• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it normal for a rabbit not to eat loads after getting dental done?

Toasty123

Warren Scout
So recently my rabbit wasn't eating, but after the dental, I noticed him eating. He's not eating a lot of pellets like he use too (he used to eat a lot of this before he stopped eating). But is this expected after a dental? He had molar spurs burred down I believe.

It's possibly still painful for him to eat hard foods. Has he got any pain relief?

It's possibly still painful for him to eat hard foods. Has he got any pain relief?

Yes I'm giving him Loxicom, I'm not sure if he got the full dose yesterday, I put it on his nuggets in a separate bowl. He was full from syringe feeding so didn't eat it :? & I had to go out. When I came back home I noticed he had spilled his water bowl over it :roll:. About an hour ago I gave his dose again and made sure he ate it in front of me, I really hope he starts eating more with the pain relief

I would say it's normal while he recovers to not eat as much as before but now long ago did he have the dental?
He had his dental just 2 days ago on Thursday, so your probably right, he was conscious while the vet did it, I wonder if it hurt when she burred down his teeth :(
I'm giving him some critical care too so he's not hungry

Frosty was on metacam and gut meds for 10 days following his last dental. He had small spurs, and ulcers on his tongue not visible when he was conscious, so it’s possible there’s some inflammation /pain there. Also if his guts have gone into a bit of a slow down it can take time for things to get moving again.

Frosty was on metacam and gut meds for 10 days following his last dental. He had small spurs, and ulcers on his tongue not visible when he was conscious, so it’s possible there’s some inflammation /pain there. Also if his guts have gone into a bit of a slow down it can take time for things to get moving again.

Thanks Zoobec, how was the ulcers on his tongue shown? Toasty's poo output is less compared to before, this has been happening for around a month now, that's why the vet gave fibreplex, although I was hoping for some gut mobility drug like zantac, but I guess the vet thinks he's alright, he was treated as an outpatient, so i'm sure they observed how much he was pooping :roll:

Thanks Zoobec, how was the ulcers on his tongue shown? Toasty's poo output is less compared to before, this has been happening for around a month now, that's why the vet gave fibreplex, although I was hoping for some gut mobility drug like zantac, but I guess the vet thinks he's alright, he was treated as an outpatient, so i'm sure they observed how much he was pooping :roll:

The ulcers either side of his tongue were caused by the small spurs. The ulcers were only visible when he was under anaesthetic for the dental. They were not visible when he was conscious when the vet looked at his teeth both before and after his dental. He wasn’t a bad hay eater but not great, and he is also a small Nethie type with a short rounded face so he is predisposed to dental issues. He became quite withdrawn after the dental and would only eat when I was there. That was when I decided to get him a bunny friend, Fern was chosen as a potential good match personality wise and was a great hay eater too. He’s never been happier and had not needed a dental for over a year now.

The ulcers either side of his tongue were caused by the small spurs. The ulcers were only visible when he was under anaesthetic for the dental. They were not visible when he was conscious when the vet looked at his teeth both before and after his dental. He wasn’t a bad hay eater but not great, and he is also a small Nethie type with a short rounded face so he is predisposed to dental issues. He became quite withdrawn after the dental and would only eat when I was there. That was when I decided to get him a bunny friend, Fern was chosen as a potential good match personality wise and was a great hay eater too. He’s never been happier and had not needed a dental for over a year now.
Oh I see, Toasty's dental was performed while he was conscious so he probably has ulcers that he vet didn't see:(. Do they go away by themselves do you know? By the way Frosty is adorable :love:. Toasty is also not a great hay eater. He's always picking out strands he never finishes the whole pile of hay and I end up having to throw it away because it gets dirty. I know it's unfortunate that Nethies are prone to dental issues :(, because of their cute round faces. How old was Frosty when he had his dental and was it only once? Toasty's 6 now and this is the first time he's had a dental , I'm afraid they may grow back because he's not a great hay eater :cry:. He's not eating much hay since the dental as well. Sometimes Toasty's also looking withdrawn :roll:, I want to get him a friend, it's just that this years not been the best for Toasty, lots of vet bills and looking after, so I ear that it might be too much work with another bunny as well. Did you get Fern from a shelter?

Last edited:
Pain meds should help. You may want to get some recovery food to syringe feed Toasty to help his gut movement and maintain his weight.
It has been hard for me to get hay with the strands my bunnies want to finish. Can you try another hay source, brand, or variety.
Also, some bunnies will prefer pellets if given a choice. When your bunny is recovered consider reducing pellets offered to see if he will eat more hay .

Unfortunately as I have explained in previous posts, it is not possible to view 100% of a Rabbit's mouth whilst the Rabbit is awake,as also highlighted by Zoobec's post concerning her Rabbit. Please, please do try to read this info :

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/about-the-rwaf/policy-statements/#conscious

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

What is Toasty's poo like ?

In the images you posted of him his eyes are still very 'runny'. This may indicate that his tooth roots are causing some problems. As I mentioned before, skull radioragphs are needed to diagnose tooth root problems. The condition is more common in brachycephalic (flat faced) breeds like Nethies.

If Toasty is still not eating well, has poor poo output and continuously gunky eyes I would contact the Vet again ASAP for more advice. The Vet may want to change Toasty's medication/dose rates.

Last edited:
Sorry I had forgoten that Toasty's dental was performed while he was conscious. I agree with what Jane has posted and would certainly take him back to the vet as it's possible that there is a problem which cannot be seen without giving him a GA.

Oh I see, Toasty's dental was performed while he was conscious so he probably has ulcers that he vet didn't see:(. Do they go away by themselves do you know? By the way Frosty is adorable :love:. Toasty is also not a great hay eater. He's always picking out strands he never finishes the whole pile of hay and I end up having to throw it away because it gets dirty. I know it's unfortunate that Nethies are prone to dental issues :(, because of their cute round faces. How old was Frosty when he had his dental and was it only once? Toasty's 6 now and this is the first time he's had a dental , I'm afraid they may grow back because he's not a great hay eater :cry:. He's not eating much hay since the dental as well. Sometimes Toasty's also looking withdrawn :roll:, I want to get him a friend, it's just that this years not been the best for Toasty, lots of vet bills and looking after, so I ear that it might be too much work with another bunny as well. Did you get Fern from a shelter?

As Jane has said, there can be lots going on that you can’t see when they are conscious, more spurs, ulcers etc. I assume the ulcers went once the spurs weren’t there because he improved after the 10 days on metacam and he also had antibiotics too. He’s had 2 dentals when he was 2-3 and I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever he would have needed at least the same number or more this last year if he hadn’t had Fern :love: she was from a rescue, Barnsley animal rescue or BARC. Angie is very good at matching personalities of prospective partners. I buy different hay now too, they have Timothy hay and orchard hay from Timothy hay.co.uk and sweet green hay from nature’s own. There is much less waste virtually none with that hay compared to pet shop or baled hay.

I have a camera on the bunny room so I can check demeanour, and that they are both eating. 2 rabbits is less work/Money than one in my case :lol:

I would take Toasty back to the vets ASAP as the others have said

Unfortunately as I have explained in previous posts, it is not possible to view 100% of a Rabbit's mouth whilst the Rabbit is awake,as also highlighted by Zoobec's post concerning her Rabbit. Please, please do try to read this info :

In the images you posted of him his eyes are still very 'runny'. This may indicate that his tooth roots are causing some problems. As I mentioned before, skull radioragphs are needed to diagnose tooth root problems. The condition is more come in brachycephalic (flat faced) breeds like Nethies.

If Toasty is still not eating well, has poor poo output and continuously gunky eyes I would contact the Vet again ASAP for more advice. The Vet may want to change Toasty's medication/dose rates.
Yea I agree with this, did your vet take xrays? I really hope you can get him sorted out.

Also with the loxicom, can you syringe the dose into his mouth? I think it's important he gets the full dose, rather than only some if he didn't eat all his food :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yea I agree with this, did your vet take xrays? I really hope you can get him sorted out.

Also with the loxicom, can you syringe the dose into his mouth? I think it's important he gets the full dose, rather than only some if he didn't eat all his food :)

This is a very good point.

Pain meds should help. You may want to get some recovery food to syringe feed Toasty to help his gut movement and maintain his weight.
It has been hard for me to get hay with the strands my bunnies want to finish. Can you try another hay source, brand, or variety.
Also, some bunnies will prefer pellets if given a choice. When your bunny is recovered consider reducing pellets offered to see if he will eat more hay .

Thanks bunny momma, I've noticed him eat more of his pellets and a bit more of his hay then he initially was after the dental, so I'm less worried now :D. He wasn't a big hay eater to begin with, but I do notice him sniff his hay and then not eat it, he did that before the dental and after, I only see him eat short soft looking pieces. I have switched his hay mixing both kinds of excel hay, he was okay with it until recently so I'm going to switch to another brand to see if he likes that better. Which hay do you get for your bunny?

Thanks bunny momma, I've noticed him eat more of his pellets and a bit more of his hay then he initially was after the dental, so I'm less worried now :D. He wasn't a big hay eater to begin with, but I do notice him sniff his hay and then not eat it, he did that before the dental and after, I only see him eat short soft looking pieces. I have switched his hay mixing both kinds of excel hay, he was okay with it until recently so I'm going to switch to another brand to see if he likes that better. Which hay do you get for your bunny?
Have you tried Timothyhay.co.uk hay? They will send you a sample if you ask, they do some soft hay - my buns all go nuts for their hay [emoji7]

In the images you posted of him his eyes are still very 'runny'. This may indicate that his tooth roots are causing some problems. As I mentioned before, skull radioragphs are needed to diagnose tooth root problems. The condition is more common in brachycephalic (flat faced) breeds like Nethies.

Thanks Jane, only one of his eyes are quite watery sometimes with a bit of white milky fluid in it. I dab a bit of tissue on it and then put the chlorophenical eye drop in it. The vet did mention that his tear duct is very small over the phone. I'm going to try the eye drops for a couple of days and see how that goes. I'm going to make a checkup appointment for him this week. The other eye isn't runny at the moment but it is just a tiny bit watery I noticed with a little crust in the inner corner of his eye. Today his poo was much better and I noticed a little increase in his poo output a he's eating better than before so I'm relieved about that. Although I do see him sniff around his hay and not eat it then eat the short strands. Is there any hay that you would recommend?

As Jane has said, there can be lots going on that you can’t see when they are conscious, more spurs, ulcers etc. I assume the ulcers went once the spurs weren’t there because he improved after the 10 days on metacam and he also had antibiotics too. He’s had 2 dentals when he was 2-3 and I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever he would have needed at least the same number or more this last year if he hadn’t had Fern :love: she was from a rescue, Barnsley animal rescue or BARC. Angie is very good at matching personalities of prospective partners. I buy different hay now too, they have Timothy hay and orchard hay from Timothy hay.co.uk and sweet green hay from nature’s own. There is much less waste virtually none with that hay compared to pet shop or baled hay.

I have a camera on the bunny room so I can check demeanour, and that they are both eating. 2 rabbits is less work/Money than one in my case :lol:

I would take Toasty back to the vets ASAP as the others have said

Thanks for the suggestions Zoobec, Do you mix all the hays together? I'll definitely be trying each one to see which one Toasty likes. I just received my pet camera today and it's so cute it has a little dog head over the camera. I didn't know how ideal this was, totally regret not getting it before!

Back