• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sticky eye

Nodz

New Kit
Today my bunny developed sticky eye . I've been bathing it with cooled boiled water and a pinch of salt which he loves having done but his fur on his cheek has gone hard and il hurt him if I rub it harder and he goes mardy! . Is there anything else I could use to loosen the fur and make him more comfortable? ( I am also going to get an appointment at vets when they open ) . Thank-you

Today my bunny developed sticky eye . I've been bathing it with cooled boiled water and a pinch of salt which he loves having done but his fur on his cheek has gone hard and il hurt him if I rub it harder and he goes mardy! . Is there anything else I could use to loosen the fur and make him more comfortable? ( I am also going to get an appointment at vets when they open ) . Thank-you

I would not attempt to get the hard crusted fur off yourself, it will be VERY painful so pain relief from the Vet will be needed. The Vet can then attempt to remove as much crusting as possible. The skin is so delicate so great care is needed so as not to damage it and cause even more problems. It is essential that the Vet sees him today as if he has any damage to his cornea it can become serious. Hopefully the problem can be resolved with a course of antibiotic eye drops. But as I said, it’s essential to establish that there is no damage to the actual eye hence the need for prompt Veterinary attention.

Back