• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spencer again

Thanks everyone.

I really can’t describe how I’m feeling st the moment. I’m currently taking their run and stuff apart, I can’t bear to look at it through the window, that’s where I used to stand and drink my coffee in the morning whilst watching them play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.

It hurts to look out of the kitchen window and look at all of their stuff in the garden, still in disarray from last night while I was trying to get Spencer to eat. There is still a bowl in the kitchen full of all the different things I tried to get him to eat.

My poor happy bouncy boys, they were so happy and playful less than a week ago.

If, this is RHD2, ho do I go about decontaminating? I'd obviously not think about new rabbits for a while, I mentioned to my wife maybe summer next year, but how to I sort the garden out?

First off, wait until the results of the PM.

The vets appear to have made a grave mistake with their vaccinations whatever.

I have a thread running at the moment with all the documented cases, it gives you comprehensive info about RHD2, and many suspected and confirmed cases, particularly of unvaccinated rabbits.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?471653-RHD2-More-Cases-(-Update-October-2018/page28

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vets/sudden-or-unexpected-death-investigation-1

Lastly, I have had to be out most of the day, but I have your PMs and will reply now.

Sincere condolences to you and your wife.
This is beyond awful for you both :(

I'm so very sorry for your loss, and the added heartbreak you are having to go through. Really hope you get answers soon. Binky free with Frank little Spencer xxxx

The garden is so quiet and empty, I’ve taken the run down, cleaned out the hutch and packed all of the boys stuff into the hutch.

Normally I’d be able to hear the skitter of little claws through the tunnels, or the noise of Frank dragging stuff about while he was re-organising.

I’m sorry

I’m off to bury him now, a nice spot next to frank, we couldn’t keep them apart for long

The plants have been potted and the grave is dug, just waiting for my wife to get home from work.

My wife and I have decided that eventually we would like to get a new pair of mischievous bunnies, but not until sort of spring time next year.

It is done, the boys are back together again.

Frank is at the back, the blue planter is from our garden, it was empty and Frank used to like sitting in it and watching the world go by.

Spencer is at the front, he was a bit more reserved and the plainer heather suited his personality better.

They were a pair of super bunnies, while neither were big on cuddles, they both showed their affection in their own way.

Frank would come over and give you a nudge, and if you were lucky Spencer would give you licks.

Spencer gave me licks last night in vets waiting room, and part of me wonders whether they know when their time is up.

We will never forget them, with their cute little faces, and their furry little thumpers. They were taken too soon, but I know that they will be up there binkying and eating the tastiest grass and snoozing in the sun.

54118aeb261b6bb381c5c09d9015da41.jpg

It is done, the boys are back together again.

Frank is at the back, the blue planter is from our garden, it was empty and Frank used to like sitting in it and watching the world go by.

Spencer is at the front, he was a bit more reserved and the plainer heather suited his personality better.

They were a pair of super bunnies, while neither were big on cuddles, they both showed their affection in their own way.

Frank would come over and give you a nudge, and if you were lucky Spencer would give you licks.

Spencer gave me licks last night in vets waiting room, and part of me wonders whether they know when their time is up.

We will never forget them, with their cute little faces, and their furry little thumpers. They were taken too soon, but I know that they will be up there binkying and eating the tastiest grass and snoozing in the sun.

54118aeb261b6bb381c5c09d9015da41.jpg

How beautiful.

Such gorgeous boys, and their antics and love for you will never be forgotten

So sorry that this had to happen, both your bunnies were well loved, which I'm sure they knew. Binky free together Frank and Spencer xxxx

does it matter now?

I'm sorry if this adds to Zarathustra's pain, but I would agree with Jack's-Jane, yes a pm or at least having a PCR test done on liver tissue samples would be a good idea. It would at least give some answers as to the cause. I'm so sorry both rabbits have passed away, heartbreaking.

The vet at the emergency vets who had treated Spencer recommended getting a PM done, because two rabbits that lived together suffered similar symptoms and passed away with a couple of days of each other.

I had already decided that if Spencer was to pass away then I would look at getting a PM, luckily the father in law helped with paying for Spencer’s treatment, and the PM.

I feel that it was important, not only to give my wife and I a chance of getting some answers, but also if it is something contagious the vets etc can warn other rabbit owners etc.

I am so sorry for your loss of Spencer. It must be devastating to lose two beloved pets so close to each other.

We do not have RHD or RHD2 where I live so we do not have vaccinations available. However, I have had two incidents where I lost multiple bunnies with similar symptoms. With the first incident I had PM's done on two bunnies with nothing conclusive (I had a sick bunny who took months to get back to normal and two healthy bunnies at home). With the second incident the vet tested some fecal matter and said it was from a type of bacteria that overtook the good gut bacteria.

I hope your PM will give you an answer, especially if it was related to the vaccination mix up.

Frank and Spencer will enjoy their lovely resting place and all the love that went into it becoming their special place. I hope you and your wife will eventually be able to find peace in knowing you gave Frank and Spender a loving and happy home for the short time they were with you both. May the memories of happier times comfort you in this difficult time.

Back