• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

15 week old M/F siblings suddenly fallen out

PippyG

New Kit
I have 15 week old Mini Rex siblings, Rupert and Bella, who have always been so sweet and happy with each other... until today!!

Buns were having their usual 2 hour free roam in the garden, when Bella suddenly started mounting Rupert for the first time; they got into a bunny tornado, and ripped chunks of fur out of each other (and my hand!) until I managed to separate them. It was distressing, to say the least.

Rupert was castrated a couple of weeks ago, and Bella is too young to be spayed, but they have never been like this before. Is it hormones, or something else?? I know I've probably been naive allowing them to run around together when she hasn't been spayed, but as a strongly bonded pair of siblings, I've been reluctant to split them up (and I've NEVER seen any sexual behaviour before).

Once they'd calmed down and spent a couple of hours apart, I reintroduced them and they seemed fine - grooming, eating, and sleeping together. They get separated at night into the upstairs and downstairs of their outdoor hutch but I do really want them back together 24/7. Bella had a small puncture wound (I suspect from a nail rather than a tooth), which I bathed with diluted Hibiscrub. By coincidence, I've got to take Rupert to the Vet tomorrow for his post-op check-up and will likely take Bella too, just so they can check there's no serious injuries that I couldn't see.

Anyway, my question is - is it hormones that has caused this? And what can I do to prevent it happening again? I don't have the space/funds for a second hutch, and they constantly escape the puppy pen so I'm not sure what else to do (expensive Omelet run on the way, but 4 week delay due to lack of stock). I want to feel confident leaving them in the garden/run/hutch together in future, but I'm guessing I'll need to wait until after Bella has been spayed? They are otherwise super healthy, inquisitive and gorgeous buns.

Any advice would be welcome - but please go easy on my naivety!

Thanks all,
Pip

I would keep them totally separate until several weeks after the girl has been spayed. They are now adolescent - so it's most likely hormonal. Leaving them together risks a proper fight and the likelihood that they won't be able to be rebonded, so separating now is for the best longterm. There's also a chance of pregnancy - he will still be fertile.

Almost certainly hormonal. Even AFTER castration Rupert will remain fertile for up to 8 weeks post surgery. So he could still impregnate Bella. So for that reason alone it is essential that you keep them apart unless you want Baby Bunnies.

Also, after neutering of either gender there will be hormone surges which occur for 6- 8 weeks. So keeping them together during that time may result in some scuffles at best, a full on fight at worst.

Baby Rabbit bonds are not true bonds. Things often change when puberty arrives. But if you can prevent a real fight it is perfectly possible to rebond the Rabbits 6-8 weeks after neutering.

I am sorry your Bunnies have fallen out, I am afraid this happens sometimes. Have you checked Bella as you could have another boy there?

Back