• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sticky poops and promax probiotic

gil

Mama Doe
hi

one of my rabbits has been having sticky poops and has been attending the vet for treatment. last week she got a dental done-she had moderate molar spurs and thought this would clear up her sticky poops. unfortunately it hasn't so vet has now given promax probiotic-2ml twice a day, for the next 5 day, it's a paste like substance. my question is what's the best, sorry easiest way to give Moet her medicine as i have already had a go and not found it easy. even tried disguising it on her parsley but she spat it out!! it's contained within a syringe thing.
my other question is i have 6 rabbits and they are all fed the same diet but only Moet is having problems. they get fed excel lite, carrot, parsley, spring greens, broccoli.
anyone with experience of sticky poops and giving promax to a bun, i would appreciate any advice!
thanks!:)

I'm no expert, but some people have had problems with Excel - not sure about Excel lite. You might want to try cutting down the pellets a bit too - how many does your bunny get a day?

I'd agree with trying her on less pellets and see if that helps. If a bun doesn't like their medicine I find the best way, when it's syringed, is to dip the syringe in a baby food, eg apple and banana, wrap bun in a towel, tip them on their backs and squirt directly into their mouth.

thanks, i did have her wrapped in a towel but not on her back so i will try that. will also cut down the pellets but she is paired with Chandon so I'm not sure how much of the pellets they each eat... they get some in the morning-about a third of a cup between them and same again at night along with their veg.
in fact must go and get them fed now :)

You may need to try cutting back the pellets, they really should only have an egg cup full each per day.

I have had awful problems with Excel in the past, even feeding that amount, and switched to Science Selective. But then I also know people have had the opposite problem, so it can depend on the buns.

You may need to try cutting back the pellets, they really should only have an egg cup full each per day.

I have had awful problems with Excel in the past, even feeding that amount, and switched to Science Selective. But then I also know people have had the opposite problem, so it can depend on the buns.

my bun was on the pets and home stuff when i first go him and over the last week I've tried switching to Excel as it was higher in fiber but even though sootys on about half and half at the moment he's still having problems. Over the last 2 days I cut down the pellets to one egg cupful (half from my hand and half in a treatball) and have lots of Excel super forage on standby which he seems to love and luckilly he's making up the reduce calories with hay and no more sticky poo's. I think I'll try the Excel light or the bunny basics, which seems really high in fiber.

will cut back more on the pellets too. she likes science selective but her husbun doesn't.... i'm tempted to try her fulltime on these pellets in case it's the excel lite that's causing the problems. it appears that her sticky poos arrive just after lunchtime-just been to check her and clean her up!
anyone any more ideas? thanks for relpies :)

You might get the result you want by just cutting down on the pellets (for both) rather than changing them, if the other bunny doesn't like them. The pellets should only be a small part of the diet anyway, so it won't do the other bunny any harm as long as he eats hay.

yes... have cut down on the pellets and have managed to get the promax disguised in the broccoli which they both eat but i don't suppose the probiotic will do any harm to the other bun. still a couple of bits of soft poop today but less than before so hopefully this is it clearing up!
they eat plenty hay as well.
thanks to all for advice:)

Back