• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on worms please

Lynette

Warren Scout
Hello,

I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice.

Rusty has moved to the garage this week and all is fine there; still eating but I have noticed that it hasn't been quite as much over the last few months; although nothing that conerned me or the vet as I thought after him being ill at Christmas his eating habits were just levelling out.

I went out this morning and Rusty had weed and done some runny poo ( I think it was that anyway as it was all mixed in) and there was a very strange thing in it. I picked it up with a stick and it looked like a dead worm. Probably about an inch long and quite narrow (not your typical gargen worm).

Sorry to be so graphic :shock:

Now Rusty was very ill over Christmas and he tests done for worms (does it begin with E.. I can never remember the name) and it came back negative and we had been medicating for it before hand anyway.

Now it could be a case that a worm has just gone into the garage and found a nice wet smelley patch but i'm really not sure.

I'm very worried and really need advice.

Thanks people X

Hi Lynette

Sorry to hear about Rusty :cry:

I doubt the thing would be a worm, it sounds more like a string of muccous, which is produced when the digestive tract is inflamed.

The type of worms rabbits usually get (pinworms) are only about a cm long, and are white and wriggley.

I wouldn't have thought he had eaten a worm or that rabbit worms would be that large (although my lot did lick bird poo once, it was very expensive.

I bit of runny poo can be worrying but if he is eating, drinking and seems bright in himself, it probably isn't too much of a problem in itself.

I'm not sure if they do tonics for rabbits as such (I used to use Metatone with my guinea pigs), however, have you tried a probiotic? I use Avipro-Plus and it gives them extra vitamins too.

I've saved what ever it is anyway. I'm going to get the OH to have a look at it and see what he thinks. Shall I post pictures? :shock: Bet you would all love that :lol:

If it is the mocous is that something to worry about?

Hello,

Went home and checked it again and it was some stringy poo :oops:

Silly me.

I think the eating has got a bit slower because of the house move. He is still eating though; so we shall carry on keeping a close eye.

Thanks for the advice earlier - put my mind at rest while I was in work.

Lynette X

Have you given him anything for the stringy poo? Pineapple or papaya tablets or something? His tummy might be slowing up, so I would get in quick if I were you to try to prevent GI stasis (sorry - I am paranoid about such things! :oops: :lol: )

Back