• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For wild bunny fans!

jbun1

Warren Scout
..and everybody else. I released the 4 wild rabbits that I have been rearing for the last few weeks yesterday. Thought I would share some pics with you :D

Piccy of one when I first got them, about 10 days old.
may07008.jpg

About 4 1/2 weeks old
june07012.jpg

Leaping all over my sofas!
may07030.jpg

Arghh, thats a scary looking rabbit :lol:
may07053-1.jpg

Quick check over before release - they are 3 boys and a girl. :) They have been outside in a run for 10 days and are very wild indeed!
june07001.jpg

Let me go, let me go!
june07003.jpg

This was the only photo of the release with an actual rabbit in it :lol: - they were tooo quick!
Good luck wildie buns :)

Just for extra cuteness - this is a new one, having a snooze after his feed.
june07009.jpg

Oh goodness!! :love:

Do they cope OK in the wild after hand rearing?
I had a wild Bun from when she was about 4 weeks old til I lost her a few months back aged 7. She became very tame very quickly. I was too affraid for her to release her back into the wild. I hope I did the right thing :?

Janex

Aww, well done :D

How old were they/weight at release. He/she looked big in that last picture!

i would find it so hard to release the buns back into teh wild, i just cant help but grow attached.

looks liek youd id a good job tho :)

Thanks for all your comments. :D

Yes it is hard not to get attached to them, especially the first few I reared. Just have to look through their cuteness and appreciate the fact that they are wild animals. :)

Oh goodness!! :love:

Do they cope OK in the wild after hand rearing?
I had a wild Bun from when she was about 4 weeks old til I lost her a few months back aged 7. She became very tame very quickly. I was too affraid for her to release her back into the wild. I hope I did the right thing :?

Janex

Hi Jane,
I remember reading about your wild bun (Katie?) she obviously coped well and I think you would have known if she was unhappy. :)
It is amazing really how quick they 'wild up' though without human contact. I suppose their natural instincts kick in. They were tame whilst with me but just a few days in an outside run and they were acting just like wild buns should: freezing and hiding or flinging themselves into the sides of the run in a desperate bid to get away! If I had any doubt that they would cope any less than a bun brought up in the wild then I wouldn't do it.
Its only natural to be worried what will happen to them, as it is a dangerous world out there!

Thanks Tamsin,
They were about 7 weeks old, it was the largest boy in that last photo who was 466g. The smallest was the little girlie at 390g. :)

Thanks for all your comments. :D

Yes it is hard not to get attached to them, especially the first few I reared. Just have to look through their cuteness and appreciate the fact that they are wild animals. :)

Hi Jane,
I remember reading about your wild bun (Katie?) she obviously coped well and I think you would have known if she was unhappy. :)
It is amazing really how quick they 'wild up' though without human contact. I suppose their natural instincts kick in. They were tame whilst with me but just a few days in an outside run and they were acting just like wild buns should: freezing and hiding or flinging themselves into the sides of the run in a desperate bid to get away! If I had any doubt that they would cope any less than a bun brought up in the wild then I wouldn't do it.
Its only natural to be worried what will happen to them, as it is a dangerous world out there!

Thanks Tamsin,
They were about 7 weeks old, it was the largest boy in that last photo who was 466g. The smallest was the little girlie at 390g. :)

With Katie it was when she became terminally ill that her 'wild instincts' came back. That was after 7 years so I guess the 'wildness' never really leaves them.

Janex

What a lovely story and thank you for sharing the pics. I've seen some half wild buns round at Karens and was amazed at the difference in their characteristics. They were incredibly fast and belted up a ramp and through a tiny hole in the blink of an eye :lol:

I'm sorry I missed the beginning of this story, would you mind telling us how you came about them

Aww... they are lovely!! :)

Perhaps an unrelated question, but I know someone who has just had an unexpected litter (wasn't her fault - she took the bunny in pregnant), and the babies will be half wild on the buck's side. Does that make a difference to how they will behave if they are fully domesticated from birth?

Back