• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suspected Abscess behind eye

ACowan182

New Kit
Hi guys,

Just to give you a bit of background after adopting 2 rabbits 10months ago Rolo died last week after having a constant battle with inappetance which turned out to be caused by a mega colon. As you can imagine its been a tough 10months of sleepless nights and many many vet trips for us.

So this morning my other rabbit mittens went in to get her eye flushed as it had been leaking for a few weeks (she'd been seen by a vet several times and was on medicated drops) it just took a while to get a date that was suitable. So after the procedure a vet I hadn't seen before from the practice phoned me to let me know how it went. She was concerned by the left eye looking bulgy so she flushed the tear duct (lots of stuff came out apparently) then she had mittens xrayed. Her teeth look fine but she couldn't tell from the X-ray whether or not there was an abscess behind the eye. Mittens has been eating really well and been acting like a normal bunny. The vet starting talking about taking the eye out and possibly putting her down if the infection is too bad. Given the last 10months I'm now panicking about this, it would destroy me to lose both of them within weeks of each other.

Should she be able to tell if an abscess is there from the X-ray? I'm hoping it could just be swollen from the flushing and stress of being at the vets.

I have an appointment on Wednesday with a vet that I trust and is very rabbit savvy but I'm just hoping for some advice so I don't feel so panicky about it.

I appreciate anything you guys can tell me...I know rabbits can lead a happy life with 1 eye...Ill do anything to give her the best chance

Hi guys,

Just to give you a bit of background after adopting 2 rabbits 10months ago Rolo died last week after having a constant battle with inappetance which turned out to be caused by a mega colon. As you can imagine its been a tough 10months of sleepless nights and many many vet trips for us.

So this morning my other rabbit mittens went in to get her eye flushed as it had been leaking for a few weeks (she'd been seen by a vet several times and was on medicated drops) it just took a while to get a date that was suitable. So after the procedure a vet I hadn't seen before from the practice phoned me to let me know how it went. She was concerned by the left eye looking bulgy so she flushed the tear duct (lots of stuff came out apparently) then she had mittens xrayed. Her teeth look fine but she couldn't tell from the X-ray whether or not there was an abscess behind the eye. Mittens has been eating really well and been acting like a normal bunny. The vet starting talking about taking the eye out and possibly putting her down if the infection is too bad. Given the last 10months I'm now panicking about this, it would destroy me to lose both of them within weeks of each other.

Should she be able to tell if an abscess is there from the X-ray? I'm hoping it could just be swollen from the flushing and stress of being at the vets.

I have an appointment on Wednesday with a vet that I trust and is very rabbit savvy but I'm just hoping for some advice so I don't feel so panicky about it.

I appreciate anything you guys can tell me...I know rabbits can lead a happy life with 1 eye...Ill do anything to give her the best chance

I am very sorry for your loss of Rolo, Megacolon is very nasty isn't it.

I am also sorry that you now have more worries regarding Mittens. An abscess behind the eye should be evident on skull radiographs. Did the Vet comment on what was making her unsure of what Mitten's Xray revealed ?

This link does contain some graphic images, but it may provide you with some useful information about Retrobulbar Abscesses (abscesses behind the eye)

https://www.vetstream.com/watkinsandtasker/html/Factsheets/Otherpets/24_290515.asp

As you have said, Rabbits can cope well with just one eye. If they were already unsighted in the diseased eye and/or if it was giving them pain they often become a lot brighter within themselves after surgery.

I hope that your trusted Vet will be able to offer you reassurance and a plan of action to treat Mittens.

Hi guys,

I'm really sorry to hear about Rolo. It sounds like you've been through the mill, and of course now you have another bunny problem on your hands!

I would've thought that an abscess or tumour of any sort would've been visible on an X-ray. However, it all depends on the angle they were able to get.

Abscesses can be treated with antibiotics, especially if they are draining, or else the eye can be removed. I have had one eyed rabbits before (and plenty of totally blind ones!) and they manage and enjoy life fine :)

Given you feel it may be swelling from flushing the tear duct, maybe you could wait a few days and see whether things settle down.

I am so glad you have a very good vet. That's worth it's weight in gold and you can trust them.

Please don't panic right now. Wait until you have a bit more info and a way forward, guided by your vet. It's hard not to panic, especially with what you've been through - I really feel for you xx

Megacolon is pretty awful, we only found out the day she died that she had it...it was fairly severe and she just wasn't strong enough for the treatment :(

If I'm honest the vet just seemed unsure in general what the problem was, she did say that everything is so small in rabbits its hard to tell. I think a load of pus came out during the flushing and her eye then looked bulgy...I think it looks okay now but I'm starting to lose all concept of what her eye looks like normally! The vet just scared me by talking about taking her eye out/putting her down if the infection was too far gone...to be honest I don't think she should have put that out there without knowing what it is.

Thanks for your message I feel more equipped for what may be round the corner!

I'm really sorry to hear about Rolo. It sounds like you've been through the mill, and of course now you have another bunny problem on your hands!

I would've thought that an abscess or tumour of any sort would've been visible on an X-ray. However, it all depends on the angle they were able to get.

Abscesses can be treated with antibiotics, especially if they are draining, or else the eye can be removed. I have had one eyed rabbits before (and plenty of totally blind ones!) and they manage and enjoy life fine :)

Given you feel it may be swelling from flushing the tear duct, maybe you could wait a few days and see whether things settle down.

I am so glad you have a very good vet. That's worth it's weight in gold and you can trust them.

Please don't panic right now. Wait until you have a bit more info and a way forward, guided by your vet. It's hard not to panic, especially with what you've been through - I really feel for you xx

Thanks for your support, its just been pretty terrible timing! I picked up Rolo's ashes the day this whole abscess thing has come up!

Oh good I'm glad they can be visible on Xrays I'm hoping the vet I'm seeing tomorrow will be able to make more sense of the xray as the other vet just seemed unsure of everything.

She's currently on anti biotics and eye drops (I think its a 10 day course) so with any luck they've managed to drain whatever was there and the anti biotics will do the rest :)

Thanks so much for your kind words its been a roller coaster! Mittens has been a bit subdued since coming back, theres been some poops and she'll eat from my hand...I'm hoping its just her readjusting after the GA!

Megacolon is pretty awful, we only found out the day she died that she had it...it was fairly severe and she just wasn't strong enough for the treatment :(

If I'm honest the vet just seemed unsure in general what the problem was, she did say that everything is so small in rabbits its hard to tell. I think a load of pus came out during the flushing and her eye then looked bulgy...I think it looks okay now but I'm starting to lose all concept of what her eye looks like normally! The vet just scared me by talking about taking her eye out/putting her down if the infection was too far gone...to be honest I don't think she should have put that out there without knowing what it is.

Thanks for your message I feel more equipped for what may be round the corner!

Can you take a few photos of her eye, now - in a day's time - in two days etc ... For your own (and the vet's) reference? Then you can discuss whether anything is getting worse or better.

I agree, a vet shouldn't suggest PTS when they can't even see clearly enough on the X-ray to diagnose. You have a good vet, but you are entitled to see another vet without telling your current vet. A second opinion vet will request the details from your vet, so they would see the X-ray and perhaps give you another point of view or situation to consider. Just a thought. Maybe not for now, but to bear in mind.

We are not tied to one vet and seeing another doesn't signify disloyalty - they are used to it :D. You can go back to your normal vet after seeing another. Your rabbit's best interests is what's important - not the vet's ego :D

Can you take a few photos of her eye, now - in a day's time - in two days etc ... For your own (and the vet's) reference? Then you can discuss whether anything is getting worse or better.

I agree, a vet shouldn't suggest PTS when they can't even see clearly enough on the X-ray to diagnose. You have a good vet, but you are entitled to see another vet without telling your current vet. A second opinion vet will request the details from your vet, so they would see the X-ray and perhaps give you another point of view or situation to consider. Just a thought. Maybe not for now, but to bear in mind.

We are not tied to one vet and seeing another doesn't signify disloyalty - they are used to it :D. You can go back to your normal vet after seeing another. Your rabbit's best interests is what's important - not the vet's ego :D

Thats a really good idea, it'll help to monitor whats going on! Looking at something so much makes you lose all perspective!

Its so true I think we all become afraid to leave vets after being there so long...I think we're all a bit too polite? Lol

I feel less like my Mittens is on her way out :)

Thats a really good idea, it'll help to monitor whats going on! Looking at something so much makes you lose all perspective!

Its so true I think we all become afraid to leave vets after being there so long...I think we're all a bit too polite? Lol

I feel less like my Mittens is on her way out :)

You don't have to look upon it as 'leaving them' so much as 'supplementing them' :lol:

As for being polite - we pay heftily for a service and I for one expect it to be good!!

Can't vouch for behind the eye, but Aboleth had an abscess while she was at the previous rescue and the rescue I got her from got it removed. She's fine now, although some things are different (her head feels weird, she tends to come to us 'on the wrong side' because she's a weirdo...). The pre-op pictures were awful and she was clearly in some pain :( Getting a second opinion would be a great course of action, and as long as she's still fine in herself you have some time to sort it :)

Great news guys! Went to see my normal vet this morning with Mittens and she said there was no reason to think there was an abscess behind her eye! She's no idea why that vet said there could be, it was just normal discharge during the flushing and the eye was a bit bulgy just from being poked at :D She also apologised for the scare especially given everything that happened with Rolo

Thanks so much for all your advice it made the last couple of days much less scary.

Great news guys! Went to see my normal vet this morning with Mittens and she said there was no reason to think there was an abscess behind her eye! She's no idea why that vet said there could be, it was just normal discharge during the flushing and the eye was a bit bulgy just from being poked at :D She also apologised for the scare especially given everything that happened with Rolo

Thanks so much for all your advice it made the last couple of days much less scary.

Fantastic !! So pleased for you and for Mittens xx

It all makes a lot more sense now :thumb:

Great news - glad to hear it :D

Back