• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit OCD? scruff licking

woodstock

Mama Doe
Well, i'm a bit worried about Tuesday... he can get into 'a loop' sometimes when he's preening himself. I'm wondering if it can be a problem - he sometimes spends a long time preening his scruff, and I'm not sure why, and sometimes he can look like he's being quite rough.

I got a short clip of him doing the preening thing before he sat down - but he can spend ages doing this.
Could it be a sign of a problem? or can it cause trouble if he keeps doing it? (should I interupt him when he does it?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYIxv64SZdc

I've heard that over-grooming can be a symptom of boredom, or stress sometimes caused by bullying or something?? But I don't know - I do know my rex Chocolate looks like she's attacking her dewlap when she cleans it

hmm - well he's got the whole dining room to play with! I guess he's a bit bullied by Egg... :?

I dunno - when it happens he's almost in a trance, and you could walk right up to him and tip him over if you wanted (not that I would! lol)... completely zoned out!

Is he suffering from it? Is his skin red or anything? I wonder if there's owt you can put on him to discourage it??

Is it a new behaviour of something he's always done. If it's new then I'd pop him along to the vet for a checkup :)

Rabbits can get quite engrossed in grooming. With another bun and lots of running around space I wouldn't think it's boredom. What age did you get Tuesday? If he's a rescue bun it's possible it's something he got into the habbit of previously and now it's just normal for him.

Rabbits will sometimes lick around them as a sort of I like you but your below me in the pecking order so I won't actually groom you type behaviour. It's also possible you spilt something yummy on the floor and he can smell in even if you can't :lol:

It's something he's always done (well, since we've had him)
He is a rescue bun, so perhaps its something he's picked up - good thinking

He's definitely quite a nervous rabbit - Egg, who is half his weight (1.6 kilos versus 3) runs rings round him nipping his bottom... and he gets really flighty, whereas he should really just stand up to her :rolleyes: poor tuesday :(

Back