• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

12 Wk old bunny menu?

Kaz Johnson

Young Bun
Hi, can any recommend the best diet for my 12 wk old bunny. She is currently having some pellets in the morning, supply of hay throughout the day and spring greens, broccoli, kale and tiny bit of carrot in the evening (she shares this veg with my adult bun). Does this sound okay? she is very greedy and is always wanting more but am concerned as she absolutely hoovers the veg up!:lol:

Hi! :wave:

Hay is a BIG must in any bunnies diet. You are lucky as you can start the habit young. Make sure there is always fresh hay available. Try not to feed too many pellets (most people say about an egg cup full per bunny) and a few veg per day.

As a wguide, her poo's should be golden brown, dry and not too small deoending on what breed she is.

Good luck :)

'her poo's should be golden brown, dry and not too small deoending on what breed she is'

OMG Poppy (mini lop) does PLENTY of golden brown ones :lol::lol: Never thought so much could come out of such a small bun! What is strange is, before she came to live with us, Bam Bam our adult buck was only pooping in his tray now he poops everywhere now like a naughty teenager!:roll:

A 12 week old bunny needs more pellets than a fully grown adult, so don't limit his pellets until he's about 6 months (or even later if he's a giant)

Be careful feeding veg at such a young age. He may be fine if he has grown up eating veg in his previous home, but suddenly introducing veg at this age could cause digestive problems. If you're unsure what he was eating before, try introducing veg into his diet very slowly and gradually.

Your bun is still very much of an 'at risk' age, so monitor his diet very carefully until about 5-6 months of age.

A 12 week old bunny needs more pellets than a fully grown adult, so don't limit his pellets until he's about 6 months (or even later if he's a giant)
Be careful feeding veg at such a young age. He may be fine if he has grown up eating veg in his previous home, but suddenly introducing veg at this age could cause digestive problems. If you're unsure what he was eating before, try introducing veg into his diet very slowly and gradually.

Your bun is still very much of an 'at risk' age, so monitor his diet very carefully until about 5-6 months of age.

Thank you for confirming that!! i though that was right but lots of people on another thread thought differently :roll: Unlimited pellets until bunny is approx 6 months old is what we do for foster buns too :) I also dont think he should be having too much veg :? I cuurently have 2 foster babies that are 18wks old and arent eating veg yet as it upset their bellies :) If the poo's etc are ok then im sure bunny will be fine, but i wouldnt introduce too many new veggies at such a young age :) xXx

IMO, unlimited pellets is ok if they are eating enough hay. If it is causing them to not eat hay (or not enough), then I would limit pellets. I would give a young bunny double what you would an adult (so two eggcupfuls a day).

I would personally give more than 2 eggcupfuls. I'm thinking a few handfuls for a medium to large breed...perhaps fed over 2 sittings (i.e. morning and night).

Obviously this is just my opinion, and I don't have a huge amount of experience with baby/young rabbits, but this is what I would do to encourage healthy bone growth and prevent calcium deficiency problems in later life.

well....this is interesting!:shock:

Ive been advised (by P@H Junior & Dwarf Rabbit nuggets - back of packet too!) to give 10 1/2 week old dwarf lops 30g per day....so i ve been splitting their meals into 2 cause they were hungry at night - they were still eating loads of hay through out the day hthough and their poo was fine.

Ive just introduced cabbage (they did have some apple cause vet advised as she wasnt well and honey water which got her eating and drinking again) - they gobble down the cabbage - as yet poo seems fine...they have 2 small leaves today - so 1 each.

Now Ive switched hay from P@H short cut hay to meadow hay...they seem fine with it - perhaps its not as posh - but they still are hungry and I just read this about unlimited pellets and got the bag out and the smaller bun (Indiana) circled my she was so keen! i feel so bad - I dont want ot over feed...but they gulpig it down like they never got any today and they have already had about 40g each today!

welll....I dont know! As long as they eat lots & lots of hay Im happy....but its quite hard to know how much they are eating and how much just jumping about on!

So difficult to know what & whos advice to follow! :?:?

xxxx:love: chelle
Indiana & Arrabella.....:love::love::love:

PS Help our mum to get it right - we dont wanna be fat and dont wanna be a size 0!

Back