• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vets worried me

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
ive just had to race Honey to the vets again because when i went to check on her about an hour ago she was weezing really loud! so when the vet checked her over he said she was very chesty but the fact that one of her ears is up and the other is down worries him :shock: what does it mean when when a rabbit has one ear up and one ear down? i always thought it meant they were a half lop :? please someone tell me the vet is very ill educated where rabbit are concerned :shock: as im now worried :shock: the vet also gave me another course of baytril to give her which i dont know why because it didnt really do much 2 weeks ago :shock: :evil: i really think its time i switch to another vet!

I'm sorry i don't have any answers/ideas for you on this but I'm sure someone will be online very soon who has experience and can advise. You are doing the right thing. Sending bunny healing vibes

Has your Rabbit always had one ear up and one ear down?
Some Rabbits are like that, sort of helicopter ears!!

If the Vet gave your Rabbit a thorough examination he/she would have checked for any sign of ear infection etc.
If the Baytril has not helped then maybe your Vet will consider a different antibiotic.

Janex

we call Maisie Helicopter Girl, her ears are all over the place :lol: sometimes they are both lopped, sometimes one lopped the other straight and sometimes the classic Helicopter both ears at right angles to her head :lol: :lol: :lol: she's always been like that and never has any problems

well recently her ear is staying upwards constantly while the other ones lopped :? i just thought she was a half lop :?

the vet never checked for ear mites he just listened to her insides :shock: i just put her weeziness to allergies but shes now been on dust free hay and a blacket for about a week now and her breathing seems to be getting worse :shock: her sneezings stopped though which is a good thing!

if anyone could give me a good bun vet within the Northumberland/Newcastle area il be much greatful i would like a second opinion from a educated bunvet.

TeaWithVoldy said:
Oh, please don't scare me too!

I've got a 14 wk half lop who has one up ear and one lop ear. It's quirky, I love it too bits, although I'd like it if once a while he can put the other down as well. :roll:

Beau always has one ear up and one down and the vet said its fine, and the rescue he came from said it was nothing to worry about :D

Baby rabbits can take a while to lop, so it's not unusual for them to start of sideways and go down as they grow into adults and their ears get heavier.

If you have an adult whose ear has suddenly lopped that's a bit different as it can be symptoms of an ear infection.

Tam.

I hope someone comes on soon to tell you of a vet in your area.
Respiratory symptoms can be very serious and need expert care. Bump :)

Back