• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could Sophie get some vibes? Another dental

Oh bless her, it must feel a bit strange having a missing tooth, and I guess it will feel a bit sore. Is she on any pain meds ? Hopefully it will soon heal over, and she will feel better, and no tooth grinding is good news.

Oh bless her, it must feel a bit strange having a missing tooth, and I guess it will feel a bit sore. Is she on any pain meds ? Hopefully it will soon heal over, and she will feel better, and no tooth grinding is good news.
Yes, I think it must feel strange, too. She's on Metacam and Bupredine, so hopefully that'll help her. She's just started eating, though! She's eaten the syringe feed/fruit puree mix I'd given to her on a dish that she didn't want earlier, and now she's eating some carrot greens! 😍 I'm really relieved, because I'd prefer not to syringe feed her when she has a wound in her mouth.

Yes, I think it must feel strange, too. She's on Metacam and Bupredine, so hopefully that'll help her. She's just started eating, though! She's eaten the syringe feed/fruit puree mix I'd given to her on a dish that she didn't want earlier, and now she's eating some carrot greens! 😍 I'm really relieved, because I'd prefer not to syringe feed her when she has a wound in her mouth.
Oh well done Sophie, good girl. That must be a big relief Reader, hope you can relax a bit now 😊

Sophie tried to eat some hay today, but didn't manage, so her mouth must still be sore. It's good that she's trying, though. She's starting to behave more like her usual happy self, too, which is so, so good to see. She's been so miserable, my poor girl.

That's good news, sounds like it was that tooth that was bothering her, lovely to hear that she is getting back to her happy self now 😊

That's good news, sounds like it was that tooth that was bothering her, lovely to hear that she is getting back to her happy self now 😊
Yes, it's really looking like it was that bad tooth. It's so good to see her happy again. She ate a little bit of hay last night, too, so she's making progress! ❤️

Oh goodness, I've missed a lot! I'm glad the problem may have been found and solved at last!

I would guess, depending on how the hole in her gum was treated (sutures or dissolving stitches? left open?) it's possible some food may be getting trapped in there. Syringing water in to flush might just make her more uncomfy though. (Just like when one loses wisdom teeth.) Not to mention you wouldn't want her aspirating it. But keep a sharp eye out for any sign of infection. I hope she can heal without any further trouble and that she'll be back to eating well and enjoying her hay again soon! 🥰 xxxxx

Its heartening to hear Sophie is doing so much better 😍

I keep meaning to ask if they kept the tooth for you?🤣 When they finally retrieved Boo's manky tooth that had been lost in her socket for years, ..they asked me if I wanted it 🤣 & for some reason I said yes🤣it proper stinks

I somehow missed that Sophie had a tooth removed, so am sending belated positive vibes that she will improve every day.
It is great she began eating greens so soon after the tooth removal.

Oh goodness, I've missed a lot! I'm glad the problem may have been found and solved at last!

I would guess, depending on how the hole in her gum was treated (sutures or dissolving stitches? left open?) it's possible some food may be getting trapped in there. Syringing water in to flush might just make her more uncomfy though. (Just like when one loses wisdom teeth.) Not to mention you wouldn't want her aspirating it. But keep a sharp eye out for any sign of infection. I hope she can heal without any further trouble and that she'll be back to eating well and enjoying her hay again soon! 🥰 xxxxx
Thank you! 🥰

I'm not actually sure what the vet did with the hole... I've thought about food getting trapped in there, though, so I'll watch out for any sudden discomfort. They said it will heal in a few days, but considering Boo got something stuck in her empty tooth socket recently, I'm guessing the hole doesn't close... Sophie really doesn't like having water syringed, so I don't think she'd be happy with that! But, yes, I'll keep an eye on it as much as I can. She has a check up on Thursday, so they'll be able to see if it's healing well then.

Its heartening to hear Sophie is doing so much better 😍

I keep meaning to ask if they kept the tooth for you?🤣 When they finally retrieved Boo's manky tooth that had been lost in her socket for years, ..they asked me if I wanted it 🤣 & for some reason I said yes🤣it proper stinks
They didn't ask if I wanted it. :ROFLMAO: When we were waiting to talk to the vet, though, there was someone there to pick up her bunny whose incisors had been removed, and she got to see and keep her bunny's incisors, so maybe if I'd asked they'd let me have it. Maybe it's for the best that I didn't, though; I'm not sure I want some proper stinky tooth. :ROFLMAO:

I somehow missed that Sophie had a tooth removed, so am sending belated positive vibes that she will improve every day.
It is great she began eating greens so soon after the tooth removal.
Thank you for the vibes!
It is! The vet nurse said that Sophie looked at her with a really funny expression when she was stuffing her face, and that it made her laugh.

ahh you missed out not getting the tooth 🤣 I've often mused about getting mine made in to a pendant 🤣🤣

How is lovely sophie today?

ahh you missed out not getting the tooth 🤣 I've often mused about getting mine made in to a pendant 🤣🤣

😂No teeth here, though I have two bunny bladder stones, one smooth and the other that other is called a jack stone because it is covered in points.

Reader, sending more vibes for lovely Sophie

You'll certainly keep people away from you if you wear a stinky tooth around your neck. :ROFLMAO:

Sophie's doing all right. Thank you for asking. I didn't refill her bowl of softened pellets all afternoon to see if it would encourage her to eat hay, and she did eat a little bit, but I think it's still painful for her, so she's getting her pellets back. She's been eating some greens, too, and even had a bit of grass. 🥰

Reader, sending more vibes for lovely Sophie
Thank you for the vibes for Sophie. 😊

You'll certainly keep people away from you if you wear a stinky tooth around your neck. :ROFLMAO:

Sophie's doing all right. Thank you for asking. I didn't refill her bowl of softened pellets all afternoon to see if it would encourage her to eat hay, and she did eat a little bit, but I think it's still painful for her, so she's getting her pellets back. She's been eating some greens, too, and even had a bit of grass. 🥰

Thank you for the vibes for Sophie. 😊
yeah that would be a massive bonus / incentive 🤣 🤣

I'm glad she is doing ok. I'd do the same re: feeding patterns. Aww thats nice she got some grass 😍

yeah that would be a massive bonus / incentive 🤣 🤣

I'm glad she is doing ok. I'd do the same re: feeding patterns. Aww thats nice she got some grass 😍
I figured you'd see that as a good thing. :ROFLMAO:

She was making that awful tooth grinding sound earlier, so I think her mouth must be sore. She's been tooth grinding way, way less than before, though.

It is good you tested her food preferences. It is still early days, so I am not surprised she still needs softened pellets. Fewer tooth grinding is a positive too.
With the one tooth missing, will the opposing tooth need regular trimming even if she ate lots of hay? Sorry for my ignorance on this topic.
Sending more vibes for Sophie, Casper too.

Back