• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ridges in inscisors?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
well the rspca finally dropped in on my half sis today..to advise her..um she did more than that..she told my sis if she didnt get the bunny sorted out in 2 weeks an dhav ehr rottie booked in tobe spayed too..then shed take the animals away..

i need to speak to jeny to confirm exactly what was said as my half sis has a bit of a fantasisng problem or twisting the truth.

apparently giles has molar spurs.un treated..and odd big ridges in his inscisors..
is this due to a poor diet on cheap nasty rabbit food i wonder?

she still will not let me take giles..and jenny has told my sis to return giles to her daughter..even hto she was cruel to him..and jenny will be visiting every fortnight!!

she told my sister she had too many animals to aford to keep..and said shed have to thin the amounts down..and when my sster said she couldnt afford to have the rottie spayed even tho theyve had her 3 years..jeny told her she shouldnt have them..the new laws etc..
my sis isnt on income support or anything that will let her have help..and i guess from past dealings with her..jenny wasnt going to take nay rubbish off her..
she also told my sister that rabits are not easy pets to keep..

my half sis doesnt even have any idea what signs of illness or dental probs are even tho ive advised her for th elast coupl of years..shes never had a rabbit book or even borowed a rabbt book from the library in all the time shes kept rabbits!! and shes tillc lueless..

and jenny ried to explain how once a dental is aproblem it usually re ocurs often..and shes very worried about the spurs and the weird ridges on his front teeth..

maybe shes gone in and worried about how giles wil manage with no vet trips etc..and the dogs and the 2 eldelry cats..
i hope something postive will come of this and i hope i get to jeny to find out exactly what happened!

my nieces friends is bringing her and my half sis over on sunday to visit my mum..im right across the green !! Im getting blamed AGAIN for crying out loud!!

for over three hours i tried to explain that loving your animals also means medical care etc..and a decent envronment and being able to care fo them properly.not kissing and cuddling htem!! no wonder jeny shouted at her..i couldnt get through to her imagine how jeny felt ont he last round of that shift! ouch!

Sorry, but I think the Inspector is being fantastic. We need to be re-educating people that having pets is a priviledge, not a right.

If people can't afford vets treatment, to neuter and have no intention on educating themselves on their pets needs then they don't deserve to keep them.

You have done the right thing, for all the flak you get, you know in your heart the animals will be better off for it.

Ridges on the incisors can be indicative of a tooth root infection if the teeth are yellowed as well.

Caz

i have no idea what colour they are but figured toth ridges that are cause for concern for the rspca inspector must be bad!! And ore worryingly how long has he had it..my niece said he had a runny eye over a year ago!!:evil: :evil:

Runny eye as well sounds like a tooth root infection for sure - Zeus had a runny eye and ridged incisors with his.

Numerous oral and injectable antibiotics never quite cured it before he died. Generally an x-ray is the only way to confirm it and to show how bad the infection is.

Incisor extraction with antibiotic impregnated beads sealed into the wound is probably the best treatment but expensive judging by a fellow forum member that was undergoing this treatment with their rabbit at the same time as I was trying mine - they had better success!

Caz

Thats what i was afraid of..the rspca will have to take him for sure..shes got bad learning problems and has no idea how to even tell if he is ill..now shes saying his eye is fine and his fur is dry and no he never had runny eyes before..omg i give up!! the money is being sent to her from her hubbys fund he set up for her and his son before he died a few years back,..and the solicitor is giving her £600 to get al the pets vaccinated and giles th ebun neitered..and a dental etc and her rottie to be spayed...im hoping they will layit on the line about the problemshe will be facing..she needs it put bluntly to understand..
luckily i have ben told her next door neighbour has been keepingbuns fr years and at present has a conti..shes offered to help her get decent hay etc and has clipped giles nails etc..so maybe betwen her and my half sis maybe giles will stand a chance of some sort.

thanks ever so mych for the advice..i have told her what was said and shes like oh no his teeth are white with ridges he cant have that!:evil: :censored:
sigh..wish the rspca officer had done likei asked and handed giles over to me:(

Back