• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After spay questions - help really squishy poo!!

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Scarlett was in for her spay yesterday, she was supposed to go in ages ago but I was concentrating on getting Buu done. And there is only one vet I trust there so I wanted to make sure I got him for both my girlies which is really hard to do at my vets :roll:

They said they would call me to let me know she was ok, but didnt :? I got sent home from work because I was sick so I called them about 4 and asked and they said they would be keeping her in overnight but she was fine. Trip was with her but I had to beg them to let them both go in even though they have that option on the admission form anyway :? I wanted to bring them home last night and the vet said ok you can take them home just call about 6pm to check that its ok. I must have phoned about 20 times and nobody answered the phone plus I left a message on the emergency answerphone and nobody got back to me!

I went and got them this morning and at reception I asked for a like breakdown of what I was paying for because Buu's spay cost about £130 and after reading a thread about it on here it seems really expensive compared to what you guys pay. So I checked the receipt when I got home and it just says

Balance as at 21/04/07 - £130
Scarlett re-examine - £40
Total - £170

By the way I dont mind paying as much as I have to for my bunnies im just annoyed that I have probably paid for them to stay overnight when I really wanted to bring them home and I would have if they had answered when they told me to call and it seems like a lot compared to the prices in the other thread :shock: I mean at the same vets Trips neuter was only £45!

Plus the nurse couldnt tell me how much Scarlett had eaten :? She said the food was eaten but it could have been Trip :( This is why I wanted them home with me last night so I could watch who was eating what!

They gave me Metacam for Scarlett. Is this ok? Buu was given Bio Lapis stuff for when she got home and I asked the nurse about that and she just said to give Scarlett the Metacam.

i'd say that was to keep them overnight the foster buns i take for their spays only cost between £40-£60 depending on the size and weight of the bunny.
when i got dillion neutered it cost £120 but that was because he took breathing difficulties during the op and they charged me for all sorts of drugs.
thats terrible that they never answered when you phoned
sorry not more help

A break down of costs should list the drugs etc. our have stuff like consulation, aneastetic, sutures etc. all itemised.

I'd suggest you write/call and ask for an itemised bill and write to the practice manager about your concerns re not being able to contact them or whether they had both eaten.

Tam

Thanks :D Scarlett is a small bunny and they said the operation went fine with no problems so its probably overnight stay charges. I had agreed for Buu to stay overnight because she is a bit of a difficult one :wink: But was told I could bring Scarlett home when I took her in the morning and then I was up all night worrying about why they werent calling me back so I could collect them :(

Tamsin said:
A break down of costs should list the drugs etc. our have stuff like consulation, aneastetic, sutures etc. all itemised.

I'd suggest you write/call and ask for an itemised bill and write to the practice manager about your concerns re not being able to contact them or whether they had both eaten.

Tam

Thanks Tamsin. Thats what I thought I would be getting but its just the same as the receipt I got for Buu's op. Just checked the receipts I got for Trips neuter and Beau when he wasnt well and those ones have everything listed so you can see how much everything cost :? I will write to them and ask again for an itemised bill.

I have had a few problems with this vets anyway its just so much hassle trying to see a certain vet there and im just wasting time being booked in with a vet that is allergic to rabbits when I ask not to see him :roll: I have been recommended another vet so will be checking that out and moving them :D

Sorry I have just noticed Scarletts poo isnt normal :shock: She has just done the first few since she got home and they arent in balls if you know what I mean :? They are really soft and long :( Is this normal after a spay? I sent her in with pellets and fresh veg she usually has at home, oat hay, timothy hay and a bag of mixed leaves from bunnybasics. She has just eaten a few pellets and some timothy hay. What should I do? She seems ok in herself and is hopping about a little and throwing her toys around. Do I get her back to the vets now? Or just give her hay for a day or two?

I'd cut out the veg. And is she still getting the Bio Lapis? Maybe the spay has disturbed the gut flora. :?

They didnt give me any and when I asked said just to give the the Metacam. I do have bio lapis in the bunny first aid box but im not sure if im allowed to give her that as well as the Metacam :? I have taken away the veg and given her some more hay :D

I don't see why not - Bio Lapis is just a probiotic, so shouldn't interact negatively with the Metacam in my view.

Several of my Does have passed squishy poo in the first 24 hours after a spay. At least her guts are moving. Just try to get some hay into her. Dont worry too much about the poo. Things should return to normal in the next 24 hours. Just make sure her wound remains clean and no poo gets stuck on it.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Several of my Does have passed squishy poo in the first 24 hours after a spay. At least her guts are moving. Just try to get some hay into her. Dont worry too much about the poo. Things should return to normal in the next 24 hours. Just make sure her wound remains clean and no poo gets stuck on it.

Janex

Thanks Jane :D She is going nuts for the hay so its not a problem getting her to eat :lol: I will keep a close eye on her wound xx

Back