• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Olly not good today :( U/D Success!!!!

Well i did my usual dash home at lunchtime, and although Olly was still scared of me he did eat a bit - i have resorted to giving him things he isn't allowed (due to high calcium content :( ). He had some parsley and a slice of banana, and some oat hay. I hope he starts eating more soon, his poos were really tiny :cry: I'm so worried. And he is a single bun, so if he's scared of me he has no one to snuggle with :cry:

Olly is munching much more tonight thank goodness :) and he is much happier. He is back in his usual position on his comfy blanket :love: and he even let me stroke him :love: until tomorrow that is, when i have to grab him again :(

First time on here today. Glad Olly is happier. Sorry, I was unaware you worked in a pharmacy :oops: Still I bet those that do know chuckled.

Calming and keep still vibes for Olly in the morning.

ETA the word "pharmacy"

Last edited:
Olly is munching much more tonight thank goodness :) and he is much happier. He is back in his usual position on his comfy blanket :love: and he even let me stroke him :love: until tomorrow that is, when i have to grab him again :(

I feel your pain. :( Mimzy was always dodgy about needles and it took forever sometimes just to get him calm enough to inject. Then if we didn't tent his skin right it would just pour right back out and I can't tell you how many times I would have to scrub him to get the medicine and smell off and fearing he'd lick the area and possibly die from the Pen-G. I even shaved a spot on his back once to be absolutely certain which was probably an overreaction. :oops:

I don't know which is worse, this or sub q fluids where you have to hold the bunny still long enough to get the solution in and not have it stream out the injection site. :roll:

I hope it gets easier tomorrow. Probably by the time you're both into a routine with it though you'll be out of medicine. That's what always happened to me. :(

Extra snuggles for Olly tonight and hugs for you. I'm certain any upset feelings on Olly's part will vanish quickly. He's such a love and you both obviously have a strong bond. :love: xxxx

First time on here today. Glad Olly is happier. Sorry, I was unaware you worked in a :oops: Still I bet those that do know chuckled.

Calming and keep still vibes for Olly in the morning.

Thank you :love:

I feel your pain. :( Mimzy was always dodgy about needles and it took forever sometimes just to get him calm enough to inject. Then if we didn't tent his skin right it would just pour right back out and I can't tell you how many times I would have to scrub him to get the medicine and smell off and fearing he'd lick the area and possibly die from the Pen-G. I even shaved a spot on his back once to be absolutely certain which was probably an overreaction. :oops:

I don't know which is worse, this or sub q fluids where you have to hold the bunny still long enough to get the solution in and not have it stream out the injection site. :roll:

I hope it gets easier tomorrow. Probably by the time you're both into a routine with it though you'll be out of medicine. That's what always happened to me. :(

Extra snuggles for Olly tonight and hugs for you. I'm certain any upset feelings on Olly's part will vanish quickly. He's such a love and you both obviously have a strong bond. :love: xxxx

Thanks :love: the one good thing is that it isn't penicillin! I have already enlisted the help of OH for tomorrow, much more chance of success if he holds Olly for me!! :? Hopefully anyway!!

Well I did it, eventually. Just about :shock: my first attempt failed miserably and all the stuff came out - I don't even know how :? I wasn't too phased at first, I just got a tissue and wiped it off him. Then there was blood on the tissue and I felt awful :( is that really bad? Could I have hurt him? He didn't flinch or anything. Anyway I got another syringe/needle and did it again, and it seemed ok. I'm so useless at this! When I 'tent' his scruff it seems really difficult; I don't know if he's tensing up, but there just doesn't seem to be much loose skin :? It wasn't like that when I practised at the vets. I hope I can get it right tomorrow.

Olly is actually loads better today. Eating back to normal, poops getting much better, still not drinking though. I'm trying to give him more wet greens to compensate. He's back to normal otherwise, apart from being very wary of me :( I wish he understood why I have to do this to him, I hate it :(

Sorry I have no answers for you regarding the blood but just wanted to send you vibes that he continue to get better and drink soon :love:

Awwww bless little Olly and hugs for you xxxx

You are doing really well to deal with something as hard as injections. You are a lovely bunny mum xxxxx

i think we don't tent the skin enough because we don't want to hurt them. i did the same. and also the squirting the liquid straight through aswell :roll: :oops:

sounds like you're getting the hang of it now, and hopefully it'll be easier with o/h helping.

more vibes for lovely olly x

Well I did it, eventually. Just about :shock: my first attempt failed miserably and all the stuff came out - I don't even know how :? I wasn't too phased at first, I just got a tissue and wiped it off him. Then there was blood on the tissue and I felt awful :( is that really bad? Could I have hurt him? He didn't flinch or anything. Anyway I got another syringe/needle and did it again, and it seemed ok. I'm so useless at this! When I 'tent' his scruff it seems really difficult; I don't know if he's tensing up, but there just doesn't seem to be much loose skin :? It wasn't like that when I practised at the vets. I hope I can get it right tomorrow.

Olly is actually loads better today. Eating back to normal, poops getting much better, still not drinking though. I'm trying to give him more wet greens to compensate. He's back to normal otherwise, apart from being very wary of me :( I wish he understood why I have to do this to him, I hate it :(

This happened to me one of the last times I had to give Mimzy sub q fluids. My vet told me there's quite a few capillaries back there and if it was only a spot of blood it was no big deal but I agree it can worry one. :( I felt terrible myself and luckily he began drinking on his own soon after so it all worked out. Must admit I'll be wary of ever having to do it again.
Be sure the needle is going in parallel to his back and not poking downward. I used to goof this up hence why the OH had to take over. He was more steady and practised as his grandfather had diabetes when OH was a youngster and he'd had to help him with his insulin injections.
Could Olly be a bit dehydrated? Is his skin holding the shape after you pinch it up? Should be right behind the shoulder blades and there should be ample skin to tent. You might be going a bit far forward towards his head if you're not finding enough to make the tent.
It's really hard to get the hang of it, I have to say I would rather the nurses or vet do this stuff. I stink at it. :(

Oh, and if he's eating more veg he might not be at the bowl or bottle as much. Mimzy does this too because they're getting more water from the greens.

More comforting vibes for you and Olly. xxxx

Thanks everyone :love:and i just DID IT :D properly, first attempt :D ridiculously pleased with myself! Feel much better now.

Im having to give my hazel penicillin injections at the moment and its a nightmare i dread having to do it and she is so jumpy now and wont come near me its heart breaking but i keep telling myself its for her best i just wish she knew that.
The only way i had any success was my friend holding her with one hand and with his other hand pulling away the bit of fur at the back with his finger and thumb otherwise i just go all the way through,total nightmare,3 times ive gone all the way through and its gone on her fur i have wiped it of with a wet sponge but she grooms herself after so im sure she has indused some not good,hope Olly feels better soon.

Olly is like a different bunny! :love: he is just awesome :D he is sooo much happier, and livelier - i think i should have done this months ago. He's full of beans! Just love him to bits :love:

Back