• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you use as litter? (Houserabbits)

Middy

Warren Scout
Albie had an impaction in her digestive system, possibly caused by her eating cardboard (which I thought was OK for buns) or possibly paper-based cat litter. Or possibly something else. We don't know for sure but are trying to eliminate all possibilities hence the removal of any paper litter.

I've just brought her home after nearly six days of hospital treatment – she is perky and finally passing poos and nibbling hay.

The vet has advised us to use only hay as litter for the indoor cage (we use the base of a cage as their eating/ poo area), bowls arranged and litter around them. The buns hop in and out as they please.

Anyway, Albie has just tried to munch the wood-based litter I bought for her so I've taken it all away as we can't risk any further complications.

Any advice? What do you use?

Thanks

Honestly, you can get impaction with just about ANY litter.. it just seems that paper based litters and whatnot are getting the worse rap for it.. I have heard of impaction even from shavings and what not.

I have been using carefresh (paper based litter) and have not had any problems. I tried the pelleted litter made of paper, however he tried nibbling on those (he loves his pellets so i'm assumed the paper ones tasted just as good! :lol: )

I would probably try a shaving bedding (aspen or kiln dried pine?) or if you are having that much problems, you may have to use just paper or puppy pads in order to keep bun from eating whatever you put down.

Erm, well.. I'm not sure where you would get it over there! :lol:

We sell it here at farm supply stores and whatnot.. the kd pine shavings are often though to be the plainest, safest, and most economical thing for rabbits and other small animals over here. It is moderate in its absorbancy and smell control.

For some reason aspen is considered "Safer" than pine, though I'm not sure why. And it is more expensive than pine.

I would check at P@H or a farm supply store?

:) I have been using those largeish sized cat litter pans, yes. You have to make sure to pay attention to the rim height though, so you're bun doesn't have to jump TOO much to get in it.. thats the trick to finding the right sized pan :lol:

If you're worried that she may try eating any litter you use, I wouldn't bother using any.
My buns litter trays are just lined with newspaper and topped off with fresh hay, but I do clean them morning and night.

I just line Trip and Scarletts litter tray with paper when they are in, but only because Scarlett drags it to the middle of the room and tips it over if its filled with litter :roll:

Erm, well.. I'm not sure where you would get it over there! :lol:

We sell it here at farm supply stores and whatnot.. the kd pine shavings are often though to be the plainest, safest, and most economical thing for rabbits and other small animals over here. It is moderate in its absorbancy and smell control.

For some reason aspen is considered "Safer" than pine, though I'm not sure why. And it is more expensive than pine.

I would check at P@H or a farm supply store?

It's because pine shavings/pelleted litter contains phenols, which are bad for the liver and the respiratory system. I've never ever seen kiln dried pine or aspen over here unfortunately - pretty much all of our shavings are pine.

I am pretty ranty about pine, it's evil stuff and in my opinion it shouldn't really be used for animals that are exposed to it a lot. If it's kiln dried [which 99.99% chance it won't have been if you're in th UK] then it isn't as bad, but you can't get it here :(

I got told by a vet that megazorb was being ingested by my bunnies (was found in the poos), so I switched to hay only. It was disgusting!! :shock: So, what I do now, which works really well, is put megazorb at the bottom, then a bit of Medibed straw, then stacks of hay. They never get down to the megazorb at the bottom, but it absorbs all the wee.

it also depends how much she digs but you could use megazorb or similar on the bottom and straw/hay on top. That way if she does get the munchies she only eats straw and hay.

You can get Aspen in the UK. I get it from my local pet shop but I use it for the guinea pigs. It's about the same price and quantity per bag as carefresh. I think it's marketed as snake and reptile bedding.

Nicola

Back