• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit acting odd

aerofine

Warren Scout
My 5 year old harlequin lion head cross is acting odd. Last week, I found him very lethargic, eyes closed, not moving, wouldn’t eat. I rushed him to the vet who said he was dehydrated and very low body temp. He was admitted and received glucose and fluids. He was not in stasis, vet could feel poops and his teeth are fine. Vet couldn’t tell me the issue.

I’ve since brought him inside (with his partner) to keep a closer eye. He’s generally fine, he eats his pellets, eats hay, drinking water. But his green food which he gets at tea time he’s not eating with the same voracity as he used to. They would both go mad for their tea and now he’s just picking at it.

I can’t work out what’s wrong or even if there is anything wrong. Anyone any ideas?

I would want him checked over by a vet again. Check teeth again. Do a full set of bloods. Maybe X-rays. Trust your instincts if you think there's something wrong - there probably is - you just haven't found it yet.

I agree, I would want him seen again by the vet to try to establish what the problem is.

It’s hard to say exactly with the sharing of litter boxes but the poo I know is definitely from him is normal.

It’s hard to say exactly with the sharing of litter boxes but the poo I know is definitely from him is normal.

Are the greens you feed always the same kind and do you always rinse them well before feeding them. Sometimes the rinsing done prior to packing involves the use of chemicals. Some greens taste different at different times of the year.

If you still have a gut feeling that there is something wrong then act on it and get him checked over again by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

Maybe try feeding fresh herbs rather than greens. Herbs tend to be more gentle on the GI tract. Most Rabbits seem to like coriander and flat leaf parsley. My Rabbits love Methi (Fenugreek), although it does make their wee smell like curry !

Are the greens you feed always the same kind and do you always rinse them well before feeding them. Sometimes the rinsing done prior to packing involves the use of chemicals. Some greens taste different at different times of the year.

If you still have a gut feeling that there is something wrong then act on it and get him checked over again by a Rabbit Savvy Vet.

Maybe try feeding fresh herbs rather than greens. Herbs tend to be more gentle on the GI tract. Most Rabbits seem to like coriander and flat leaf parsley. My Rabbits love Methi (Fenugreek), although it does make their wee smell like curry !

They get herbs and different lettuce types such as romaine. I don’t feed kale, cabbage, broccoli etc. I’ve never rinsed their food tbh.

They get herbs and different lettuce types such as romaine. I don’t feed kale, cabbage, broccoli etc. I’ve never rinsed their food tbh.

IMO it’s always best to rinse fresh produce. Just as we would if eating it ourselves. Not saying that it’s the reason your Bunny isn’t eating the veg though. As I said, go with your gut feeling. If you have a concern that something still isn’t right seek further help from a Rabbit Savvy Vet :)

Back