• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baby bunny grinding his teeth update ....

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
ive got a baby in at the moment who is grinding his teeth is that a sign he,s in pain ? ive just called my vet and im taking him in at 10.30 the vet said on the phone that teeth grinding isnt a sign of pain but im not so sure, he looks uncomfortable and hasnt eaten overnight so i know there is definetly something wrong. his droppings are normal no diarrea but it is the teeth grinding that is worrying anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Rabbits can grind their teeth for tw oreasons. Either, they do this gently and it's a sort of purring noise. This indicates the rabbit is happy... mine does this when I'm grooming him or something. The other grinding is louder and indicates pain. If your bunny is not eating then you're doing exactly the right thing by taking him to a vet. ^-^

Hi :wave: Hope you are well,
Teeth grinding is a sign of pain (although it can mean other things too) but it sounds like with this baby that he may be experiencing some discomfort especially if he hasn't eaten etc. Is he hunched up at all, or keep stretching out?
Good luck at your vets, know where I am if you need anyhing x

You could try giving him a drop of infacol (the baby dose - it's human baby medicine for wind) and gently rubbing his tummy - Hope he's going to be OK as it sounds like pain rather than happiness making him grind his teeth :(

Is his tummy extended? Is he dehydrated? I would be inclined to think that the grinding (is it continuous and intense) linked with not eating is bad news :?

One of my buns will grind his teeth when hes sat on my lap or near me being stroked, he doesnt show any other signs of being ill. Eats fine eats his poo, loadsa hay water hops and jumps fine when hes ni the garden. Runs abit funny and is abit mad....

I'm assuming hes happy?? Also if your bun licks you is that a sign of happiness?? Hope so cos one of em this mornin just constantly licked my hand and twice on the nose :p.

Laters (Hope your bun recovers and is ok m8)

Soft infrequesnt grinding is a sign of contentment but continous noisey grinding is a sign of pain and in conjunction with other pain symptoms like anorexia I think it is unlikely that contentment is the cause in this case :?

well, ive seen the vet he,s given him a full check over and cant find anything wrong as such, he,s given him a painkiller, a gut stimulant and an antibiotic and he wants to see him tomorrow he seems abit brighter im support feeding him but he has started eating on his own so hopefully he,s on the mend i definetly think he was in pain cos the grinding was really loud
im praying he,s going to be ok
if i was to give him infacol how much should i give, he,s a baby lionhead x 10 weeks old

Hi honey, I am new here so bear with me. Infacol is ideal for bunnies, just half a drop from the applicator should do the trick. Is his tummy hard, if so get a hot water bottle and wrap a towel round it, this help release any gas, another good one is to put pineapple juice, pure, into there water, this helps get the stomach action moving again. My bunnies grind but it normally means there happy, but rabbits can't show pain so it is hard to know, I would go with the infacol first, you will know in a few hours if it is going to help, I always keep some lying around, x

Back