• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poppy report (spayed ) stiches.

Hi

you proberly rember me saying that Poppy was spayed last Friday 1st June .
well .

she came home ok since then. but on Saturday when she was fully recovered and she had just had her stiches on. well Poppy started to pull at her stiches and undid what the vets had put on her. and so she had to go back on Monday this week. to have new stiches put back on her again :? . then she was let home later that day. with No collar around her neck. so guess what she did next when I got her home again. that's right you've guessed it .

Pulled the stiches b*****out again :evil:
so any way this Tuesday came and Poppy had her new stiches in and she pulled them out to. and had to go back on this Wedsday to have stiches and glue used this time to hold the wound together so it knits back together again still No collar used to stop this .

the vets were going to use staples to hold the wound closed but boversly they thought against this in case she pulled those out to . :(

any way Poppy was here with me on wendsday night this week but she had done it again apparently the vet told me today (Tursday) that she would need stiching up yet again as she had undone the glue and stiches again .
the vet said to me she had used strong glue but it looks Like that did not work either as the wound was open again .

so Poppy is now today Tursday back at the vets having yet a 3rd lot of stiches put back on her wound since the op last Friday.

but I have been told that I won't proberly get her back until Saturday :( so their keeping her in for obversation i think . :) a wise desicion I think to.
also I have been told she will have some sort of collar around her head this time. appaently they are going to try and desighn her one that works and does not come off so she can get at her stiches again.:)

I just hope it works when I get and if i get her back again.:)

befor the 2nd lot of stiches I told the vet she picks and digs at the carpets at home. just to give them an idea of what she's like at home.
so weather they have took that on board I don't know but as long as she leaves her stiches alone Im not bothered .:)

also when she had her spay last Friday and they stiched her up then. for the first time . :(
they sent her home to me. with no collar on her and she was still under the general anastetic effect as she was woberly on her legs when trying to move around her cage.

was this right of the vets to let her home to me like this when she had her op done last fri ?

my mum thinks she ort to of had a collar on when she came home to me last friday after her spay op had been done. and I think the same to . :) :(
otherwise Poppy would not of had to of gone back to the vets today or any other day to have stiches redone .

Iam anyoyed at the vet practise. and also at what they said to me that if a rabbit has a collar (lamp shade thing )around their heads they moan at you and,or try to get it off them selves. as their heads are big and their necks are small ect......... :evil:
well that's no excuse.

Poppy should of left the vets properly awake and hopping with out wobling about like she is still under anestetic.
and should of had some sort of collar thing around her head .
I am disapointed in the vets their i have to admit this.

rabbits are prone to chew anything throw. the vets should of known this and acted on it. my Poppy would not be in this situation now if they had given her a collar type thing in the first place.

it's bad vetenary practise what they have done .

Wow she is a determined bunster!! I had a bun pull his stiches out but they restiched him and sent him home with a lampshade. I am surprised your vets didn't take this course of action a lot sooner; it seems the obvious answer to me. :?

-

I feel after all this that she should of not been Spayed at all realy . :( :(
if I had known Poppy was going to end up in this mess. I would of not had her done at all .

I think if I get another rabbit in the futcher I think I won't bother having it spayed or castrated no mater who say's .
if it's going to cours this much mess . :)
I realy won't bother. :( :(
unless it's life or death situation. :cry: :( :(

Poppy should not of had this spay and should not of had it done at this vetanary practis .:?

Personally I think you made the right decision getting her spayed but then you know most of us on this forum will feel that way. I would not advise using the same vets again as I have had "I can't remember" how many buns spayed and neutered and like I said only one has had any problems and they were dealt with quickly and efficiently by my vet. If I was you I'd find out who is head of the practice and write a letter expressing your concerns about the way Poppy was treated.

Unspayed does are at a very high risk of cancer and all the suffering that that causes. I know it's easy to say but please don't let this instance cause you to change your views on what is best for your rabbits in the future. Of course if you do decide to get another bun in the future you could get a rescue bun and they will probably already have been neutered so you can avoid the decision and worry next time.

I feel after all this that she should of not been Spayed at all realy . :( :(
if I had known Poppy was going to end up in this mess. I would of not had her done at all .

I think if I get another rabbit in the futcher I think I won't bother having it spayed or castrated no mater who say's .
if it's going to cours this much mess . :)
I realy won't bother. :( :(
unless it's life or death situation. :cry: :( :(

Poppy should not of had this spay and should not of had it done at this vetanary practis .:?

I'm suprised they didn't just use staples after the first time she pulled out the stitches. My rabbit Phoebe pulled her stitches out and they stapled her wound and she didn't touch it after that.
Although it might not seem like its worth the hassle to spay after everything you have been through, please remember that if you didn't have Poppy spayed she would most likely have developed uterine cancer in the future and required an emergency spay which would have been a lot more risky for her health.

Please read this article which i found the other day-
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=93465

-

Hi Chloaster.

I agree with you that Poppy should of had a lampshade thing on her straite after her spay op that took place last friday. she should of come home to me with this on her. despite what they said rabbits moan and ect...... pull the thing off from around their heads.
it sounds like an excuse to me. :evil:

I think also that Poppy has been droped either while still awake beeing carrid through to the op table. or has been droped while under genreal anasetic .
as when I got her home. and she was in her cage when she was more alert in her self. I tryed to stroke her sides. or 1 of her sides and she turned her head at me as if to bite me or growl at me .
for touching her where it hurts which was en't under neath.

I mean she could of been sore still from the op last friday. but it was Tuesday ,Wedsday this week when I noticed somthing was up with her .
I know somthing is od about her in her behaviour .

is their any way of acturly proving that my Poppy was droped ?
any sighns to look for or feel ?
as I realy need to know.

also one more thing Poppy is obversly going to be at the vets until proberly sat. i have a consern about what they are going to feed her and if she gets (runy poo) sorry .
when I get her back from them I think Poppy is going to have the runs when I get her back from them because they will proberly feed her somthing she's never eaten befor or had .
I have said to feed her on Pelleted food pellets but it's weather they actcherly do it or not ?
and give her enough hay .

I am getting a bad feeling that Pets go in to this vetanary place and don't come back to you at all .

espeshily afer their poor judgement on stiching beeing prevented from beeing pulled open again. :(

Sounds like an excuse to me too. Of course rabbits don't like the lamp shades but they prevent these sort of things happening :? I don't think there's any way you'd be able to prove Poppy was dropped, if indeed she was. I'd be very surprised if they were that incompetent. With all the stress and repeated trips to the vets and repeated stiching she may just be feeling completely fed up and wanting to be left alone which may be a reason she reacted when you touched her and why she seems off colour. Can you go and visit her whilst she's at the vets? At least that way you might be able to put aside some of the concers you have regarding her feeding and care.

-

:( Poppy is now 1 years old she was 1 in May this year 2007.
just to let you know how old she is .

I say I may have her vet practise changed to the 1 the family dog went to where we use to live. and the vet their that the dog saw was profeshional in his dealings with our dog until he died in 2001 of cancer near his liver at age 6 years old . :(
well he was actcherly put to sleep as he was throwing up more than he was so it was decided to put him to peace . :( kinder thing for him.
I took him for a walk befor he had to go and be put down and he just sat in the middle of the road. and would not get up as he was so sick evencherly he did get up but was reluctant to. any way he's at peace now.
and the dog was castrated befor we had him my family.
he was a rescue dog from an rspca .

also I would l ike to say that the vet I saw said they would ring me later today to let me know how poppy is doing at the vets. well it's gone passed their closing time now. and I have herd nothing from them about how poppy is doing or if she has had her stiches redone .
Iam now left in the dark as to weather she is ok or not ? :evil:

-

I don't think the vetanary practice let you see your pet in their. I think once you ve handed your pet over to them that's it. and you ve sighned a form for them to be took in to have what ever it is done to them . have done to them.
I think this place is a little stricked at this.
once the animal goes behind close doors at the surgery that's it unless your their to collect him or her .
at this practice. :(

-

her urin and poo is normal or was befor i took her in their. so i hope it's the same when i get or if i get her back again.
I hope they have not fed her stuff she will not eat does not like or even give her to much of. :)

Back