• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Lid closed

Leigh

Mama Doe
Noticed that Duke looked a bit sleppy this morning as we went to work and have just got home to find him with his left eye lid shut. There is no weeping, redness or anything that looks untoward.

I am goin to give him an eye bath with some boiled (and cooled) water, should i use salt in it? or is that for gargling? Anything else i can use at all?

He was fine yesterday so i can only assume that hes poked his eye with some hay or something since there is no weeping or is there a condition i am not aware of.

The other eye looks fine, but maybe slightly more closed that normal. all other behaviour seems 100% fine.

Cant do a search either as eye is onlt 3 characters long!!

Thanks.

I wouldn't wash it with salty water - just leave it plain.
If it is still closed, get him to the vet to do a fluorescein test to see if there is a scratch on the eye at all - which, if untreated could develop into an ulcer.
I had to take a bun to have this done today :D

I agree, def' get him to a Vet ASAP. He may have a bit of hay that is stuck under his upper eyelid and it will continue to do damage until it is removed

Janex

Spoken to our rabbit savvy vet and they have said bath it with cool boiled water and see how he is in the morning, if no change ring them and take him in. :)

They werent too concerned as there is no 'goo' coming out of his eye.

Im letting him have his dinner while the water cools and then will have a proper look to check for grass seeds etc.

Definitely take him to the vet.
I had this problem with Bobby, and I went to several vets, but none could tell me the problem. Sometimes his eyes were open, sometimes shut, lots of tests/ drops, but nothing.
Saw a different vet once for vaccs, and she did a check on him, and noticed the problem straight away. His eyelids fold inwards, so he has his lashes rubbing against his eye. There's nothing that can be done, and he seems to cope with it quite well.

Back