• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

2 boys falling out please help

Hi I have 2 male rabbits both aged around 8 months. Hazel is a mini rex and bigwig is a cross breed and much larger. They have been together since I brought them in april 2010 They live in a 5x2 two storey hutch and have daily access to a 8x3 run They lived very happily together untill about 2 months ago when hazel started chasing bigwig, trying to mount him and pulling out his fur, bigwig occasionally stands up for himself but not often. When this behaviour first started i had them both castrated this was about 2 months ago. THe last few days hazel has been relentlessly chasing bigwig in the hutch and run and appears very aggresive, bigwig just runs away. I have seperated them now into the upstairs and downstairs of the hutch to give bigwig a break and tried them back together earlier under supervision but hazel persists in being naughty !! Does anyone have any suggestions to what I could do ? I really dont want to split them permenantly but am already browsing another hutch as I don't want to risk serious injury to my beloved buns ! Please help

Two boys can sometimes be a bit tricky.

Has there been any changes to the area around them lately? Like, have you or a neighbour got a new rabbit which they may be able to smell?

I think I would set up a pen indoors for them that is totally neutral (ie - doesn't smell of either bunny) and see if they'll calm down and settle again there. Whilst they're in this temporary pen, I'd give the hutch and run a really good clean so that seems neutral to them again (vinegar is good for neutralising bunny odours!). I'd basically use the same methods as if I were bonding a pair of rabbits together for the very first time. If you pop 'bonding advice' or something similar in the search box, that'd give you loads of ideas for getting them loved up again! :)

Hopefully that'd work alright but if not, it might be best to split them up and get them both a lady friend.

Have they both been neutered? I'm sorry if you already said in your post, I've read it, but can't see whether you said or not.

Have they both been neutered? I'm sorry if you already said in your post, I've read it, but can't see whether you said or not.

Both neutered two months ago. :) I had to read it a couple of times too! It's too late at night for me! :lol:

Sorry it is a bit of a ramble ! Both neutered at same time. and nothing has changed apart from spending a bit more time in hutch due to weather at the mo so i will try the neutral terriortry thing and give the hutch a mega clean out and disinfect. Fingers crossed cause its heart breaking to think they might have to split, they were so close :cry:

Good luck with the re-bonding! My two boys have the closest bond out of any of my bunnies so hopefully you can get them back together again.

I wonder if perhaps they started fighting before they were neutered and one had already decided he was the dominant one and they kind of haven't 'forgotten' it. Even though they'll be less hormonal now, they may still be carrying on the squabble from before they were done.

I'm not sure if that makes sense or not! :lol:

Both neutered two months ago. :) I had to read it a couple of times too! It's too late at night for me! :lol:

Thank you :) I was looking and looking and just not seeing but guessed it was there somewhere.

It might be the extra time in the hutch causing it. Is there a particular reason they are in the hutch more? Do they have a run permanently attached to their hutch?

They have just been in more because of the weather, I have to put them out early in the morning before work, cover with tarpaulin and peg down and I have been concerned about them getting cold with the really frosty mornings..... Thats probably silly ? The run is not attached but they do go out most days for about 10 hours, but now I'm scared to leave them out together.
I gave them twenty mins toghether earlier and Hazel seemed less inclined to chase but Bigwig ran away from him anyway then lay very flat and submissive with hazels head on his ... I presume this is a submissive act ? but he was very very stressed and breathing heavily I will persivere but its heartbreaking :cry:

If its not possible to rebond them, would you consider bonding each with their own spayed wife?

I'm thinking it might be worth going back to basics and bonding in a very small neutral territory area.

If you get them back together I wonder if attaching a run to their hutch to ensure they have a lot of space would be worthwhile for them so that they don't get any trapped sensation and space shouldn't be an issue for them.

Thanks for all you answers,I am going to give serious consideration to attaching the run permenantly and maybe getting another hutch attached too. I would love for them to have a wifey each if I cant re bond but I honestly don't think I have the time or money to commit to another 2 buns, but them I think its not to have 2 lonely boys either :? Where can I get info on the correct way to start re bonding ?

Back