• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age for vaccinations and neutering??

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Hey all,

So we can plan ahead for this one, we were just wondering what is the correct age for Jamie and Kitt to have:

a) their vaccinations, and
b) to be neutered?

They're both girls, and are 8-9 weeks of age.

What does their first vaccination cover? Does this last for the year? And roughly how much do the vaccinations and neutering cost, per rabbit?

Thanks all,

Lou and Haz xx

Hiya,

Myxi is usually done first and that can be done now. It's a good time to get it done too as that means the top protection is over the summer when they're most at risk. That needs to be repeated every 6 months. Make sure you quiz your vet and make sure they put 10% in the skin (the rest underneath), the manufacturer recommends doing the 10% in the base of the ear.

Two weeks later they can have VHD jabs which is repeated annually.

Girls are usually spayed at 6 months though some vets will do them earlier if you have hormonal issues and they're a good weight :)

While you've having the jabs ask the vet to double check sex just incase :)

Tam

They can have there 1st jab at 10weeks, neutering depends alot on your vet usually females are done at 6months and males as soon as they have dropped their testicles.

-

I left my Rabbit Popy's Spay until now as she is 1 years old.and she was starting to show the classic aggressive behaviour towards me due to her hornmones kicking in .
she became quite territorial of her home which is her cage .
she would not let me near her to stroke or even put her food into her cage either. as she kept trying to bite me and charge at my hand evry time I put my hand in her territory . :)

she was fine outside her cage letting me stroke her body and that and circleing my feet where ever I walked to inside the house. of course as she has not ever been out side yet befor on the grass I mean.
but she was fine towards me until she went back inside her cage again .
and started being territorial again. :(

but now that she's been spayed I think she's beguining to be a little carlmer again now. I have only seen a little of her behaviour change but I hope she mellows a lot more soon. :D
as she still growls at me like a dog when my hand goes in side her cage .
at times. :roll: :?
but she's doing less of the growling now I think than she was.

i knew she growled at me when i first put food into her cage and put my hand in her food bowl by accedent. that was when i first herd her do it.

I thought to my self Rabbits don't growl but she does .:)
my mum did'ent think Rabbits growl either .
infact it does not say in any rabbit book that Rabbits growl .
they grind their teeth it say's in books but no menshion of the Rabbit Growl like a dog does at you.

any way Poppy had her vac's done befor the Spay Op on her so she's protected.

yes it's the Mixy first then the VHD which if they go out side they must have .
the Mixy can just be done on them if they are living indoors. and don't go out side .
if the rabbits go outside they need the VHD apparently acording to my vet.
as well as the mixy. but they don't need the vhd if they are indoors.

so if the Rabbits are out doors they need the VHD injection which cost me £10.
if they are indoors they don't need this 1 injection done.

now mixy they need weather they are out doors or indoors it's 1 injection in the back of the neck. as my vet did Poppy's in the neck.

it cost me £14 pounds to have this injection done for Poppy.
but she also had her feet cliped to on that day but was not billed for that.
but the injection was above.

to have poppy's Spay op cost me £49 pounds to be done. pluse the fact she had picked at her stiching of 3 times. which she now has a 4th lot of stiching in her now to plus the collar and Bandage to stop her getting at them again.

and it has cost me now to have her restched 4 times £20.11p in all. which Iam anyoyed at as the vets where I go. they did not do anything to stop Poppy picking at her stiches sooner. like as soon as she had her Spay op.
instead they left it until Poppy had done it 3 times befor they actcherly did somthing about it. (riddiculus I say).

any way if you want your rabbits spayed I surgest making sure with your vets. that they have a collar around their heads and / or bandages .
to stop them trying to pick at their stiches.

or they will end up having more stiches put back in them like my Poppy has.

as for how much for the spay it was 49 pounds to have my 1 Rabbit done as I only have 1 Rabbit .
and yes she's a Female to like your 2's .
but is now spayed.

just don't regret after the Spay OP of what you have done.
as i have . :)
I realy did not want Poppy to be Spayed but she pushed my limits to the edge with her behaviour change towards me.

i would think about it first befor having them spayed don't jump in their to quicky i say as you may regret what you have done to them afterwards.

also you can spay them befor they are 1 years old like 6 months as the other people have said on here to.
but I waited to see how aggressive she would be when she reached 1 years old stage then I made the disishion .
because you never Know how their behaviour would be until then.

also having them spayed helps to prevent them getting Cancer of the womb and Utrus and the cancer of the Brests which appaently they can also get not just the Womb/ Uterus cancer .

i hope this is enough for you and it helps you out.
if you want more info from me then PM me on here thanks. ;)

Sorry but whether a rabbit is an indoor or outdoor bun, it still needs it`s VHD vacs.
Vhd is actually far more contagious than myxi & is much easier spread, I:E: on clothing, footwear & is also airbourne.

Su.x

Back