• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please, I can't work out what this is!!

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
I've just noticed this on Travis' back. It's about 3 inches from his neck toward his right hand side. I only noticed it as he was over zealously grooming it. It's not pussy, has scabbed over, and there's no swelling around it. There's also another one, about a centimetre away that looks like it's all dried up, but that one could be from his injections last week? (metacam, baytril and metoclopromide? sp!)

His fur is tip top, just a little sparse where this is, no sign of any mites etc.

I was tempted to put some sudocrem on it, but thought it might be best just to leave it to dry out itself and keep an eye on it. Any ideas on what it could be? I've narrowed it down to a bite, or a graze/scratch, but it's quite big for a graze. I doubt it was done through grooming, as I've not come across Travis being barbered before!!

t1.jpg

Hi Jane, he had a baytril injection on Sunday May 20th and was on a course of oral baytril all week after that. What is it about Baytril that causes a burn? And is there anything I should do about it, or leave it to right itself?

Thanks!!

Hi Jane, he had a baytril injection on Sunday May 20th and was on a course of oral baytril all week after that. What is it about Baytril that causes a burn? And is there anything I should do about it, or leave it to right itself?

Thanks!!

I dont know why some Rabbits have a skin reaction to Baytril :? You can minimise the risk by using a different needle to administer the injection from the one used to draw it up, insure the Baytril goes fully subcutaneos, none going intradermal and massaging the injection site for a few minutes after giving the injection

As long as the skin is nice and dry just leave it alone. It may take a good couple of weeks to fully heal and the fur may grow back white.
If he keeps licking/scratching the area try applying a little Aloe Vera Gel. It is soothing and will rehydrate the skin

Janex :)

Thank you Jane! I'd scoured all of my books and could find nothing remotely similar, that's why I was stuck!! I'll just keep an eye on it then :-D

hi, my bunny got one of these too, it was from baytril and it came up some time after the injection (im talking days!). i just left it to heal up of its own accord and it was fine. its best to leave it but keep a close eye on it. i wuldnt bathe it as it has already scabbed over and is therefore starting to heal.

If you've ever had some splash in your mouth you will know why it burns:shock: :lol:

Urgh its awful and stings!!!!

Back