• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Eye! Update

Skye

Young Bun
Well if its not one it's the other! Tilly was spayed last Weds and pulled some stiches on Sun was at the vets yesterday with her - she may need to get them surgically removed she's back to vets on Fri.

Now Tobie isn't too great! Just been out to the garage to feed the buns there night time greens, and found Tobes with a really runny eye. It's not swollen or red, it's only one eye. Its like the fur round his eye is wet like he's been crying. I've cleaned it with salty warm water - was this the right thing to do? Not sure what else to do or what could of caused it. I'll take him to the vets in the morning but what could it be? And is their anything else I could do just now?

Hey sorry to hear your little fella isn't feeling too bright.

Just wanted to say that Nibs had this about 2 weeks ago, exactly how you describe. I cleaned his eye with some boiled and cooled water but that didnt really work so off we went to the vets. I got some eye drops which I must say instantly worked and by the next afternoon his eye was back to nomal. I think he may have just rubbed something into it when he was cleaning himself and the drops help get rid of this/soothe his eye.

The vet did say, and I know that a few people on here have had experience of this, that he may need his tear ducts flushed, but thankfully that wasnt the case.

I would say if his eye is still runny in the morning then take him to the vets and get some drops which will hopefully work a treat for him :D

Hi, my vet said if their eyes are runny it CAN be a sign of molar trouble. fingers crossed it's not that but I'd get it checked out.

It could be a teeth problem, or a blocked tear duct. If your taking him to the vets in the morning just keep an eye (pardon the pun) on him overnight to make sure he's eating, pooping and not in any discomfort.

You could try a bit of cooled boiled water and a cotton bud to give it a clean and a dry and pop a bit of vaseline on to protect the fur. Constant wetness can make the fur fall out around the eye.

Fingers crossed that your vet can sort it,

Nicola

Thanks for the advice. I've just popped out to check him again he's eat all his greens and was munching his hay. So he's still eating and pooping and weeing. Seems quite happy. I cleaned his eye again, I'll go back out and put some vaseline under the eye. And it'll be off to vets again in the morning.

I think I should just move into to the vets with the amount of time I've been spending their recently!! :lol:

Karen x

Just back from the vets, got some cream to put on his eye. There was no problem with his tear ducts, or his teeth. Vet thinks it's either a cold in his eye or he's bumbed it against something although there is no scratches on his eye. It is looking much better this morning so hopefully it'll be fine!

Karen x

Back