• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What could have caused this? VHD?

pumpkinpie

New Kit
Hi

I wondered if anyone may be able to shed some light on this very sad situation. My mum called me early this morning to say my 2 1/2 yr old French Lop, Sam, was very ill. I went straight round to her house and found my usually very stroppy rabbit more like a rag doll. She lives outside in a huge enclosure with her companion and though friendly doesn't like to be stroke and usually runs away. This morning she just sat where ever she was put and did not fight at all. Her lips and gums where white. We called the vets and they said we could go straight in. The vet examined Sam and said she was very dehydrated and slightly tachycardic (sp?). He was not too concerned though and said he would take her in and put on on a drip then reassess her. I had to ring at 3 for an update. When I rang I was told Sam passed away just after 2pm. I am convinced this was VHD even though Sam was vaccinated (her booster was due 11/05/07). Sam was fine on Sunday morning when mum fed her - came for her treat biscuits as normal. She was seen in several parts of the run during Sunday so was moving about as normal. The vet said he was very surprised at her death but felt that as there were no symptoms VHD seems unlikely - I am sure this is not the case. We have decided against the post-mortem as it is a lot of money and we aren't guaranteed any answers - and it won't bring Sam back. Anyone any ideas though?

TIA

Sarah

I am so sorry to hear of Sam's passing :cry:

It really is impossible to say what the cause may have been, only a PM could reveal that. Obviously no vaccine is 100% effective but as Sam was vaccinated it would be extremely unfortunate ( and obviously tragic :cry: ) if she were one of the VERY FEW for whom the vaccination did not work.

GI obstruction can cause sudden death and would also present in a similar way to what you have described. Although I feel your Vet should have been able to detect obstruction on examination.

Once again, I am so sorry for your loss. It is even worse when we dont know WHY our beloved Bun has passed away :cry: :cry:

Janex

pumpkinpie said:
Thanks Jane. We are just in shock as we have never lost a pet to anything other than old age related stuff.

The other thing that springs to mind, and of course it would only be a guess, is multi-organ failure secondary to a congenital heart defect. Frenchies and other big Buns are more prone to heart disease. I do emphasise, however, that I am only guessing.

Losing a young Bun suddenly is especially hard, not that any loss is 'easy' :cry: :cry:

Janex

Sorry to hear about your rabbit :(

Jane - isn't there something which causes 'floppy bunny syndrome' or is that a myth? Just with pp saying her rabbit was like a rag doll it rang a bell

So sorry to hear you have lost Sam. I had a similar experience myself a few months back. I've never lost a pet 'suddenly' before, usually they get old and ill and you know whats coming, but my Noo-Noo died totally unexpectedly. She was also fully vaccinated and showed no signs of being ill, certainly nothing that alarmed me, or she would have been straight to the vet. I too decided that a PM was pointless, its inconclusive and wouldnt change things and I've had to try and put it to the back of my mind, which is really difficult, but I know I'll never have an answer.

I was also quite shocked at the time and I know how you must be feeling. Sleep tight Sam. xx

kayjay said:
Jane - isn't there something which causes 'floppy bunny syndrome' or is that a myth? Just with pp saying her rabbit was like a rag doll it rang a bell

FBS is an idiopathic condition causing generalised muscle weakness. The Bun is not just listless but cannot support itself at all. Often the Bun seems completely paralysed :cry: It does not sound as though this was the case with Sam.

There are many suggested causes of FBS, including Potassium deficiency or ingestion of a toxin. Similar symptoms may also be evident in cases of EC, after a CVA (stroke) and as a result of a spinal injury to name but a few.

Janex

I just wanted to thank you all for your words of support. I went to the vets today to say my goodbyes to Sam. The nurses were so kind. They had her lying on a pad with a blanket over her and talked me through the previous day as well as allowing me some time alone with her. We decided against the PM and are having a private cremation. We will bury her ashes in my mum's garden, where Sam lived. I am still very sad but feel better for having seen her one last time.

Thanks again

Sarah

pumpkinpie said:
I just wanted to thank you all for your words of support. I went to the vets today to say my goodbyes to Sam. The nurses were so kind. They had her lying on a pad with a blanket over her and talked me through the previous day as well as allowing me some time alone with her. We decided against the PM and are having a private cremation. We will bury her ashes in my mum's garden, where Sam lived. I am still very sad but feel better for having seen her one last time.

Thanks again

Sarah

A supportive hug coming your way............

Janex

Back