• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new bunny

judith1973

New Kit

I'm getting a 3 year old rabbit from a friend who can no longer care for it...is there anything I should know, I've never had one before.

Hello!
Well, I'll try to keep it brief, but there is lots to learn!!

Housing - as big as possible!! At least 2 foot head height and a minimum of 5x2 hutch with attatched run or similar. Must be very secure and fox proof if outdoors or you could have a house bunny!

Food - Unlimited fresh hay. Hay is so important - it should make up 80% minimum of their diet. Also a handful or so of good quality pellets each day like science selectives or Allan and Page. But find out what they have been having up till now and change them over very slowly (by mixing in it and gradually increasing the new food over a period of 10 days or so) if necessary. Also fresh veg every day like spring greens, celery, brocolli and so on. No iceberg lettuce and only occassional fruits or high sugar veg.

Vaccinations - VHD once a year and Myxymatosis either yearly or twice yearly depending on your local risk (ask your vet).

Have a look through the reference section or use the search facilitly - you will find lots of good info!

If you dont think spending ime with ahutch rabbit is going to be easy..then you can also keep the bunny as a house rabbit..theyre clean and you can train them to use alitter tray just like a cat and then youd have them around without having to go outside in rough weather etc.
This is not aimed at those who love and care for their outdoot bunnies just for someone whose not had the experience..before i get yelled at! :lol:

Lots of folks onhere can give you the best advice whether you have an outdoor bun or an indoor bun or one who lives half and half..theyll be along soon. good luck with bunny parenting..once you do it..youll be hooked!

thanks

She'll definately be a house bunny...my entire downstairs is hardwood flooring so it'll be easy to clean up any messes. I got her last night and she's been out of the cage for the majority of the time just checking things out. How do you housebreak them? Any suggestions would be greatly apprecialted and thanks for the responses.

Put the hay in the litter tray, they should munch the hay while having a poo :lol:

Also lift all poos up and put them in the litter tray.

Any pee, pees soak up with kitchen roll and put in the litter tray too, this will make sure she know to go there for a pee. Remember to clean the accident with a odour control to stop her going back to the same place. :D :D

Another way is to confine her to the cage(if it's big enough!!) until she is using the litter tray there, and when she is using the tray properly let her out of a short time. If she starts to "perform" outside the cage pick her up and put her on the litter tray.. Rabbits are pretty clever and seem to train themselves fairly quickly. Has she been spayed?

spaying

no she's not spayed, is she too old to do it? Also, her nails are very long, how is the best way to hold her when i clip them? She's very friendly and loves to be petted but I don't want to scare or upset her.

Hello,

I install all hayracks in top of the litter pans ;). So the most of the droppings went into the litter pans automatically. ;)

What I want to complete to the other tipps you get is - Rabbits are very social animals. So get a partner for your bun. If the bun is a male - you have to desex him by the vet. After six weeks (for this time he is still potent) you can socialize him with a female bun or another neutered bun.

If it is a female rabbit you can fetch a neutered male to socialize her with.

Let check the sex of your rabbit by a vet and look for a partner with nearly the same age. The other members of the forum can tell you - much better than I can - where you can get a second bun.

Greetings Kristina

Re: success

judith1973 said:
I've gotten her litter trained already!!!! :D

let the vet do her nails first time round and check her teeth. you can ask the vet to show you how and to order you some clippers, the whole lot shouldnt cost more than £20

Back