• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Message Great Update P 60

Great post totally agree with what you say. I always find it hard to understand why these wonderful bunnies are still in rescue. I've had Max for six months now and only one bit of interest. He's such a character. I ended up adopting Diego as he had been in rescue over a year as he didn't like people or other bunnies and I fell in love with him.

It's a shame rescues couldn't have a policy where people who wanted to take a bunny had to take the one that had been there longest :(

Very good post Jill - hard to home bunnies are how I ended up with Fudge who had been in rescue over a year and no one wanted because of his colour and the fact he bites

I dont have space for any more at the moment but my next buns will be some of the harder to home ones. There are a couple of pairs on the front rehome bit that I keep looking at and wishing I could squeeze in another shed :(

All the bunnies (5), I have had over 12 years have all been rescues :wave:

I took what was given to me. The first 2 bunnies I got where brother and sister and no-one wanted them for 6 months. They were two black bunnies. My last two were rescued by rescue centres from terrible breeding conditions, so always nervous. Sunshine was given up by a family to a rescue as the kid got bored. But again the rescue gave him to me, I never picked him. Sorry for rambling.

Great message and I hope people take it on board. If I could help I would but was made redundant a year ago and only had a bit of work here and there.

I really hope your rescues get a home they deserve. :wave:

Ooohhh, wee Jovie :love:

I've just adopted another bun from my RSPCA. He's actually very friendly, had a lot of interest and was reserved for a long while... but he kept picking up mystery illnesses and it's been found that he has dental issues as well as possibly being a lot older than his previous owners told us. His issues were written on his paperwork and since then no one was interested in taking him on and the family that had reserved him pulled out and picked a healthier, younger bun.

There are also two semi-wildie sisters who I'd bring home in a heartbeat if I have the space. They were born there in 2008 and no-one wants them. :(

I can just imagine myself ending up with a houseful of the RSPCA's 'reject bunnies' :roll::lol:

Excellent Post :thumb:

My first bunny was from a petshop 15 years ago.:(:(
He was an unwanted REW, sadly overlooked for many months.:cry::cry:

Since then I always have had rescue bunnies, irrelevant of looks, age, size etc. The only criteria is that they need a good forever home, and I will hopefully be always be able to offer that.

Last edited:
I was thinking just last night that when I am in a position to have more bunnies I would like to offer a home to some "long stayers" or buns with problems. I often think of Jovie and Plum too :love:

Neither my own buns or any of my fosters have been what you would call "cuddle buns", they all prefer to just be left to be bunnies and communicate on their own terms. But as Fluffers says, little things they do just make it all worthwhile.

Having fostered a bunny who was very scared and aggressive when she arrived, I am not embarassed to say that when she eventually did her first binky I cried! :D

Good luck to all the buns still waiting for forever homes xx

Excellent post!

All mine are rescues and they certainly are so rewarding, seeing them beginning to trust you day by day is the best thing ever:love:
I wish I was able to take on more buns and if I was allowed to I would definetly take home one of the long term rescue buns:love:

I wish the best of luck to all the bunnies that have been in rescues longer than they deserve, I hope they find their forever homes soon because they certainly deserve them. :( xxxxx

Id like to say id form a que if I wasnt at maximum capacity, theres no reason these buns couldnt be friendly they just need more time and understanding..
I wish I had the space for another bun. My ruby used to be a hell bun, well I say used to be.... She hates being picked up and wont tolerate cuddles without trying to bite my face.
we work round these issues although somepeople just are ignorant and dont choose to give these guys a chance. I am behind you and if I get a new job this year ill be coming your way for a bun to work with and join my fuzzy family xxx

No one wanted my Willow :(
She had one litter and then went to a few homes and always returned so I adopted her 17 months ago free of charge.
She was overweight and shy, but now she is adopted mommy to Acorn (as she bosses her about :lol::lol:)

If I was to ever get another rabbit/s, I would definitely adopt!
If I was to win the lottery, that's another story :lol::lol:

Last edited:
I had no idea that Jovie and plum were still looking after all this time :(:(

I have been in love with Jovie since day one, can't believe he hasn't been snapped up :(:(

Excellent post honeybunny.
I'm now too poorly to take on another animal, it strteches me to the limit to have 1 poorly bunny.

I want to say that although not rabbits (cats) every pet in my adult life has been from a rescue and EVERY one had beenso abused as to have psychologocal issues which caused it to be unsuitable for rehoming.

Henry was so traumatised that he couldn't bare to be in the same room as a human unless he could hide somewhere safe out of view. If he couldn't hide successfully he'd cringe in a corner even if I looked at him.

I just loved him where he was, by never frightening him but allowing him to gradually learn that THIS human was a good experience. At 1st this meant some cardboard boxes at the far end of a 22' lounge. I confined myself to the far end & would read a book not even able to look at him let alone approach him. he was perfectly toilettrained from the start. After a couple of weeks I could at least look at him from that distance without too much fear. After 18 months we had established a good sound trusting relationship & he enjoyed being stroked. He'd purred for th 1st time, frightened himself & ran backwards! (I add that I worked long hours & couldn't put in the time for faster results)

He got an abscess when he was about 2. It hurt as I cleaned it out. His head spun round & he lay his teeth on my finger so gently that there wasn't even pressure.:love::love::love:

He knew the sound of my car & was always at the door to meet me, came when he was called, & was trained not to walk on surfaces used for food. He was locally known as my dog-cat!
I cannot describe to joy of seeing this poor mite overcome his terror, learned in a torture chamber made by humans, & lead a happy fulfilled life. The unexpected was that he showered me with affection.
I think that rabbits being prey animals need a basic understanding of what makes them feel safe.

I join my plea with honeybunnies.
If you are a person with patience, love, & prepared to understand, expecting nothing in terms of returned affection, rather just want the joy of restoring happiness to an animal who has been tortured at human hands, please take these animals on, because no one else will. I've experienced more love at greater cost to them, than most people who have "normal" animals. :love::love::love:

a great message.

i have the time and the love to offer a place to 'hard to home' buns but i simply cannot afford any more financially :(

i wish for happy homes for all bunnies in rescues xxx

A great post Jill!!!

I don't know if my Libby (ex-Honeybunny) would be classed as a special needs bunny, but she had a sad life, she doesn't like other bunnies or people, but has truly stolen my heart. She will never be a "cuddly" bunny, but I am so proud of her - this week she let a boy stroke her at the vets and had her injection without batting an eyelid :love::love: Libby has been so rewarding, and she has taught me so much about owning, loving and respecting bunnies. I would definitely consider a special needs bunny in the future, and that would be thanks to adopting Libby :wave:

Libbypot4.jpg

My beautiful girl :love:

Thinking of all the bunnies in rescue at this time xxx

Well said. My two are both from rescues, and I certainly will never be getting another rabbit or any other animal from anywhere other than a rescue in the future :)

I think Thumps has hit the nail on the head - some people just aren't looking at buns for what they can do for the bun, it is all about what the bun can do for them (especially if they have kids too). This leads them to buy a "product" , with (they think) predictable behaviour. It's their mindset, and probably can't be changed in SOME cases.
(found your story very moving Thumps, well done, you should be so proud of yourself)

I think Thumps has hit the nail on the head - some people just aren't looking at buns for what they can do for the bun, it is all about what the bun can do for them (especially if they have kids too). This leads them to buy a "product" , with (they think) predictable behaviour. It's their mindset, and probably can't be changed in SOME cases.
(found your story very moving Thumps, well done, you should be so proud of yourself)

Yes both Judy (Thumps) and yourself have totally nailed it :)

This is so true.
Excellent posts Jill, Thumps and bunsterfield!

:wave: Great post Jill!

I started a thread on the guinea pig forum.co.uk for members to pledge to boycott Pets at Home. As the largest single retailer of rabbits and guinea pigs in the UK, they must also be the single biggest reason why animals end up in rescues.

My bunnies came from a rescue as a bonded pair. Aged at 3-4 and with Norris being exceedingly grumpy they could not be rehomed to a family. However, for me they are super house buns and if they want to do their own thing that is fine by me! I don't demand cuddles!

I often feel tearful that due to Norris's grumpiness he may not have been given a chance in every rescue. He is a wonderful little thing and despite his age binkies every morning to earn his breakfast.

I know that in terms of the national picture it would still be a drop in the ocean, but if every member of this forum pledged to get their next small furry from a rescue then that would be an enormous help to the rescues operating on here and would enable them to help even more bunnies!

I'm off to start a boycott of P@H in the welfare section...!

:thumb: brilliant post!!
I love the "problem" buns, out of my 9 I only have 2 which are "normal" buns with no problems/aggression. If I could take more I would. But we have the same problem at PACT, everyone wants the nice buns the area I work I only have angora x's and aggressive rabbits left to rehome :( I already took 1 aggressive (who is now the most friendly bunny!!) and one Angora.

I really hope that these guys find forever homes but if not at least they have a fabby life with love from you guys :D

Also I have decided to stop calling them aggressive rabbits... they are just misunderstood :lol:

Back