• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How soon can I get my rabbit a friend?

lapin

Young Bun
My rabbit was spayed on Monday and since then, she’s been indoors in a dog crate. I was thinking of putting her back outside today (unless it’s too soon?) but I’m worried that she’ll be really lonely. She’s been a single bunny all her life (I haven’t had her very long) but she seems so happy indoors, I think she loves having company, which is understandable.

How soon can I get her a friend? She has to go back to the vet’s on Thursday for a post-op check up and to have her stitches removed if they haven’t dissolved. If she’s ok physically, does she still need time for her hormones to settle down, or can I get her a friend straight away?

Only you know your rabbit and if circumstances will allow her to stay inside. My rabbit hated being inside so I put her out as soon as possible after her spay. My vet recommended waiting 8 weeks for her hormones to settle down but after a fortnight I went by the rescue's advice and felt she had healed and was happy so took her along to a rescue and bonded her with MJ and they have been very happy together ever since. Good luck with finding your bunny a friend whether inside or outside:)

My bun was started bonding process 14 days after spay. She was fine with it and came home with new husbun last Sunday :D

Back