• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Infacol - Help Please U/D Just got back from the vets

Ashley

Alpha Buck
I found my Bunny unwell this morning. She has all the symptoms of Bloat. She has had Watercress last night for the first time so likely to have caused it.:(

I've just bought some infacol and having not administered it before need your advice.

How is it best to hold her?

Do i put syringe in at the side of her mouth.:roll:

Sorry for being such a woose :oops:

Last edited:
Can you get to a vet? If she isn't eating and you are unsure, I'd take her to a vet because bunnies that don't eat go down hill really quick. She will need a gut stimulent and pain killers (very important).

In the meantime, Infacol- depending on the rabbit, some you can hold int he crook of your arm and syringe feed others are less helpful! If you can get someone to hold her that will help. If not, try to get her so you hold her between your knees on the floor, then you have your hands free.

You need to put the dropper into the side of her mouth and squeeze it in. I usually give 2 droppers full.

You might want to try a tummy rub too (I go clockwise, quite slowly). Then if you don't have any poos within an hour, I'd call the vets. Fingers crossed!

I completely failed she was having none of it :cry:

I checked her bum whilst holding her and she had a good size pellet stuck to her. I pulled it gently and it had a string that was connect to another. I'd say it was very hairy. So molt could be problem. :roll:

I was reluctant at first to go to vet as she get extremely stress in the car when shes not even poorly. The stress could make her worse :(

If i take her to vets should i take her bonded male too for company etc.

Update ! Booked appointment for 15.00

I just called vet and they are seeing her at 3pm.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for advice.

From what other people say on here, I would say it is a good idea to take them both, as then their bond has no chance of breaking from being split up. That is what I would do if I had a pair. I hope the vets goes well and your bunny is better soon. My bun has just had stasis, probably from moulting, so I know how scarey it is :( I now give him one 40mg chewable bromelain tablet (pineapple enzyme) every day that he has a heavy moult, every other day if its not so bad. I've been splitting it in half and giving half in the evening half at night, as they are quite sugary I think and I don't want to give him gas whilst he is still recovering. I got them from Holland and Barrett, but they do a 500mg one too, so make sure you buy the right one, as I didn't the first time! I've had a nibble of the chewable one and they are quite yummy! Good luck :wave:
Oh and my bun doesn't like being given his medicine from a syringe either. Theres a thread on here called 'bunny burrito - giving your bunny medicine' or something along those lines which may help, although I have found I have to wrap him in a towel and sit him on my knee, otherwise I can't keep him still and get to his mouth at the same time :roll: An extra pair of hands would be useful if you can rope someone else in to help :lol: Sorry for such a long post :rolleyes:

Glad you're taking her to the vet, it sounds like a build up of fur and that won't really shift without some painkillers and gut motility drugs.

If she gets very stressed in the car (I've a rabbit that does too), I'd take both, it will help her stay calm.

Hopefully she will be on the mend soon.

Good luck at the vets. :)

To be honest, with mine I find there is a build up of fur when their guts slow down, rather than it causing the gut slow down, if that makes sense.

We just got back from the vet.

She said she has some gas and this is due to something had upsetting her tummy. She has given me a probiotic and gut mobility liquid. I have to give them both 3 times daily. and 0.5 ml of Infacol.

I just did first dose (horaay!) I was a bit more confident as the vet showed me how to hold her. I have to admit though i knocked the infacol on the floor at one point and most of it spilt out. :roll:

Thought i was going to have a quiet Sunday! Cost me £53 at the vets:shock: She's totally worth it and i hope it sorts her poorly tummy out.

I found that keeping my Barney-bunny moving seemed to help... He didn't appreciate it at all. But I wonder if this helps things move along?

I found that keeping my Barney-bunny moving seemed to help... He didn't appreciate it at all. But I wonder if this helps things move along?

I always chase mine around when they have tummy troubles. It does seem to help.
Hope she feels better soon.

I always chase mine around when they have tummy troubles. It does seem to help.
Hope she feels better soon.

Me too - I had to prise Benny out of his hutch the other day and chase him round the patio for his own good :)

Glad you got on ok at the vets. Hope she feels better soon.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who chases poorly rabbits, it's like walking a horse with colic, it's for their own good.

I have also been chasing my bunny around for the last few days to try and get his tummy moving, while he is recovering from stasis. It fairly easy as he doesn't want to come near me at all (aside from ear rubs, under his terms :lol:), because of all the medicine I've been syringing him. :( I've been rubbing his tummy like the vet showed me, from his head end, downwards towards the tail end and I think this is helping too. Thats not really a very good description, but I'm not sure how else to explain it! :oops: Hope she starts to feel better soon, they are expensive little things aren't they?! :lol:

She was out in the run looking perky when i got up a 7am so i knew she was feeling better :D

She is eating and pooing so thats great too. Poos are small but i think thats to be expected. I carried on with meds today, but if fine in morning, i will keep meds in case of a further episode.

They really worry you when they are unwell. She has had bloat twice since i got her in May. I wonder if she has been prone to this before i got her. The previous owner wouldn't of noticed :roll:

Glad to hear she's feeling better!

Did the vet take a good look at her teeth? One of my buns seems to be prone to bouts of bloat/stasis when her teeth are starting to overgrow. I think it causes her pain and that is what starts the whole cycle off. With two bouts in a couple of months I would definitely suspect that the bloat is a secondary problem and would highlight dental problems as a likely candidate!

Thanks Alison.

I think she might just have a delicate tummy. She has been spayed since i got her so shes been to vets about 5 times in all and had her teeth checked. A couple of things may be conbributing factors.

She is overwieight! She had cheap mix with previous owner, so although i weaned slowly, maybe it could be the Burgess Excel. Vet said some rabbits get bloat when they only have mix everyday.

I have introduced veg slowly too and i did give her a sprig of watercress for the first time the night before. Maybe its just because its new. Last time i think it was Brocolli, but she eats that fine now. She didn't have brocolli that day so i know it wasn't the brocolli again :roll:

I think i'll stick to the veg i know doesn't upset her, rather than being too imaginative. :)

She needs to go on a diet so I'll start a new thread on that one :roll:

Back