• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worm-like things in poo

shaz

New Kit
Hi, I have 2 house buns acquired from a rescue centre in March. Four days after we first got her we noticed white worm-like things on Fudge's poo (about 4 or 5). For the next few days there were more sometimes just 1 or 2 or 3. They are about 1cm long, 1mm thick and white and quickly dry up. Both rabbits had been given Droncit on delivery to us and after the 'worm' occurrence I then gave the 9 day Panacur. Stopped seeing any more white bits for about 5 weeks but then they've appeared again - no more than 3 or 4 in any pile of poo and most often none at all. I took a sample to the vets which had dried up by the time we could get there. Vet said weren't worms as didn't have head or tail but couldn't really tell as were too dried. Have had to wait two weeks before Fudge obliged and produced another during vet opening hours! and took it to vets yesterday. Car was hot so that dried a bit too. They phoned me and said it looked like fly larvae (alarm bells) and suggested using Rearguard. I said but this has been going on 2 months plus Fudge's bottom is always spotless plus no flies in house particularly in March so she said could only be sure by sending sample to lab and I am waiting for her return phonecall re costs. I'm keen to know what they are. It seems unlikely they would be fly eggs. I've seen pics on here of fly eggs and they are dumpier and smaller than the things Fudge passes - the one the vet saw yesterday was dried up so may have looked a bit like one. I'm wondering if they could be tapeworm segments as descriptions I've read sound similar - but wouldn't the vet have considered this? I will follow up and get vet to send sample to lab but has anybody had similar experiences? Fudge is healthy, eats well and is binkying around the garden as I write this. Sorry this is a bit of an essay!

Sounds like pin worms, a dose of Ivomec should solve the problem - see if your vet will ivomec them if not you can buy it online from www.wormers.co.uk - its licensed as a cattle wormer but its regulary used on rabbits.

You can also get the bun to eat some thyme as this expels the worms naturally:) Just run your fingers over a pot of thyme or a thyme plant and give bun the little leaves that have come off in your hand:D
You can buy thyme plants in many flavours at garden centres so it's good to have some in the garden for them:)
Most of mine like lemon thyme:D

I remember Dougal had those and I was recommended to use pancure for the pin worms, not Ivomec.

I dose my lot with Ivomec 6 monthly and have done for about 10 years, it gets rid of mites too, marvellous stuff. Shame its not licensed but so little is for rabbits :roll: I've never used panacur.

You can also get the bun to eat some thyme as this expels the worms naturally:) Just run your fingers over a pot of thyme or a thyme plant and give bun the little leaves that have come off in your hand:D
You can buy thyme plants in many flavours at garden centres so it's good to have some in the garden for them:)
Most of mine like lemon thyme:D

VERY useful advice Jay!! I am noting it for future reference. Thank you :D

Janex

update re worms

After a lot of waiting for poo samples at the right time of day (best samples were usually after vet closing hours) I actually spotted 2 wriggly worms on Fudge's poo that looked very like the pics on the medirabbit article and different from the white threads I mentioned which were also present. As it was a Saturday evening I took a photo and took it and a printed-off copy of the pinworm article to the vets. Took a while before vet got back to me but they said yes it did look like pinworm (at last!) and that they hadn't come across them before! Took Fudge and partner, Biscuit, to vet to be weighed so dose of Panacur could be decided. They both had one dose then, to be repeated in 14 days and then again 14 days later (note: NOT 9 day course). The reason for the repeat dosing is to guard against reinfestation. We're currently within the last period of 14 days and I can report that have not seen any signs of worms in the poo since the first dose of Panacur. Incidentally, it is likely that the white threads I first noticed were probably threads of mucous, not actual worms, which can be a symptom of worm problems.(see medirabbit article). Thanks to everybody for their replies.
Sharon :wave:

After a lot of waiting for poo samples at the right time of day (best samples were usually after vet closing hours) I actually spotted 2 wriggly worms on Fudge's poo that looked very like the pics on the medirabbit article and different from the white threads I mentioned which were also present. As it was a Saturday evening I took a photo and took it and a printed-off copy of the pinworm article to the vets. Took a while before vet got back to me but they said yes it did look like pinworm (at last!) and that they hadn't come across them before! Took Fudge and partner, Biscuit, to vet to be weighed so dose of Panacur could be decided. They both had one dose then, to be repeated in 14 days and then again 14 days later (note: NOT 9 day course). The reason for the repeat dosing is to guard against reinfestation. We're currently within the last period of 14 days and I can report that have not seen any signs of worms in the poo since the first dose of Panacur. Incidentally, it is likely that the white threads I first noticed were probably threads of mucous, not actual worms, which can be a symptom of worm problems.(see medirabbit article). Thanks to everybody for their replies.
Sharon :wave:

From the Intervet site FYI:

Panacur Rabbit should be administered orally by squeezing the paste from the syringe into the side of the mouth. 1 syringe graduation per 2.5 kg bodyweight should be administered daily for 9 consecutive days. Dosing is recommended 2 - 4 times a year and at times of higher risk, such as when the rabbit is acquired, prior to mating and when mixing with other rabbits.

Thanks for that link. In the chart it said Ivormectin was completely ineffective in big bold red letters for this parasite. I wonder if Ivormectin is not considered useful anymore for anything, across the board? :eek:

I think ivermectin is only used for mites and lice these days, though it was traditionally used for worms..

worms/ panacur

I did query the 9 day thing with the vet and she said that was for e-cuniculi and it was different for worming. As I mentioned in my first post I did do the 9 day panacur back in March and Fudge was symptom free for a few weeks after but the worms returned. I can only wait and see what happens this time.

Sharon

I hope u don't think I was being rude or anything. I am new to bunnys, vaccinations and worming etc 7 days into a 9 day course so I was just curious.

They both had one dose then, to be repeated in 14 days and then again 14 days later (note: NOT 9 day course). The reason for the repeat dosing is to guard against reinfestation. We're currently within the last period of 14 days and I can report that have not seen any signs of worms in the poo since the first dose of Panacur.

I havent heard of this 14 days later course..... I thought the 9 day course is supposedly for 'prevention' and I thought the 28 day course was for when you know parasites/worms ARE definately present??? Hmm I'm a little confused now, only because I am currently worming myself, well not myself literally!:lol:

Thanks Shaz - I have found this really useful as one of my buns had the same a few weeks ago - thanks for your advice on PM:D :D

Back