• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are you ready for cuteness overload?

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I have a huge sense of foreboding about this but sincerely hope to be proved wrong. A colleague has bought 2 8 week old rexes from her neighbour.... apart from hay eating, all my advice has been ignored. The bunnies are for the young Grandchildren and the Vet hand built the hutch. It's a solid construction but when she asked me how big are the buns likely to grow, I asked are they mini rexes or standard? Was met with a blank look so I indicated about 12 " long to be met with a shocked face. They are going for their vaccinations the end of this month but sex unknown... she asked me what if they're a boy and and a girl... DOH! My reply was you'll have a lot of bunnies. I've a feeling my advice about neutering was deemed over the top. At least they spoke to a Vet but I get the impression my advice counts for diddly squat when pitted against the Vets and the breeder.

Anyway here's the pics.... please God let them be the same sex

dannis019.jpg

dannis020.jpg

dannis041.jpg

dannis044.jpg

Well they are beautiful :love:

I am amazed the Breeder couldn't sex them at 8 weeks :shock:

Janex
not sure if she's a reputable or backyard breeder. I can go and have another look but I'm certanly no expert.... all I would be hoping for is that the 2 holes are the same distance apart :oops: :oops: :oops: Please correct me if I'm wrong and if they are of opposite sex, how soon could he get his sibling pregnant :?

not sure if she's a reputable or backyard breeder. I can go and have another look but I'm certanly no expert.... all I would be hoping for is that the 2 holes are the same distance apart :oops: :oops: :oops: Please correct me if I'm wrong and if they are of opposite sex, how soon could he get his sibling pregnant :?

If they are Buck and Doe then ideally they need to be seperated at 10-12 weeks to be 'safe' Although I doubt a Doe would be fertile at such a young age. If they can get the Buck (if there is one!!) 'defused' as soon as plums appear then *hopefully* that will avert an unwanted litter if they insist on keeping them together as the Bucks plums should be ripe by 12 weeks, before the Doe is fertile. Although Bucks do remain fertile for up to 6 weeks post castration............

Janex

If they are Buck and Doe then ideally they need to be seperated at 10-12 weeks to be 'safe' Although I doubt a Doe would be fertile at such a young age. If they can get the Buck (if there is one!!) 'defused' as soon as plums appear then *hopefully* that will avert an unwanted litter if they insist on keeping them together as the Bucks plums should be ripe by 12 weeks, before the Doe is fertile. Although Bucks do remain fertile for up to 6 weeks post castration............

Janex
thanks Jane. So if there is a male, he'll be "ripe" when they go for vaccinations so I could suggest that as they have a double hutch, they convert it into 2 whilst they sort out the sexes... but then would they rebond again AAAGGGHHHH

You weren't joking, you're right cuteness overload!!! :D

Oh bless them. I hope they are mini and does. :(

They are really cute. Not sure about how big minirexes are at 8 weeks but they look like standard rexes to me. Also if they just call them "rex" my guess is they're standard rex. At least in Norway just saying "Rex" automatically means standard. (Minirexes are rare anyway)

Not to scare anyone or anything, but I have heard of does reaching sexual maturity as early as 3 months, at 4 months they gave birth:shock: I think those were both dwarves though, one at least was a lionhead or lionheadmix, and I think smaller breeds mature faster than the larger ones.

They are really cute. Not sure about how big minirexes are at 8 weeks but they look like standard rexes to me. Also if they just call them "rex" my guess is they're standard rex. At least in Norway just saying "Rex" automatically means standard. (Minirexes are rare anyway)

Not to scare anyone or anything, but I have heard of does reaching sexual maturity as early as 3 months, at 4 months they gave birth:shock: I think those were both dwarves though, one at least was a lionhead or lionheadmix, and I think smaller breeds mature faster than the larger ones.
Thanks for your input. All I can do is tell her what age they reach sexual maturity and tell her a few stories of mis-sexed buns... again :roll:

And yes Neil and Maria, it's incredibly frustrating especially as she knows Spike came from a situation where breeding got out of hand and that I help out at a rescue where there's a never ending stream of bunnies born to such situations.

So the plan is to print off these photos for her and add a few I have of baby buns from the rescue.

OK you got me slightly, they are cute:lol: :lol: :lol: babies still dont do it for me entirely though:lol: :lol: still prefer the teen asbo's and grumpy norty mature ones:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jill, what about giving her some RWA leaflets, this would back what you are trying to educate her with;) :D

They are so stunning I know how you feel with advice being discarded I have friends who have not neutered and wonder why their buns pee uncontrolably and spray etc but hey we just have to hope they dont get rehomed dont we - they are so cute Jill :love:

Back