunnies or rabbits with any treatable problems..
but there was a real back lash of hate towards the lady who ran the rescue..but as she said when I collected one of her dentals to take to a sanctuary.." " I've seen the comments on the forum saying how disgusting I am yet strangely none of those people have contacted me to adopt one of the dental animals "

If no one will take them on what are rescues meant to do..we have a true non destruct policy but that means our rehoming figures have slowed right down as our places fill up with hard to home animals..so ones desperate to come in can't, and we just have to try not to think what happens to them:cry:

Such a sad but so true post Jill.

We also have buns that have sat here for ages, some of them don't even have dental or behaviour problems they just don't want to be cuddled but left to be rabbits. Other just are what people wouldn't call pretty colours although I think they're smashing.

I expect it's the same though up and down the country.

To all those that have taken on a special rabbit from a rescue THANK YOU for giving it a second chance and enabling the rescue to go on and help another. :D

I don't have anything constructive to add to this - it's so heartbreaking. I didn't know about rescues when we got ours, but next time I will be specifically asking for the ones they've had the longest or anticipate being hardest to rehome.

It makes me so sad reading about all the rabbits in rescues needing a home. Those of you that run rescues do such an amazing job.

My boys came from a breeder. I simply didin't know any better and though I wouldn't change them for the world, it does make me feel very guilty.

I certainly will rescue next time, but I don't have the space and can't afford to keep more than two, so it will be some time yet.

All I can do is to keep supporting rescues through fundraisers and raising awareness of campagins like MMC.

I really hope some of these hard to home rabbits find a forever home soon. :(

I totaly agree I thought my two were problem free then found out Pandora is a dental bun, which in turn made her a angry bunny until this was fixed poor thing, following two operations and lots of time and love.

She has started to slowly change, even now after we have moved to the middle of no where she is becoming more loving. Running up to any one that comes up to there play area.

Great post. I completely agree with you. When one of mine died in February leaving my boy alone I decided to offer a home to a pair of buns who had been in rescue a long time. It worked out perfectly and I have a completely loved up trio. They shouldn't have been that hard to home but were just overlooked for so long as one was 7 years old and is not keen on humans and the other is 3 and had a tumour when she was spayed so this seemed to put people off despite her being the friendliest rabbit I have ever met. To me they are perfect.

It annoys me too when people on here go and "rescue" rabbits from a pet shop as it is just lining the pockets of the mass producing "breeders" and the space will just be filled with yet another. Same goes for other species as well. There are plenty in rescue so why buy rodent farm "stock"? We should know better once we have found RU.

Hope you find lovely homes for all of those buns. They all look so lovely

I have started a thread in the Hot Topics section of the welfare board where people can pledge to boycott Pets at Home and pledge to adopt their next piggy or bun from a rescue.

It is pending moderation :D

Honeybunny I can speak for 3 buns who needed a forever home when all rescues within a 50 mile radius were full. 1 came to me although I hadn't kept a bunny since childhood, another 2 went to my neighbour who cares for them magnificently.
I dread to think of how many unwanted bunnies there really are.
There's a lot of "private rehoming" too.

It's very sad that so many buns are overlooked because of dental problems:cry: and even sadder that they are PTS, over half my bunnies have dental problems and I wouldn't want to be without any of them.

I have 4 gummy bunnies as well as 3 others that have had regular conscious dentals, now due to a change in their diet and eating more hay they have less frequent visits to the vets:D

I also have Maverick that had been passed to 3 homes before arriving at Kirkby rescue with a reputation of being an aggressive bun, he's now neutered and happily living with Twinkle, he doesn't mind sitting on my knee and having a fuss, especially if he gets a treat afterwards:love:

I do really admire what you rescue centres do, it must be so hard. Great post Jill, my next bun will 100% be from a rescue, and I'd definitely wouldn't rule out a special needs one.

Bouncer is absolutely gorgeous :love: cannot believe he's not found a home!

And WOW, Trixie and Skittle are identical to my Clio and Jasper!! :shock: I really wish I had room for those 2, I'd love to be able to take them in.

Fantastic post Jill :thumb:

When we adopted Barty he was so scared of people and would sprint for some kind of hiding place as soon as you approched the run :( Now he will bound up to you attempt to clamber onto your lap for food and stick his nose in everything :love: It is so rewarding to see the change.

Heather has to have dentals every 10 weeks.

I honestly would adopt another 'problem bunny' but my parents say no way to anymore rabbits, issues or not :(

I hope these bunnies (and the many more needing homes) find a loving family to go to :love:

It was because there are just so many hard to rehome bunnies in rescues that we started Rainbow Rabbits. The whole idea behind it was to be able to free up rescue spaces for other bunnies by offering sanctuary places to those that were unlikely to go to a "normal" homes in rescues.

When we got our first few rescue bunnies many years go we were shocked at how many bunnies were overlooked in rescue for months and years :(:( so from then on we always choose the hard to rehome bunnies until we were in a position to become more organised and help more special bunnies through our sanctuary.

The majority of rabbits here have come through rescues. And I really hope that at some point int he future we will be able to help more bunnies. I always think that by taking a hard to home bunny its helping 2 bunnies as another 1 can have its rescue space.

I really hope these bunnies find a special forever home very soon with all the love and care they need :love:

Again can only agree with all the comments.
We got Molly from a pet shop,but after finding this forum it opened my eyes to bunnywelfare .We quickly had Molly neutered and got her soul mate Joker from a rescue .He had been abused (cigarette burns) and is still shy,but they are totally loved up and i give them the best life possible.Becuase i get so much back from them.Found Mabel as a stray and will soon be looking for a mate for her.
You rescues are always in my thoughts.
I think this forum is becoming a powerful force.
Love you all and your bunnies:love:

Great news for two of these bunnies
Trixie and Skittle have been offered a home:D:D
They will hopefully be in it within 7 days..I'm over the moon:D

So anyone for a Bouncer or Simby??

Back