• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lumpy jaw

touie

Wise Old Thumper
when giving fudge his baytril I've noticed that his jaw feels lumpier that the others. The vet did say that there was a possibility that he could develop tooth problems soon if he doesn't start eating hay could that be to do with the lumps? :?

I've come across this too, also whilst giving Baytril. The teeth look fine on the inside but my vet said it could lead to problems. I guess its one of those things you need to keep an eye on... maybe an x-ray would show more.:)

Last edited:
It sounds as though his tooth roots have overgrown into his mandible. This is a sign of advanced Dental disease :cry: Some Buns dont have too much of a problem for a long time after 'lumps' appear. Others develop pain and abscesses. I would definately speak with your Vet about having a skull X-ray done at some stage which will give you some idea of prognosis

Janex

Patch (now at RB) had a lump on her jaw, which developed into an abcess. I would get it checked out asap.

thanks I was guessing that that might be the case :( I'll discuss it with the vet next time he goes

When Max was a young bunny my vet said that he might develop dental problems because he had lumps beneath his jaw. He was quite right, but the problems didn't start until he was nearly 3 years old.
Jane

Benny is around 3 and has just had a head x ray as hes had ongoing eye problems. It turns out that his jaw is lumpy at the bottom where his tooth roots are growing into his jaw. Also one of the upper teeth is pressing onto his tear duct and clocking it off.

Bennys prognosis isn't great and there isn't anything we can do other than keep an eye on him and make sure hes enjoying his food and life! I;d say get an x-ray then you know what you're dealing with.

Gemma

Back