• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

GI stasis

Aliandbuns

Mama Doe
Hi all - please can you let me know what you think on this one as I really don't want another week of worry like I have had this week...

I went away to Italy last weekend and so the buns went to stay with a lady who operates a boarding facility via our local vets. They have stayed with her before a couple of times without any problems.

When they got back this time, Molly was a little funny initially in that she was more interested in wandering round her hutch and run than eating, but she was eating bits and bobs so I just put it down to a change of scenery (she has acted like this before and been fine). The next morning she seemed fine, but then when I got in from work she was just lying in the corner of the run and refused to eat anything. Piper was fine, which made it rather difficult as he kept stealing the food that I was trying to tempt Molly with.:roll:

After a couple of hours of trying different foods without success I took Molly to the emergency vets where they gave her a gut motility injection (£106 - ouch). Next morning she was a lot better and is now fine again.:D

Then this morning, Piper was off his food! He would nibble on bits and bobs but normally he wolfs down anything I put in front of him and climbs all over me for more! He also just wanted to lie in the corner of his run and be left alone, but as he was nibbling on some of the food I offered him I decided to wait and see if he would improve.

By lunchtime he was right as rain!:D

So my question is what brought this on? I am convinced it was the fact they went to a boarders at the weekend that did it and think it must be due to a change of hay - I provided the boarding place with their pellet food but was told I did not need to provide hay!

So what do you all think? Next time I leave my buns with anyone else I will be ensuring their hay goes with them as a safety precaution, but am I missing something? It does seem odd that Piper seemed unwell 2 days later than Molly was ill!!

Well stress is enough to upset a Buns guts. Moving from one environment to another could cause stress. I suspect Molly got a stress related reduced GI motility problem and Piper ATE TOO MUCH of the food you tried to tempt Molly with!!

I very much doubt a change of hay caused the problem, unless it was mouldy hay in which case both Buns would have become poorly whilst still at the boarders.

I am glad both Buns are now well :D

£106 for a shot of Metoclop.......... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Janex

I agree with Jane - and can't believe you were charged over £100 for some metaclopromide - should be about £20 shouldn't it? :shock: :shock: :shock:

X3.. that seems hellishly expensive.. :shock:

Glad to hear the buns are back to normal ish again. Stress and travelling and changing their surroundings can indeed mess them up inside. :roll:

Thanks Jane - Molly is more susceptible to getting stressed out than Piper is, so perhaps stress was the reason.

Although Piper tried to eat Molly's food I did not let him (he is already chubby enough), I ended up putting a partition between them so they knew the other one was there but so that Piper could not eat her grub. So I don't know why Piper would have shown similar symptoms 2 days after Molly did.:?

The metoclop injection was actually £46, but I had to pay £60 just to see a vet. I do think this part is a rip off as it was at the Royal Veterinary College and they used Molly as a training aid for a trainee vet - which is a bit like paying £60 for a bad haircut from a trainee hairdresser. Oh well, at least another would-be vet now knows the signs of GI stasis.:roll:

Back