• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Amy Spayed- Update: The Stitches Saga

Good luck with the cleaning - no I have never bought one of those vests. I don't think they would be very impressed. Keep her toilet area very clean to help her get over this infection.

Not entirely sure if I did the cleansing right; basically dampened cotton pads and wiped them over the wound. Amy would only let me hold her still for about ten seconds before kicking (and scratching me in the process). Mum was supposed to help me, but was completely :censored: useless and :censored: off halfway through to sit and knit.

She has a vest on now; very much doesn't like it. Poor fit, needs to be modified. I bought two sets in different sizes, she's wearing the bigger one, which is a bit too loose on her. I'll probably try out the smaller one later. I left two of the three poppers undone. I'll need to sort it around her hips and a hole for the tail/bum.

One unhappy bunny:

imagejpg1-10.jpg

Hi there,

I had a similar problem with my rabbit post-spay - no infection but she pulled the internal stitches out and it got a bit messy... :? I opted for a sock, and sewed a hem on the end I had trimmed to stop it fraying too much (photo below)

She wasn't happy about it (and nor was I really...) but it worked - I adjusted it once or twice a day to keep the wound covered etc.

IMG_0255_zps05a77782.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I hope you manage to find something that works ok :thumb:

That looks pretty neat. I'm going to modify the small one and put her back soon; I'll check on her later, see how it's working. She's pretty much plotting her revenge for all this indignity right now.

Bless her, she does look a bit miffed but it's for the best.

Cotton wool should fine, as you say there aren't bits that can get caught on her. I think that as long as you can get some of the solution over the infected area that's the main thing. Don't really try to scrub it around just lightly sweep it across.

Hope it all goes well over the next few days :)

Got the second one on much easier, after some modifications. She's back now; I'll give her the second go of antibiotics later.

Aww poor grumpy girl! She doesn't look happy at all with her little vest on :lol:

Hope she feels better soon and things start to clear up xx

Hope she's coping with the vest, and that you're prepared for a grumpy bunny for a few days!

The vests were a good call! I wouldn't have thought of using them!

Hope it's all happy healing from here :thumb:

She seems to be alright in the vests, though she didn't want her breakfast (bunny biscuit/bit of Weetabix) this morning, though she ate all her pellets. Gonna give her the first dose of antibiotics and some painkillers soon.

Wound cleaned, fresh vest on; not too sure about how I cut this one. The first one had some poo on it, so I cut this one higher, but I hope I didn't cut it high enough for her to get at the wound. Mum says it looks worse than yesterday, though I think it looks a little better. Very grumpy right now, even gave me a growl, though back to lucking my hands.

I hope Amy is getting better. You should start to see improvement now she is meds to treat the infection & your keeping it clean :) if you do think it's still not healing then take her straight back to the vets.

Healing vibes for Amy x

Managed to slip the vest off during the night whilst I was sleeping; got it back on now, and first dose of antibiotics. Rascal. Gonna need more vests soon.

Wound cleaned, fresh vest and used the last of the painkillers earlier. Keeps trying to lick it through the fabric, though, and I'll be cutting her nails later. Meanwhile my parents are going out for drinks with friends.

What a fun Saturday night I'm having!

Oh, that is a little hilarious and a little sad. What size is it? It doesn't say on the page. Amy is a dwarf lop, but a very large one.
I used the sizing guide at the manufacturer's website which says:
XXXS:* * Rabbit 0,6 - 0,8 kg
XXS:** * Rabbit 0,8 - 1,5 kg
XS:** * Rabbit 1,5 - 2,0 kg
S:** * Rabbit 2,0 - 3,5 kg
M:* * Rabbit 3,5 - 4,5 kg
L:* * Rabbit 4,5 - 5,5 kg

They're quite stretchy due to the Lycra content which seems to be what makes them fairly immune to bunny teeth. Sugar wore hers for two weeks and while it was looking a little tatty by the end she'd not managed a single escape from it.

If, heaven forbid, I need to put a bun through a spay again I'll be getting one of these ahead of time and delivering it and the bun together the the vet.

Back